SASS Wire Forum

question my son asked my wife

Trigger Mike

Try a transistor radio, they didn't have Walkman's when in was in High School.

Well I remember having to lash down the Victrola to my burro when I wanted to listen to music on the go. Back then rich men used to fly around in Zeppelins and throw silver dollars to the people. We would stand around for hours looking for Zepplelins in the sky with only our Donkey Music to pass the time. When we finally did get a silver dollar we would run to the Soda Shoppe for a Sassparilla. It came out of a big silver elephants trunk...we called that "Seeing The Elephant". But I digress, ...

Calculators were just coming out and were very expensive. Never learned how to use a slide rule. Just pencil and paper.

Try taking a kids calculator away and ask them to do a math problem.

Barry Sloe

I've learned the hard way to refrain from trying to "impress" youngsters with the technology, or lack of, in my heyday. Simply put....they ain't impressed!!!! ;)

A Great Niece, aged 6, eyed my prized Hamilton 992B whizenbanger railroad special pocketwatch so I proudly showed her and held it to her ear. Her eyes opened wide and she took a second look then stepped away remarking not so kindly "So what! I've got toys that make more sounds than that!"

Calculators were just coming out and were very expensive. Never learned how to use a slide rule. Just pencil and paper.

Try taking a kids calculator away and ask them to do a math problem.

Barry Sloe

That's why the fast food places have pictures on the cash register, and the return amount is shown or said by the machine. You can try different variations to pay and in most cases it causes confusion when they try to figure iit out.

I've learned the hard way to refrain from trying to "impress" youngsters with the technology, or lack of, in my heyday. Simply put....they ain't impressed!!!! ;)/>

A Great Niece, aged 6, eyed my prized Hamilton 992B whizenbanger railroad special pocketwatch so I proudly showed her and held it to her ear. Her eyes opened wide and she took a second look then stepped away remarking not so kindly "So what! I've got toys that make more sounds than that!"

A friend of mine showed his 10-year-old son a wind-up wrist watch he had stashed in a drawer. He told his son that the watch didn't have a battery; you just wind the watch once a day and it will run. His son was impressed and said, "A watch that runs without batteries. What will they think of next?!?!"

It's fun to put one of those kids in a tree stand without any electronics and tell them to sit still and be quiet and maybe they will see a deer.

They can't do it of course, and you won't see any deer, but it's entertaining to watch the technology withdrawal symptons.

Ya'll are too nice.

When my eldest niece was about 3, I convinced her that her Paw-Paw wasn't a good driver because he learned to drive on a dinosaur but between the time they all died and he and Uncle Ugg invented the wheel, he forgot how. She was really into dinosaurs at the time because of a life sized animatronic dinosaur display that was at the local mall. I liked to died when she crawled up in his lap with all of her plastic dinosaurs and asked which one he liked riding the best.

(Insert evil grin here.)

She and her little sister was rummaging through my desk drawer and found an old correction tape but couldn't figure out what it was. Even when I explained how to use it, her sister couldn't understand how putting it on the screen would fix any typing errors. :blink: (Yes, the youngest one is a blonde, but according to her, she can see just fine.)

When I started exercising again I dug out my old mechanical stop watch and mechanical lap counter. A lot of the younger folks at the gym had never seen either of these devices that weren't electric. I had never seen any that were electric until I started going there.

When I was a youngin, our TV, was black and white, we had all of 3, that's right THREE stations. You had to walk over to turn it on, then wait for it to warm up. Changing the channel also required getting off your butt, walk over to the TV and manually turn the channel selector. Know wonder there are 8 year olds with weight problems. And we only had 1 TV in the house.

When my son was about 10 years old .

He went to the neighbors house and got a Radio with a Turn Table on the top

and some speakers for 5.00 .

He set it all up in his bed room his self .

He then come and asked mom and me if we had any of them BIG CDs that played on his new stereo?

:huh:/>

When I was a youngin, our TV, was black and white, we had all of 3, that's right THREE stations. You had to walk over to turn it on, then wait for it to warm up. Changing the channel also required getting off your butt, walk over to the TV and manually turn the channel selector. Know wonder there are 8 year olds with weight problems. And we only had 1 TV in the house.

I remember watching a space mission on the black and white, can't remember if it was an apollo mission, but it likely was. It was the part where they were coming back to earth. I also remember my parents getting on a kick that TV was evil and taking the black and white to the curb and throwing rocks into the screen so no one else could watch it and burn in hell for it. I begged them to let me help throw rocks into it but they refused, citing that I might get hurt from broken glass. That phase did not last long though. We got another one sometime later.

I remember asking my dad if he knew George Washington personally. my wife was not amused by the "did they have cars " question. some folks take things personally.

I remember the first "walkman" I ever saw or used....

It was an AM transistor radio about half the size of a pack of ciragettes my Dad attached to the top of an old set of USAF headphones he had. The headset had leather ear pieces and head strap and I clearly remember a blue and yellow checkerboad pattern on the beat up letter of the ear doo dads.

He created the device so he could listen to sports without bugging my Mom. I was listening to it while mowing the lawn when the DJ announced the Beatles had broken up.

As I remember, when Iz was born---(or was that hatched)---- they did have cars. They had stone wheels and ya made them go by runnin in yer seat. Plus it was holy h*ll stoppin cause ya used yer feet fer that too!

Archived