SASS Wire Forum

cabelas pietta 1873 with low hammer, octagonal barrel?

Outlaw Mike

Has anybody seen this cabelas 1873 pietta with lowered hammer, checkered grips, and octagonal barrel?

Looks like it has a 1860 army grip too, btw. Pretty custom gun from pietta - is that strictly for cabelas?

I called my local store, and they don't have them. Asked if they can order them, the answer was no. Checked other stores inventory, the answer is no other stores have them... apparently they are made of unobtanium.

But they sure is purty.

EDIT:

Found this online:

"To help celebrate Pietta's 50 years of success and Cabela's long partnership in excellence with Pietta, we're offering special versions of the legendary 1873 Single-Action Army chambered in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 Long Colt. Models sport handsome grips, premium finishes, six-shot cylinders, authentic fixed sights and round barrels. Transfer bars provide safe, reliable operation. SA73-1911/LC and SA73-1915/LC models feature octagonal barrels, wide turned-down hammers, steel backstraps and trigger guards, checkered grips and color-case-hardened frames."

BigImageBaitGun2_zpsfeb52c0b.png

BigImageBaitGun_zps5d23e9e9.png

OM

Looks nice.

Good price too.

Surprised to see that Pietta went to the transfer bar.

When you said you checked your local store, did you mean a local Cabela's store or local non-Cabela's.

If you meant Cabela's I'm quite surprised that they weren't tripping over themselves to order you one.

Also some big box stores offer free shipping online if you pick the item up at their store.

Might go that route if you really MUST have this gun.

Funny thing about the pictures on their site: The nickle plated and matte black show normal hammers.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Waimea:

"SA73-1911/LC and SA73-1915/LC models feature octagonal barrels, wide turned-down hammers, steel backstraps and trigger guards, checkered grips and color-case-hardened frames."

So it seems only those two .357 and .45 with 5.5" barrels come with those features. They do look pretty cool!

OM

Looks nice.

Good price too.

When you said you checked your local store, did you mean a local Cabela's store or local non-Cabela's.

If you meant Cabela's I'm quite surprised that they weren't tripping over themselves to order you one.

Also some big box stores offer free shipping online if you pick the item up at their store.

Might go that route if you really MUST have this gun.

Funny thing about the pictures on their site: The nickle plated and matte black show normal hammers.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Yeah, well funny thing... it was in fact at Cabelas, in Glendale, AZ, and I told them I wanted to order them. I got a call back from the sale's rep. He said he was told by the guy that does the ordering that they cannot order any pietta items - they just take what comes their way.

The price on those guns seems really great, for the features. I'd take two of 'em if I could. But I can't - they're not selling them, they're not ordering them, they're just there on the website to make you go into the store, or at least that's how it seems.

Furthermore searching online the only info on that gun is from their site. I can't even see that anybody else got one of that model (1860 grip frame with checkered grips and octagonal barrel).

So I see this gun now as nothing but bait!

EDIT: Pics added to first post!

what really caught my eye is they are offering the Millenium in 44 Mag!

That one's in stock in Glendale, AZ, they had it right in the case. So there's a good chance they have it at other stores.

Howdy

Sorry, I just don't get it. The SAA was NEVER built at the factory with an octagonal barrel. They were always round. I just don't see the appeal.

I like the octagonal look too, sorta 1851-ish. They didn't make Vaquero's back then either! Who knows, maybe a smith or two did re-barrels for somebody back in the 1870's.

• 2 months later...

A Pietta e-mailed me back and said Cabelas should be getting them in 2 more weeks.

By the time they get to the stores??? Maybe another week or so after that.

I am going to run up to the one in Allen TX today and talk to them about making sure I

get a pair sent there for me.

Pietta has been doing a lot for our young shooters. What better way to reward them than to buy there product.

And this gun has some things I really like. I like the grip frame. I like the wider turned down hammer. Much like

the Super Blackhawk Hammer.

I am sure like the Octagonal barrel.

They've been doing that for awhile. I bought new one in '08 imported by Heritage Arms that had the transfer bar. Nice smooth gun, but sold it to put $$ toward something else. Mine had the standard hammer and I found it easy to short stroke like some Rugers.

Looking at that Cabelas page, is there an octagonal stainless model, or is it only the case-hardened version? All my CAS guns are stainless/nickel and I'd like to keep it that way.

Looking at that Cabelas page, is there an octagonal stainless model, or is it only the case-hardened version? All my CAS guns are stainless/nickel and I'd like to keep it that way.

only Case hardened version.

Howdy

Sorry, I just don't get it. The SAA was NEVER built at the factory with an octagonal barrel. They were always round. I just don't see the appeal.

I agree.

A matter of taste I suppose, but the originals and their clones look better to me, too.

Archived