SASS Wire Forum

1/32 B-25J

http://s4.postimg.org/exb8gk6hp/B_25.jpg

http://s28.postimg.org/634j1gv7x/B_25_J_BOMB_BAY.jpg

This is the H-K model 1/32 B-25j glass nose. Took me about 3 weeks to complete it as there was a lot

of detail inside that no one can see, except the detail in the glass nose.

Second photo is the bomb bay with 6 bombs in it. Lots of detail that didnt come out in the photo.

At least I know its there..It was a fun build and the wings are removable. Great kit

Tascosa

Very nice job! Great subject, too. Maybe this will get Get UB motivated.

I love the scale, but stick to 1:48 due to space and cost. I have a Mitchell in my stack to be built. Planning on trying to finish up the P-39 tonight, or at least get close to it.

Thanks Doc, I like 1/32 as I can put in more detail.. I do have a couple of C-47s in 1/48th with D day markings and paratroopers jumping out... I will post those later. Once I finish my M-8 Tank Destroyer, and my F-86 Skyblazer I am thinking of doing a P-39.

Lets see some pix Doc....

Tascosa

Pics may take awhile. My digital camera died recently, and I can't get a picture worth a darn on the camera phone.

Very nice, Tascosa! You nailed the open bomb bay.

Excellent! Great detail!

The P39 was the reason my dad joined the Air Corps. He thought it was the coolest airplane around at the time. He never got to fly one though.

And on the cool scale, it doesn't get any better than the F86 as far as jet fighters go, imho. :)

Excellent! Great detail!

The P39 was the reason my dad joined the Air Corps. He thought it was the coolest airplane around at the time. He never got to fly one though.

And on the cool scale, it doesn't get any better than the F86 as far as jet fighters go, imho. :)

I grew up with F-86 and B-47 jets as the coolest man made things that ever flew.

The Panthers and Cougars were cool, too and B-25 and B-17 prop planes.

Later it was A-4 and F-4 jets and AD Skyraiders.

I walked many a mile on the flight line with an M-1 Garand guarding the F-86's we had in France. I painted Pogo on the nose of a Lt.'s F-86, and he also flew slot for the Skyblazers USAF demonstration team in Europe. As payment he gave me a ride from France to Tripoli Lybia in a T-33... wooo hooo.

I agree UB the F-86, for an A/C is just plain sexy!!!

G# I build all WW2 A/C and I just finished an Avenger... Again lots of inside detail that no one can see. But I know its there.

Thanks for all yer compliments...

Tascosa

I grew up with F-86 and B-47 jets as the coolest man made things that ever flew.

The Panthers and Cougars were cool, too and B-25 and B-17 prop planes.

Later it was A-4 and F-4 jets and AD Skyraiders.

Somewhere I have a book on SAC that my grandad gave me. He was an AF Reserve Lt Col. Great Stratofortress pics. I'll send it to you...when you move. ;)

I walked many a mile on the flight line with an M-1 Garand guarding the F-86's we had in France. I painted Pogo on the nose of a Lt.'s F-86, and he also flew slot for the Skyblazers USAF demonstration team in Europe. As payment he gave me a ride from France to Tripoli Lybia in a T-33... wooo hooo.

I agree UB the F-86, for an A/C is just plain sexy!!!

G# I build all WW2 A/C and I just finished an Avenger... Again lots of inside detail that no one can see. But I know its there.

Thanks for all yer compliments...

Tascosa

Hoo haa! For some reason I was fascinated with Avengers as a kid. My dad gave me a Monogram TBM kit that we put together, even though he was an Air Force vet.

I finally got up close to:-)one atthe Maval Aviation Museum in Pensacola a few years ago. One impressive plane.

And speaking of B25s, the first one I saw was when my dad worked at an aircraft repair company at Miami airport in the 50s. One of Batista's bombers was in for refurbishment and he took me to the hangar one saturday and let me climb up in her. Best day for 9 year old ever!

Now I'm gettin misty.

"Here's a toast, to the host of men who love the vastness of the sky."

Subdeacon Joe, thanks for the tip. Ive tried that with clear disks from my wife's makeup compacts. I put it on a C-47 and it looks better than just the props. I need to practice with it more. My lil blonde ranch foreperson (thats PC) donated them to me when her compact was empty.. Im too smart and been married too long to just appropriate them!

Tascosa

My Dad spent a 38 year career with North American Aviation and worked on the F86 & B25 among many others. He was in charge of production during WWII at the Inglewood, Ca. plant (now LAX) on the P51 and because of that was kept out of the military. I remember growing up and going to Family Days at the plant and seeing all the airplanes in different stages of production, it was something to behold in the eyes of a kid.

As a result of all the exposure to the aviation industry, it was my incentive to spend a 40 year career doing what my Dad did. I worked on the Apollo, Saturn II, B1A, Space Shuttle, F18, B2, F5 and YF23, along with a bunch of "black" programs. During college I knew exactly where I wanted to spend my career and was lucky enough to do just that. The jet age spawned some of the most beautiful airplanes ever built. Every time I see one I remember my Dad and how he talked about getting them from the drawing board into production......no computers then! It amazes me to what they did in such a short time.

Tascosa,

Nice model. What unit does it represent? My late father in law flew 75 missions as a tail gunner in the 340th BG, same outfit as Joseph Heller of "Catch 22" fame. He really lived the story the book depicts; was scheduled for 25 missions & they kept upping the requirement until he did 75. He was happy to take a ship home after that & never flew again until the late 1960s.

Seamus

Seamus Im ashamed to say I forgot. If I remember correctly is was some Unit based in the UK. And I chucked the box and the instructions... sorry

Glad your dad made it through 75 missions and came home! Those guys that flew those planes were just plain brave!

Tascosa

Finished the P-39 tonight. I stuffed fishing weights in every spot forward of the wheel wells I could find, but it still wanted to sit on its tail, so I had to make a prop. The kit came with one which was, of course, too short. Otherwise, I am pretty pleased with it. Pics hopefully to follow eventually. I will have to borrow my daughter's digital camera and see how it does. Otherwise, it will mean pulling out the K-1000 and some film.

Subdeacon Joe, thanks for the tip. Ive tried that with clear disks from my wife's makeup compacts. I put it on a C-47 and it looks better than just the props. I need to practice with it more. My lil blonde ranch foreperson (thats PC) donated them to me when her compact was empty.. Im too smart and been married too long to just appropriate them!

Tascosa

All of my aircraft are sitting on their wheels, not "in flight." I remembered seeing a tutorial online though, and actually found it, or at least one much like it:

http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/11537/Prop-blur-tutorial-Picture-heavy#.U1x1qq1dUwI

Thanks Doc. His blured props were great. It gave me a few ideas... Gonna try them out of as C-47.

There will. of course, but pictures to follow I hope.

Archived