SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a new solvent

Ben Bitten

My dad used Hoppe's. I use Hoppe's. I love the smell. But most of all I love how well it works. ...my wife, however, is less than a fan of the smell - especially since I clean my guns in the house. If I had a garage it would be perfect, but alas. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for a good crud-busting solvent that has little to no oder... I know, that's a talk request, and I hate to turn my back on Hoppe's, but I'm willing to do it for love. ...and an equal substitue with low oder.

Many thanks, pards.

My dad used Hoppe's. I use Hoppe's. I love the smell. But most of all I love how well it works. ...my wife, however, is less than a fan of the smell - especially since I clean my guns in the house. If I had a garage it would be perfect, but alas. Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for a good crud-busting solvent that has little to no oder... I know, that's a talk request, and I hate to turn my back on Hoppe's, but I'm willing to do it for love. ...and an equal substitue with low oder.

Many thanks, pards.

Well, I also am not a fan of Hop's #9 , but my husband is not a fan of many of my scented candles (or the cat)...sooooo, I found if I put peppermint oil under my nose, it takes away the harshness of the solvent. Kinda makes it smell good. (It doesn't hurt that I am sitting beside him cleaning my guns!)

If your wife isn't a shooter, do her a favor...send her off to get a pedicure or lunch and clean your guns while she is out!!!

Good luck!!

And here I thought it was just in my house? I'm thinkin' it's a gender thing (Mars/Venus). :unsure:

I use Hoppe's 9 on the smokeless guns for cleaning, Break Free for light oil. On my BP or sub guns, I use Windex (w/vinegar) & Ballistol, and pure Ballistol for oil.

Wife and daughter both hate Hoppe's, Break Free and Ballistol! They proceed to spray the entire house with one of the Lysol variants and it actually makes me gag. :huh:

Hafta time my cleanin' efforts real carefully..... B)

Harvey

I have got rid of 3 wives but never Hoppes which reminds me of all the good times of my life, the memories of those not amongst them. Kinda like I remember the smell of paper hulls on a cool fall morning chasing bobs with my Dad. Any human that doesn't enjoy the nostalgic aroma of Hoppes is a sad case. I sure have saved a lot of money on Febreze, Glade, Pledge, Downey, Bounce, etc etc w/o those gals. Way mo moolah for guns and ammo and Hoppes.

I would suggest Sweetshooter. Not only cleans but seasons the bore and all metal surfaces so that carbon, crud, lead, and copper don't stick.

I used M-Pro7 Gun Oil and Hoppe's for years, then I mistakenly bought the M-Pro7 Cleaner Lube and have used it ever since for general cleaning. Odor has never bothered me, but it sure makes my wife happy. :D

Regards,

CBG

Much obliged! I'll give M Pro-7 a try and see how that goes. ...of course being partial to Hoppe's I may give Elite a go as well.

Don't laugh.....Virgin Olive Oil.

I've also found Kroil to have a nice smell.

And Marvels Mystery Oil has quickly become my

favorite lube.

..........Widder

:lol: How can I not laugh with that one. HAHAA. Do you push pimentos down the bore too. :lol: Sorry........

Archived