SASS Wire Forum

Unique P-47

Subdeacon Joe

As you may never have seen one before.

640px-German_P-47D.png

RepublicP-47ThunderboltWithGermanMarking

"Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, With German Markings Was Found At A Luftwaffe Air Base At Gottingen Germany. The Fuselage Was Painted Olive Drab; Belly And Tail Yellow. All Guns Were Load

625313d1389131141-captured-german-aircra
This P-47 D2 s/n 42-22490 formerly belonging to the 358th FS, 335th FG had been piloted by Lt. William Roach who mistakenly confused a French airfield with one in Southern England and had landed at Caen. This aircraft was captured in November 1943 and delivered to the Rechlin experimental center. Later after receiving a thorough overhaul it was delivered to the Rosarius Zirkus. The original American paint scheme was replaced by Luftwaffe camouflage and the code T9 + FK applied.

And then there's the Air Corps Zero from the Aleutians.

The Germans had several flyable allied aircraft including at least one fully functional B-17.

As did the dang Russians, our supposed allies.

I know that just about all air forces would remark captured enemy aircraft with their own markings and test the hell out of them. This just tweaked my mind more than seeing others with German markings.

IIRC, the Soviet TU-2 was a reverse-engineered B-29, probably based on one that crash-landed.

The TU-2 was a twin engined soviet light bomber.

Actually it was the TU-4 that was a reverse engineered or perhaps a "xerox" copy of the B-29.

The subjects were damaged planes that landed in vladivostok after runs against Japan.

USSR was "neutral" against Japan until the very end of the war.

The copy was so precise that the label on the engines read Wright R-3350 just like the B-29 original.

And then there's the Air Corps Zero from the Aleutians.

The Akutan or Koga zero as it is known was damaged during the raid on Dutch Harbor.

Allegedly there is a photo of that zero trailing smoke from the damage.

The pilot attempted to land on the designated evac island.

The japanese plan was to evacuate any pilots who were forced to land on the island with damaged aircraft.

Unfortunately for the pilot he put his landing gear down and the plane flipped end for end.

The pilot was killed by broken neck. The pilots name was Petty Officer Tadayoshi Koga he had launched from the Ryujo.

The plane was supposed to be strafed so it would burn by other zeros from the japanese carriers but the pilots refused to strafe the plane.

A US Navy PBY pilot spotted the zero and later returned to the island to salvage it.

A great find.

There is/was an entire Squadrn/Signal publication devoted to Allied Aircraft heald and flown by the Luftwaffe. With the exception of the B-29s, the airplanes the Russians had, we gave em, lend lease. I don't recall if they ever gave ant back.

Coffinmaker

notice the jeep in the third pic as well?

then photo taken after the war ended?

There is/was an entire Squadrn/Signal publication devoted to Allied Aircraft heald and flown by the Luftwaffe. With the exception of the B-29s, the airplanes the Russians had, we gave em, lend lease. I don't recall if they ever gave ant back.

Coffinmaker

Millions of dead? We sent a vast amount of materiel there for a reason.

Millions of dead? We sent a vast amount of materiel there for a reason.

Huh?

Perhaps I misunderstood the quote, which I took to suggest that the Russians took lend-lease, but didn't give anything back. Maybe that's not what it meant, though, as I look at it again, hard to tell.

Okay I see. Actually Coffinmaker is correct. They didn't give anything back. I don't know if we asked for it but Stalin wouldn't have if we did. They were already gearing up for the confrontation with the West so the kissyface meeting at the Elbe river didn't last too long. The Russians kept billions of dollars of equipment we lent them to fight Nazis. And let's not forget the untold deaths under Uncle Joe's regime.

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6701/13354011.1149/0_c3f4c_6292848d_orig.jpg

Okay I see. Actually Coffinmaker is correct. They didn't give anything back. I don't know if we asked for it but Stalin wouldn't have if we did. They were already gearing up for the confrontation with the West so the kissyface meeting at the Elbe river didn't last too long. The Russians kept billions of dollars of equipment we lent them to fight Nazis. And let's not forget the untold deaths under Uncle Joe's regime.

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6701/13354011.1149/0_c3f4c_6292848d_orig.jpg

About as long as the free vodka lasted.

How about an Me-110 flown by RAF

Me_110C-4_RAF_NAN15Jun43.jpg

I assume they flew it a looooonnnnng way away from any AA units. :)

Archived