SASS Wire Forum

Opening day... How'd y'all do~?

Yesterday dawned warm and clear... and the doves were everywhere! :)

But I think next year I'm gonna spend some time at the trap range before the opener... them li'l grey rockets had the advantage yesterday! ^_^

Uh... anyone care to share a recipe or two? :rolleyes:

Take a jalapeno pepper and cut it in half and take out the seeds, lay a piece of cheese (I like to use Cheddar) in side and wrap a dove breast around that. Wrap the whole thing in a couple slices of bacon and hold in place with a tooth pick and put it on the grill over medium heat. When the bacon is crispy they're done.

Tree

edited: I haven't gone dove hunting yet this season, but I'm craving them now.

Take a jalapeno pepper and cut it in half and take out the seeds, lay a piece of cheese (I like to use Cheddar) in side and wrap a dove breast around that. Wrap the whole thing in a couple slices of bacon and hold in place with a tooth pick and put it on the grill over medium heat. When the bacon is crispy they're done.

Tree

That's exactly how we do them.

About 18 years ago I was sitting on a plastic bucket with 3 limits of doves to clean. I had just gotten started when a little voice ask me "Could I do that?"

My 7 years old grand daughter and I sat on buckets and cleaned doves. She cut the wings off with a pair of dykes.

Folks, it don't get much better than that!

Common southern methods:

1. Wrap the breast with a strip of bacon and pin it with a toothpick. Grill it with occasional dabs of your favorite sauce. Mine is a mix of lemon juice, pepper and green chiles.

2. Dove breast pie. Just like a plain chicken pot pie but with dove breasts and chicken gravy. Parboiling the breasts before baking the pie keeps them soft.

Tree

This is our recipe, also. We call them Dove Poppers,,,,

Did pretty well yesterday! ^_^:D

Cleaning Dove - memories that will last a lifetime. This was last night. Beautiful sunset, spending time with the family. Wholesome American livin' at it's best.

(Disregard the backwards hat on Purdy Tall - she's not as cool as she thinks she is)

10612626_10202818609131686_7035136035200

Shoot! It'd be cheaper for me to genetically engineer them from a European Species, raise at least 5 generations, and only eat ONE of them. . . the small one. . . than it would be for me to shoot at 'em.

But where's the fun in THAT?

BMC

if I find one I can afford , it will be what it is ,

I would like to find a Stevens 311 or a Fox Mod B

that and a 10 ga in the same would fill out the doubles

maybe an LC Smith could find some where to stay here also

CB (not much chance of finding em , for a while ) :lol:

Yesterday dawned warm and clear... and the doves were everywhere! :)

But I think next year I'm gonna spend some time at the trap range before the opener... them li'l grey rockets had the advantage yesterday! ^_^

Uh... anyone care to share a recipe or two? :rolleyes:

Hardpan, this helps a bit, but for dove a the start of the upland bird season, we have found we also need more passing shot practice.

Sunday at our trap club (the day before the dove opener), we set one trap up for doubles and, with our 20 or 28ga dove guns shoot 50 pairs from different crossing angles - NONE from the normal trap pad - most are postions even with the trap house or out in front, off to the sides.

Just to add spice, we have 5 man squad "teams" and bet against each other. Makes for a fun day before the opener.

It really helps both sharpen up your crossing shots, and get used to handling your lightweight hunting gun again (especially if you shoot trap).

Caution, it can start off a bit humiliating at first.....

EDIT to add that we call this "GOOFY DOUBLES". We also do it on New Years Day, but with 12ga trap guns.

I am still using my Old Man's Model 12 Winchester in 20g he bought new about 1938. It's even older than I am! Still does the job if I do my part. We did OK up near Corning, CA, our group averaged about 6-7 birds each. Hot fun!

Seamus

HC

after that , ya gotta get a .410 , to match , maybe even a 32ga :o

shotguns , are expencive and addictave

CB :lol:

Sassparilla Kid has a right pretty li'l .410 Baikal SXS, a gift from a good friend, with springs lightened by Two-Toes Bill Quickshot.

About five or six years ago - he was in high school at the time - I asked him if he was going to use it. "Nope... gonna stick with my 16." So I asked if I could use it. "Of course ya can, Dad!"

Well the Kid and his buddy wander off to the other side of an orchard, while his buddy's dad and I staked out spots on our side.

When they wandered back about 45 minutes later, he was surprised to see a pile of doves at my feet. "What the... who shot those?"

Why, I did, son! With YOUR .410! Wanna give it a try?

"Well... Sure!"

I handed him the gun, he loaded it, a grey rocket buzzed by and Bang! fell on the other side of a "bobwire" fence, but easily retrieved.

He was impressed. But for some reason never shoots it. Still prefers his Model 12 16 ga... even though with the full choke "it's like tryin' to shoot doves with a rifle, Dad."

Well Thanks, Bill ~ I appreciate the effort. :)

Mebbe them Wild Bunch-ers are doin' to the Mdl 12 market what WE did to the '97 market.

But I'd be kinda hesitant to buy a Chinese 12! :lol:

HC

I have run a Kaudanian 97 for lots of years , folks say they won't run , mine has a 2 didget sn

finally had to make a carrier pin for it , differant size than a Ninrico , or a Win 97 , them will interchange

still running fine , matter of fact , now it will feed from the mag :lol:

as for dove season , maybe I should take the LC Smith lw 20 ga :huh:

CB

Archived