SASS Wire Forum

...another school shooting

Which the radio press instantly jumped on and are breathlessly and urgently speculating on.

Every freaking time. Thats how the media operates these days.

Shooter reportedly dead. Up to 7 victims. Some fatalities. Press conf on now.

Two dead and several wounded. That is about forty miles north of me.

Wonder what in the world is going on. Reports that the kid was pretty normal

but he broke up with a girl friend a little while ago. Could that be the trigger?

Reported that schools as far south as Tacoma were on lockdown. For what

I do not know, but they were.

Two dead and several wounded. That is about forty miles north of me.

Wonder what in the world is going on. Reports that the kid was pretty normal

but he broke up with a girl friend a little while ago. Could that be the trigger?

Reported that schools as far south as Tacoma were on lockdown. For what

I do not know, but they were.

Also reports that he had been bullied. It'll be awhile before we get a correct story, if we ever do.

Also reports that he had been bullied. It'll be awhile before we get a correct story, if we ever do.

The kid was whacked out. I was bullied as a young fellow and had a break up or two while in high school and I would've never thought of doing what this maniac did.

GG

News just reported three police and a bystander shot in Northern California.

(Not that this has anything to do with the topic, was reading this when the report came on tv.)

Heard the shooter had been bullied, guess most people were bullied at one time or another while in school. It isn't an excuse.

News just reported three police and a bystander shot in Northern California.

http://abc7news.com/news/breaking-chp-reports-3-officers-and-one-civilian-shot/364775/

Looks like a good weekend to just stay in bed. :(

Nothing new about the "police shooting" in California on the national news.

Did see a report about a wannabe terrorist taking a hatchet to two NYC police, glad that the other officers put a few rounds into him.

And now they have a pic of the kid with a hunting rifle from his facebook page. And the anti gun rants start.

They (anti gun folks) don't need a picture of him with a hunting rifle to get their motors running.

No. But they love it.

Had it occured to the media that perhaps they are one of the causes of these tradegies?

Plastering the pictures of these murders all over the TV and front page only throws fuel

on the fire, IMHO.

The incident was triggered by the news media giving instantaneous fame to those who misbehave in this manner.

The media is not only the message, it is the cause.

edit:

BMC: Not only do we think alike (scary), but simultaneously (even more scary).

Who wants to be famous after they're dead?? No, I think the causes for these things is more complex. And not always the same. The biggest factor seems to be a level of empotional and mental distress.

The whole point for many of them is to do something dramatic that will garner attention -- which includes suicide. The disconnect is they don't realize they won't be around to witness the reaction. The other attraction to suicide is knowing they won't have to deal with the aftermath. That's left to the living to sort out the mess.

The kid was whacked out. I was bullied as a young fellow and had a break up or two while in high school and I would've never thought of doing what this maniac did.

GG

I woke up with an ingrown nose hair inside my left nostril. You didn't hear of me shooting up the Quik Trip today.

The whole point for many of them is to do something dramatic that will garner attention -- which includes suicide. The disconnect is they don't realize they won't be around to witness the reaction. The other attraction to suicide is knowing they won't have to deal with the aftermath. That's left to the living to sort out the mess.

Well it's hard to know exactly what they thinking isn't it. We can only speculate.

My speculation is that rather than fame they seek revenge against someone; another student, a teacher, bully, rival..real or imagined. That seems to be a recurring theme.

Well it's hard to know exactly what they thinking isn't it. We can only speculate.

My speculation is that rather than fame they seek revenge against someone; another student, a teacher, bully, rival..real or imagined. That seems to be a recurring theme.

As you said Bob, it's complex.

What concerns me is a generation of youths from families -- often well to do, it seems -- who've been left alone to raise themselves with violent video games, social media and Hollywood as their moral compass.

Who wants to be famous after they're dead?? No, I think the causes for these things is more complex. And not always the same. The biggest factor seems to be a level of empotional and mental distress.

Who? Psychos....

