SASS Wire Forum

Where do you buy bullets for 38 S&W

Marlin Buckhorn,SASS 51727

Might start loading 38 S&W. Now the references I have looked at say they use a .361 diameter bullet. My bullet supplier doesn't do these so I have a couple of questions;

1. What diameter bullet do you use.

2. What grain bullet do you use.

3. Where do you buy them.

4. What else should I be asking.

I would be shooting these in a 3rd Model S&W Auto Ejection (Top Break)

All help is appreciated,

Marlin

Howdy Marlin, Missouri bullet has .361 at the link below.

Missouri Bullet

The biggest question is how old is your gun? If it's a 3rd model .38 double action (spur hammer) or safety hammerless, do not use smokeless loads. BP only as these old top break pocket pistols weren't meant for smokeless loads, no matter how light.

.38 (medium, No. 2 frame size) 3rd model with spur hammer : SN 119,001 - 322,700; made from 1885-1895

.38 (medium, No. 2 frame size) 3rd model safety hammerless : SN 42,484 - 116,002; made from 1890-1898

Generally speaking, any pre-1900 gun should not be used with smokeless

Another issue is the condition of your S&W. Many of them look ok but are worn out and not safe to shoot. Get it checked out.

good luck!

Howdy

.360 is the diameter that I often hear quoted for 38 S&W. Anyhoo, I have used these. They are only .359 diameter, but they work fine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2046424229/hunters-supply-hard-cast-bullets-38-caliber-359-diameter-100-grain-lead-flat-nose

P.S. I do not use these with Smokeless in an old Top Break such as you describe. They are lubed with hard lube, so I use them with APP. I suppose if I was ambitous enough I could melt the lube out and pan lube them with a BP compatible lube so I could shoot them with real Black Powder, but I am a bit too lazy to pan lube bullets any more.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the gun is earlier than I thought. Last patent date on the barrel is Jan. 8, 1882. Serial number is 175xxx. With info supplied by Deadwood Slim, thank you very much, it appears the gun was produced around 1886 +or- a year or so.

Thanks again guy. Any further info from anyone?

Marlin

If you cast your own, Lee makes a 125 grain mold that throws .361 consistantly. It is listed as #90574. Double cavity. They also have a six cavity for that bullet.

At the distance, and as little as we usually shoot them, any 38 cal lead bullet (.357 or .358)loaded on top of APP will work fine. Just make sure you have a good crimp and fill the case to the bottom of whatever bullet you use.

Get mine from bandit shooting supply/ Rushmore ammunition, they make the bullets for Black Hills Ammunition and are very high quality & reasonable.

http://www.banditshooting.com/

Charlie

www.betterbullets.com has a .360", 158 grain round nose that I use to excellent effect.

In fact, I get a lot of my bullets from them.

Buffalo Arms aslo has a .358" 150 grain hollow base bullet. I originally got it for use in 38 Short and Long Colt, but it works pretty good in the S&W round as well.

Don't really need another hobby! :lol:

Ditto. Ain't enough hours in the day! :D

• 2 weeks later...

www.betterbullets.com has a .360", 158 grain round nose that I use to excellent effect.

In fact, I get a lot of my bullets from them.

Buffalo Arms aslo has a .358" 150 grain hollow base bullet. I originally got it for use in 38 Short and Long Colt, but it works pretty good in the S&W round as well.

count me in as another fan of BetterBullets.com. I was paying high $30's for 500 200gr 45s

Update: last batch was $47, may have included 6% PA tax.

Archived