SASS Wire Forum

Who Shoots a '66 in .38/357

Ninety Caliber Al, 50218

The stock has slight more drop that the 73.

Less than the 60.

Check fit to shoulder while engaging targets.

Not just standing straight and placing on shoulder.

You may find you do not lean as far forward with a 66 as you will with the 73.

Is the stock still different between the two?

I know it once was, as I have an older model, but some say they are now the same.

Either way, you would want to try one first.

IF you want one for looks or variety, great. But I have enjoyed the ease of working on the 73.

I still shoot the Navy Arms '66 we bought for my Dad in 1970/71 for Christmas....sort of a way to stay connected to him ove the years.....38 special loaded with 9mm truncated cone 147 projectiles that feed SO well!!

Bugler

A lot of people said I would run faster with a 73 then with my 66. So after a couple years I bought a 73 and it has taken me a while to get use to it. But I believe I'm still more comfortable with my 66's. But you ask who shoots them? Your current World Champ shoots a 66 and man can Parker make it sing. So really it comes down to what feels good to you and what you use day in and day out. I've always said a man with only one gun is a better shot then a man that has alot of guns and flips back and forth.

Deacon Stone

I've got a an older '66 carbine in .38 Special. It shoots great and is very smooth. When I switched to Classic Cowboy, it became a safe queen. I wish it could handle .357 or .38+P loads, then I might have use for it.

Well, yes and no. There were a few for the chaparral 66's in 357m. Those gun were brass/gold plated steel. The problem with those guns was QC issues. That's why you don't see them anymore.

Ahhh.... Never seen one, still with a steel frame that's understandable.

Ninety Caliber, great meeting you also.

They don't have a pistol grip.

The rifle I always run is a 66 saddle ring carbine in 38 spl only. In my hands, it'll run between 2.7 and 3 on a reasonable sweep. Some folks faster. The stock's lower than my wife's 73 carbine. Both are fine, run what fits you best. Either will win matches.

I can verify that Hoss's '66 go very fast. Even seen it go full auto a few times!!!

Bugler

The rifle I always run is a 66 saddle ring carbine in 38 spl only. In my hands, it'll run between 2.7 and 3 on a reasonable sweep. Some folks faster. The stock's lower than my wife's 73 carbine. Both are fine, run what fits you best. Either will win matches.

And Lunger knows how to win matches. He's been the overall Champion at the Montana State shoot 2 years running. He picks up his rifle,the buzzer goes off and it's empty by the time you get your finger off of the timer button. :)

I have both '66 and '73 Codymatics in 38 (357 for '73), both 20", octagon bbls. I shoot the '73 for smokeless, the '66 for black or subs.

Both shoot as fast, IMO, however, the '66 is a bit heavier - that's the only difference I've noticed other than the lack of lever safety on the '66.

I prefer the '66 - just looks better to me!

Archived