SASS Wire Forum

Wet Tumbling of Brass

German Jim

I may be in the market for a wet tumbler. Any recommendations? Anyone use Harbor Freight's tumblers? How big of a drum should I get? I shoot .38WCF and sometimes .45s.

I have better luck with the stainless steel media. I shoot 45's and the ceramic medial sticks in the case and I have to pick it out.

You're use'n the wrong size media then.

Dave Maurer has 2 different sizes.

I clean/tumble from .32S&W to .50 BMG and never have a issue.

Just got to use the correct tool for the job is all.......

LG

+1 on the Thumbler.

I've used both ceramic and steel and the jury is still out.

I have an RCBS Sidewinder and a Thumbler Tumbler. Have used both ceramic and stainless pins.

The Thumbler is a much better machine -- more durable, more stable, holds more cases. The stainless pins are a far better media. They don't stick in the case, they are easy to clean, the get into the corners of the primer hole and the base of the case.

So, from experience the recommendation is Thumbler's Tumbler with Stainless Steel Pins.

I use a homebrew tumbler for wet cleaning. Ceramic media for brass with BP smudges, SS pins fer the smokeless. I will get some media stuck in the .44-40s. Dawn dish soap and some lemishine fer the solution.

I have an RCBS Sidewinder and a Thumbler Tumbler. Have used both ceramic and stainless pins.

The Thumbler is a much better machine -- more durable, more stable, holds more cases. The stainless pins are a far better media. They don't stick in the case, they are easy to clean, the get into the corners of the primer hole and the base of the case.

So, from experience the recommendation is Thumbler's Tumbler with Stainless Steel Pins.

The ceramic media I use, does the same as you're see'n with the 'pins'.

Cases come out spotless, and are polished inside and out including the primer pocket.

This is after shooting BP in many calibers.

LG

I have a Harbor Freight tumbler, single drum and it's too small to tumble all my 38Wcf brass. I shoot around 120 each match and have to split up the tumbling. Also I'm using media from Big Lube ; it cleans the cases good but gets stuck in the cases sideways and won't clean the primer pockets. I'm either going to get a Thumbler tumbler or build me one that will handle all my cases. The Harbor freight tumbler is just too small.

I love shooting the 38WCF with REAL BP. Mad Dog McGee

Right now Im using a Thumlers Tumbler Model B with Stainless steel pins. When ever Im reloading, its like Im reloading with bran spanken new brass every time. Yes it gets my brass that clean inside and out. Sure its not needed in this Cowboy game but thats the way I like it. If you want the Cadillac machine of wet tumbling, get the new "Extreme Tumbler Rebel 17". Its pricey at over 200 bucks but its well built and will last you. The Thumlers Tumbler is built a little rickety but it gets the job done. Check these guys out. >>>> http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I really like the stainless pins for tumbling. I hate the rinsing and drying time. It will stick in the necks of some bottle neck rifle cases. 6.5 Creedmor for sure. It does a great job cleaning the primer pockets.

I am working on building a much bigger drum and seperating and rinsing system.

I also have a Harbor Freight 2 drum setup....2 3 lb drums....you can see it here. I've only run fine walnut shell media in it but have wondered about using stainless steel media.

I went to stainless steel last season. Love it. Sold all dry/vibratory equipment. I use the double cannister cheap Harbor Freight tumbler.

I also have a Harbor Freight 2 drum setup....2 3 lb drums....you can see it here. I've only run fine walnut shell media in it but have wondered about using stainless steel media.

When the belts break on those tumblers and they will. DO NOT buy the replacement belts, get some of those rubber band type hair ties, they fit, work better and last a lot longer

Had my Thumblers for over thirty years. Still works great. went to ceramic about fives years ago. Going to try S.S pins for 32/20, 38, 22 hor

JA_

I've been using ceramic media in an RCBS sidewinder tumbler since 2001. The media was larger that that supplied by Dave Maurer, so I began using his in '04 or '05. Works great for me. I've read that stainless pins will raise a wire burr on case mouths, so I have not tried it.

For drying the wet brass I drain the cases thoroughly then drop them into a vibratory tumbler filled with plain corn cob media for about half an hour. They emerge dry and shining.

I really like the stainless pins for tumbling. I hate the rinsing and drying time. It will stick in the necks of some bottle neck rifle cases. 6.5 Creedmor for sure. It does a great job cleaning the primer pockets.

I am working on building a much bigger drum and seperating and rinsing system.

Drying brass is easy. Just lay them out on an old towel then roll them around then sit them out in the sun for a few of hours. No sun you say and need them fast? Old cookie sheet will do. Bake them in the oven at 225 for 20 minutes. Wait until wife is gone first. Dont try this with live ammo! :lol: As for media sticking in brass. I never had this problem and Im loading .223 Rem, 22-250. Very small necks. I use and recommend one of these to knock them around realy good. >>> http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183204/frankford-arsenal-quick-n-ez-rotary-media-separator-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Archived