SASS Wire Forum

tax break on gun safes

Cash Duckett

Firearms Industry Praises U.S. Rep. John R. Carter For Introducing Secure Firearms Act

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industry, today praised U.S. Rep. John R. Carter (R-31, Texas) for his introduction of the bipartisan Secure Firearms Act.

"The members of America's firearms industry thank Rep. Carter for his leadership in offering a real bi-partisan solution that will help make our families safer," said Lawrence G. Keane, NSSF Senior Vice President and General Counsel. "Helping firearms owners responsibly and safely store their firearms when they are not in use so that they are inaccessible to unauthorized and at-risk individuals provides a practical and proven way to increase the safety of our homes and communities."

The Secure Firearms Act will provide up to a $1,200 federal income tax deduction for the purchase of a gun safe, or other safety devices, through Dec. 21, 2014. The act would also prohibit the Internal Revenue Service from using tax deduction claims to produce any kind of gun ownership registration.

As the leading organization to promote firearm safety, NSSF launched Project ChildSafe in 2003 specifically to educate gun owners on their responsibility to keep their guns out of the wrong hands, and provide the tools to help them do so. Through partnerships with law enforcement NSSF has distributed more than 36 million free firearm safety kits and safety information to gun owners throughout the U.S. as part of this program, and between 2000 and 2010, fatal firearm accidents dropped 22 percent. Firearms accidents are now less than 1 percent of all fatal accidents in the United States.

The Secure Firearms Act is also endorsed by the National Rifle Association.

I post similar suggestions on the Wire a few months back with no fanfair comments.

Guess folks thought it was a stupid idea at the time.

..........Widder

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I post similar suggestions on the Wire a few months back with no fanfair comments.

..........Widder

Shucks... Widder...

Nobody thought it was a stupid idea... just some of us thought the idea made too dam much sense... to ever be passed by Congress.

BTW... congrats on the speed shotgun... ya done good.

ts

You are just always ahead of the curb Widder! I think it is a great idea. I for one would buy a bigger safe if it was tax deductible.

Well Widder, I need another safe so I will use this as a good reason to get one. Been looking at the new Revolution by Pendleton. It has an electric turntable so you don't have to pull out all the guns to get to that one in the back, moisture control, and lights. Now, what color?

Cash

Hell... I'm gonna sell one of my safes to a neighbor... and then buy it back from him.

ts

when was this bill submitted, and when can I get the credit, Starting when?

KK

http://carter.house.gov/press-releases/secure-firearms-act-to-reduce-gun-violence-introduced-by-carter-cuellar/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

..........Widder

nimbleSOB, I think its a great idea. I've been looking at getting a better safe (read that "more room") anyway. It'd be good if Uncle Sam helped me out.

..........Widder

Musta missed that'n. I think it's way past time... should be retroactive to... say... any safe bought since 1945... and the credit needs to be at least quadrupled!

..........Widder

Never saw the post.

Howdy,

I see one question here.

If you take this deduction the US gummint forever and ever has a record of it.

There would always be a potential of that $1200 deduction being used to create

a list of places to visit.

Im not sure that 'no list provision' would be honored FOREVER.

Each pard gits to make up their own mind on this one.

Best

CR

Never saw the post.

GG: I'm gona try to find it. But I think I put it on one of those political post and it was moved to Col.Dan's site.

..........Widder

GG: I'm gona try to find it. But I think I put it on one of those political post and it was moved to Col.Dan's site.

..........Widder

Well..If I had seen it I would thought it a good idea/incentive for folks to get on the ball and lock their firearms up when away...you being a Jedi and all I reckon your already ahead of the game :D

Howdy,

I see one question here.

Best

CR

I'll take the $1,200. They can visit my P.O. box.... my tax return address.

ts

Howdy,

I see one question here.

Best

CR

Thought about that too...but figure since all my guns are registered (or have some record when I bought them from an FFL) they already know.

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

I'm pondering here----

If you submit it...They know you own guns.

MG

I'm pondering here----

MG

They can assume. What if I wanted the safe for a samurai sword collection... or my ingots of gold bullion? ;)

GG

its a trick

declare the GUN safe on your irs form, and that will be entered into a searchable ideal for a special interest list

LOL

yikes

if you think I am kidding, then get a load of these facts

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/irs-apologizes-targeting-conservative-groups

update

its bushs' fault

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/carney-irs-run-bush-political-appointee_722149.html

I'm pondering here----

MG

hmmm.... and if you don't submit... they do not know that you own guns?

(With all the FFL transactions?)

My take is... they only know that you own a gun safe. See no where that it says to declare your guns.

A person could buy a gun safe to keep all his valuable Obama Inauguration and Memorabilia stuff in it.

ts

A person could buy a gun safe to keep all his valuable Obama Inauguration and Memorabilia stuff in it.

ts

ssshhhh.... of course... person could get an outhouse for the same purpose.

ts

I just wish the politicians would stop using the bloody tax code to play favorites with anyone. That's why it gets so dag-blasted complicated.

Simplify the mess, a LOT. And go back to gridlock. At least then you don't take any more freedom from us.

I just wish the politicians would stop using the bloody tax code to play favorites with anyone. That's why it gets so dag-blasted complicated.

Simplify the mess, a LOT. And go back to gridlock. At least then you don't take any more freedom from us.

True...

GG

Kind of my point. Everybody is for something when it is favorable for them.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say government in any form should not recognize marriage. Any time government takes a stand or recognition of any group, it really only serves to diminish people (and ideals) and ultimately sets it at odds with some other perceived group (mostly politicians of another persuasion looking to take away to give to someone else).

They can keep there damned tax breaks and deductions if they'd just do their jobs and stay outta the way or like Doc said, stay gridlocked.

The only objective criteria the government needs to look at is: are you alive, do you pay taxes (we'll serve you) and are you a citizen (you will be afforded certain rights and privileges not afforded to non-citizens).

Groucho Marx said it best:

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

The tax code allows for the deduction of the cost of a Safe Deposit Box at your local bank for the purpose of storing your important documments. I believe it is accepted by the IRS for an individual to own a home safe for the same purpose as long as it's "Fire Rated". Maybe some of the tax experts can chime in on this. This makes perfect sense to me and no mention on any IRS form about storage of guns or calling it a "Gun Safe".

WJ

The tax code allows for the deduction of the cost of a Safe Deposit Box at your local bank for the purpose of storing your important documments. I believe it is accepted by the IRS for an individual to own a home safe for the same purpose as long as it's "Fire Rated". Maybe some of the tax experts can chime in on this. This makes perfect sense to me and no mention on any IRS form about storage of guns or calling it a "Gun Safe".

WJ

I keep a small document fire safe inside my GUN safe. I sould get two deductions? My pirate treasure map is very important to me, must keep it safe.

Archived