SASS Wire Forum

Maybe a Change of Direction?

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like most of us, I enjoy the shooting sports. .45 Colt Vaqueros, a .45 Colt Henry Big Boy, an AyA 10 gauge 3-1/2" double, a .44 Rem Mag Henry BB for LR side matches, a .44 Rem Mag Vaquero for LR pistol, a Marlin .38-66 for LR side match, a long barrelled AyA for cowboy trap, a .41 Long Colt Thunderer for pocket pistol, a Bond Arms derringer, .22s for side matches, cap & ball, .50=140 Sharps for Buffalo and Quigley, plus BPCR, etc.

Then, we have hunting revolver, rifle caliber singleshot, rofles, shotgns, bullseye pistols, plinking guns, guns for my grandchildren, etc. so a plain .451911A1, and an 1897 addition is max nix!!!! :-)

SASS, CFDA, NRA. and any other one I can shoot are my favourites.

The idea that acquiring the guns for entry into a discipline is a barrier is just so much BS!!!

Actually, having to buy guns in order to participate can be a barrier to a whole lot of folks. I was lucky when I decided to start CAS, as I only had to buy two, and got them for less than $600.00 total. If I hadn't already had two CAS legal guns, I'd still be watching from the sidelines. I've only added a couple more since I started back in '99.

I can see why the WB purists want to keep it .40+ calibers. It keeps the playing field level. On the other hand, 150PF is 150PF, whether it's a .45 or a .38.

I'd like to try WB, but I only have two of the required guns, and about 8 or 10 magazines short of what seems to be needed. Since my desire to try the game is less than my desire to buy a '97, and a bunch more magazines, I doubt I'll ever try. But if, in the future, the rules makers decide to allow .38 caliber rifles, maybe they'll also decide to allow my '87.

BTW, threads like this one remind me of why there is only one Holy Bible, but 73 gazillion different denominations, the majority of which are the only ones with the correct interpretation of said Bible. :)

Simple solution to this thread:

1) Any club can decide to hold a shooting event with whatever rules they so choose. If said club doesn't choose to follow all of the present SASS/CAS/WB guidelines/rules , fine, just don't call the club shooting event one of those, so people don't come with the expectations of other SASS/WB matches with their posted rules/requiremets. Perhaps call their new tailor made event, "Shootum-Up" or "Mild Bunch" or shoot what you bring bunch.

2) By doing item #1, you can then allow 22's 38's, +40 calibers. You can allow Glocks, standard 1911's and the shorter 1911's, even 870's if you wish. You can start with the 150PF and work up/down with that concept. You can relax the costume requirements.

I believe someone has already mentioned their club offering a Mild Bunch shoot,,, I know of one that has.

Anyway, try that out, rather than arguing about, trying to change, and name calling others over a present organized shooting event.

Just saying....

WB is no different then other sports or games. Rules are set up, and equipment is listed as the requirement to play or participate. Myself, I bought the equipment to meet the requirement to participate, but no longer participate because many of the clubs I would, I was competing against I was competing against 1911 in anything from .22s to 9MM. Slicked up, spread eagle openings for the magazines. .22 to .38 rifles.

Either there is an interest, or there isn't. Most clubs don't even have a WB match, nor side-matches to stir the interest. Downsizing the calibers or firearm requirements only dilute the game, and cause problems at bigger matches were shooter want changes in requirements.

As to supplying each member of the family with their own sets, why not 1 set passed around to see if there is interest in all members?

As I stated, I no longer shoot nor participate in WB because of all the leeways given at some clubs, its not fun, nor enjoyable anymore. Except for holster, belt, magazine holder. Buying a 1911 that met the requirement cost me new, 395.00, used .45 Rossi rifle 295.00. Already had a 97 as most have. MT

This thread is great.

Talk about tellin' cowboy tall tails around the campfire!

Some of these posts are obama-sized woppers!

Hello,

I've noticed that people don't seem to insult each other on the WBAS forum. Maybe that is why this thread is progressing so negatively here; because folks think they can.

I think the OP was intended to point out what he thought was a positive change of direction and to encourage more CAS shooters to try WBAS. You can only do that by posting on a CAS forum as that audience won't read the WBAS forum.

Whatever, I think this thread is going in a non-productive direction and, as a wise man would write, it is time for tempers to cool.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived