SASS Wire Forum

Texas Star

Lankyframe #44046

Anybody have any problems with store-bought Texas Star targets? Springs or latches not holding up or any other issues.

Which brand do you have?

Lanky

Lanky,

Most interesting thing I have seen about the stars since I got to Texas, is that I haven't seen one.

Doc

MGM Targets is the one we use. Been using it for 3 yrs worth of 2x monthly USPSA and action matches and in about half of our monthly CAS matches for the last 2+ years. Haven't replaced a thing on it and we usually use shotgun on it in our Cowboy matches.

Cope

MGM Targets is the one we use. Been using it for 3 yrs worth of 2x monthly USPSA and action matches and in about half of our monthly CAS matches for the last 2+ years. Haven't replaced a thing on it and we usually use shotgun on it in our Cowboy matches.

Cope

Same here. MGM makes quality stuff for sure. Friendly bunch as well.

We have Terry's best, the REAL Texas Star. "The famous Texas Star target is made by Terry Ashton of San Angelo, Tx. Contact Terry for current pricing and availability by phone at 325-655-2809."

I know of two others near by and all have survived thousands of rounds of major power factor pistol ammo and full house 12 ga. shot without any failure. There are smaller springs available for rim-fire use and if those are left on and used with center-fire ammo you will likely have a problem.

Olen

Olen, I heard Terry had quit making them?? Anyone know if this is true??

I have two of the MGM units and they are built like a tank, but hits with light CAS pistol loads won't always knock the plates off. I use them a lot for IDPA/ ICORE/USPSA/ Wild Bunch and 3gun matches. Not too often for CAS.

Texas Star problems?!?!? LOL!!!

I'm a new shooter...just attended my 4th match this past Saturday.

First time I saw the Texas Star was at our May match. It took me 10 rounds to knock off 2 targets...hence I called it the "Death Star". June match...took me 10 rounds to knock off 3 targets. This past Saturday...took me 9 rounds to knock off the 5 targets....YEAH!!...however I missed the dump target with my one remaining round!! LOL!!!! Oh well...had fun and I felt I "improved" a lil bit.

First time I saw the Texas Star was at our May match. It took me 10 rounds to knock off 2 targets...hence I called it the "Death Star". June match...took me 10 rounds to knock off 3 targets. This past Saturday...took me 9 rounds to knock off the 5 targets....YEAH!!...however I missed the dump target with my one remaining round!! LOL!!!! Oh well...had fun and I felt I "improved" a lil bit.

Told ya this would be a fun sport didn't we? :lol:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' we most all started the same way :blush::)

N.Da Brig, just read your latest report and then I saw this post. How far do you live from Sparta, Illinois? I'm thinking about shooting the US Open there in September.

Ghost

Our club has 2 of Terry's Star. We occasionally have to replace a spring or 2 when they get too sacked out and the targets can't be retained. The Star comes with a spare parts kit. Also, occassionally you will have to replace a 1/4" bolt on the latch that might break. Again, in the spare parts kit.

Fillmore

Lanky,

Most interesting thing I have seen about the stars since I got to Texas, is that I haven't seen one.

Doc

I know a couple of clubs around here have them. But hardly ever use them.

They have held up OK as far as I know. But the time it take to reset between each shooter.

It takes a good while to get a posse of 15 or so through it.

That and it seems the same people get stuck doing it the whole time. That most don't use them

for any main match stage any more.

Olen, I heard Terry had quit making them?? Anyone know if this is true??

I have two of the MGM units and they are built like a tank, but hits with light CAS pistol loads won't always knock the plates off. I use them a lot for IDPA/ ICORE/USPSA/ Wild Bunch and 3gun matches. Not too often for CAS.

He has retired and GT Targets is making his design and paying him a royalty.

http://www.gttargets.com/TexasStarTarget.htm

Olen

I know a couple of clubs around here have them. But hardly ever use them.

They have held up OK as far as I know. But the time it take to reset between each shooter.

It takes a good while to get a posse of 15 or so through it.

That and it seems the same people get stuck doing it the whole time. That most don't use them

for any main match stage any more.