GG

It's pretty easy to just brand them as psychos.

Certainly there is almost always a high degree of emotional distress. Frequently, however they display no psychotic behavior at all before the murders. Sometimes just known as "quiet kids", usually above average intelligence.

Some of them do show deep problems like the Sandy Hook and Aurora theater killers. But then you have others like Jaylen Fryberg who was popular, a good student and seemingly normal until he opene fire and shot two of his own cousins and others. If they acted like Charles Manson it would be easier to single them out for help.

I don't know what the remedy is. I know it's not banning of high capacity firearms like the antis are yelling about again. It's maybe better trained staff at schools who can spot some early warning signs of seripusly disturbed kids. Teenagers are not rational adults in most cases. Their hormones are running amuck. They can have some pretty dark thoughts as they pass through the highly emotional state of puberty and try to figure out their place in the universe. Most get through it fine, but a few do not. That's the problem. How do you head these things off at the pass.

On a side note about the ranting of the anti-gun mob, I've seen the "high capacity weapon" term used 6 times on the news this morning and I haven't even made coffee yet. But Fryberg only fired 6-7 shots.

I guess they'll be advocating single shot guns only. Then no guns at all. :angry:

As you said Bob, it's complex.

What concerns me is a generation of youths from families -- often well to do, it seems -- who've been left alone to raise themselves with violent video games, social media and Hollywood as their moral compass.

To them it's a game, push the reset button everyone gets up and we start a new game, no harm done after all it's just a game

I consider them broken. We need to find out how and why or it will continue.

It can be a very ugly world.

Wish I had a quick fix, but alas, I fear that it will take more than some are

willing to give. Some of the daily fare on TV and in our movies does not

help the situation. I am not advocating censorship, but rather restraint

on the part of producers. But that is not the whole problem. Just a piece

of the puzzle.

It's pretty easy to just brand them as psychos.

Certainly there is almost always a high degree of emotional distress. Frequently, however they display no psychotic behavior at all before the murders. Sometimes just known as "quiet kids", usually above average intelligence.

Some of them do show deep problems like the Sandy Hook and Aurora theater killers. But then you have others like Jaylen Fryberg who was popular, a good student and seemingly normal until he opene fire and shot two of his own cousins and others. If they acted like Charles Manson it would be easier to single them out for help.

I don't know what the remedy is. I know it's not banning of high capacity firearms like the antis are yelling about again. It's maybe better trained staff at schools who can spot some early warning signs of seripusly disturbed kids. Teenagers are not rational adults in most cases. Their hormones are running amuck. They can have some pretty dark thoughts as they pass through the highly emotional state of puberty and try to figure out their place in the universe. Most get through it fine, but a few do not. That's the problem. How do you head these things off at the pass.

On a side note about the ranting of the anti-gun mob, I've seen the "high capacity weapon" term used 6 times on the news this morning and I haven't even made coffee yet. But Fryberg only fired 6-7 shots.

I guess they'll be advocating single shot guns only. Then no guns at all. :angry:

Psychos ... Period. Broken or not.... Still are killers....until that act happens it's fine to explore what is 'broken', but once they consciously or not start the killing....psychos.

GG

Its tragic enough that kids are hurt or killed in any situation, but does the news really have dwell on it? Maybe because a gun was involved and we have a anti gun bill up for a vote. Not much said about a accident involving a high or drunk driver in which 4 are dead and two in the hospital, they are not spending alot of air time guessing if the driver was smoking a joint or not now that it is legal. Our moral fabric is decaying at an increasingly rapid rate. Please excuse me for ranting.

Psychos ... Period. Broken or not.... Still are killers....until that act happens it's fine to explore what is 'broken', but once they consciously or not start the killing....psychos.

GG

I am not defending nor excusing. Simply pointing out that the problem is complex.

Psycho is an overly simplistic term we generally apply to the violently mentally ill.

How do we combat his? I sure wish I knew.

Archived