Around here we "train" folks on how to reset them and can have them ready to go before the brass is picked up.

Fillmore

Anybody have any problems with store-bought Texas Star targets? Springs or latches not holding up or any other issues.

Which brand do you have?

Lanky

Love to shoot the Texas Star, have one in my backyard. Home made. No problems with springs.

CCBA

I've heard that you should not use lighter springs if you intend to shoot the Star with shotguns.

There is a major different in impact. So some local clubs had decided to use them for the pistol and rifle only and it reduced problems - and avoided having th make changes in springs.

But that is only hearsay, but it may explain if you are having problems.

Around here we "train" folks on how to reset them and can have them ready to go before the brass is picked up.

Fillmore

I added a "latch" to ours that locks it. That makes it a LOT easier to reset the targets and also to move. Without the latch moving it is like wrestling an octupus.

Regarding the resetting targets making a stage take longer. I made a study of that, watching what transpired while a target such as a Texas Star was reset.

What would happen almost every time was after the target had been reset and those doing so had returned behind the firing line 30 to 45 seconds would transpire while the brass pickers looked for that last piece of brass. So it wasn't the resetting of the targets that made the stage take longer but rather the brass picking. We now have a policy when there are targets to reset that when the resetters (is that a word?) had returned the search for brass ended.

If you have 15 shooters on a posse and take 45 extra seconds to look for brass that is 675 seconds (11.2 minutes) per stage and for five stages 56 minutes.

So taking an extra 45 seconds for each shooter to look for brass you add an hour to a match. Even at 30 seconds per shooter you add almost 40 minutes to a match.

Our club is also in the market for one, the two styles I have seen are the dovetail style which I believe is the MGM, and the two pins style by I don't know who. I like the two pins style quite a lot better, they seem to come off easier and are easier (for me at least) to reset. I have also seen when one corner of the dovetail is not in place the plate won't come off.

Anybody know a maker of the 2 pin style?

Doc

The first match I attended, there was a Texas star, and a little gal, goes by the handle "Slick's Sharp Shooter" was behind me on the loading table. Well, I'd already watched this little lady shoot severral stages, and there was no doubting she knew what she was doing. So as she verified my revolvers were loaded correctly, in a real low voice, she told me how to shoot the star. It was our rifle target on that stage. Well, I listenned, and did exactly what she said.... That was the first stage I cleaned, and it was in my first match. Thanks "SSS," I really appreciated that little pep talk!

If you ever get up around Atlanta, or the South River Shootists....watch this little gal, she is something to watch shoot!

Sorry, I know I got off topic, but whenever I see or here of a Texas Star, I think of her, and the help she gave me to clean my first stage, in my first match.

Our club is also in the market for one, the two styles I have seen are the dovetail style which I believe is the MGM, and the two pins style by I don't know who. I like the two pins style quite a lot better, they seem to come off easier and are easier (for me at least) to reset. I have also seen when one corner of the dovetail is not in place the plate won't come off.

Anybody know a maker of the 2 pin style?

Doc

Hi Doc,

Yes I make the two pin style as you call it.

It's the original star made by Terry Ashton.

Terry kindly gave me the rights to manufacture this star in Australia, about 10 years after our club imported one at huge expense, and have made dozens of them.

All work perfectly and never had problem with springs, but depending on how much you shoot it, you will have to replace a spring or two every now and again.

In our experience use of shot gun continuously is probably not the best for the target, as you have plenty of splatter flying around the latch mechanism. Best to shoot it with rifle or pistol.

I have just completed detailed & accurate plans on how to make this target, am and in the process of making a DVD to go with it, showing how it's done and to eliminate the pitfalls that arose with me.

I hope to have it ready in the next few months.

The package will include a DVD, detailed plans of each part of the star, how to set it up properly and a few fun game scenarios that we play.

This will sell for appox $49.95 plus P&H to the US approx. $8-10. (yet to chack that out)

So if'n any of ya want a star plan, lemme know.

You will be able to pay by Paypal.

Cheers

Jack

Archived