SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA knowledge needed

Throckmorton,23149

can someone with SAA knowledge read HIS post and tell me what he has? I"m preetty sure it's not a 1st gen., not even sure it's a real Colt.

here is HIS post.....

I traded into a "first Gen Colt SAA" but both my brother and I have some doubts as to whether or not it is an authentic Colt.

Here is what I know...

The S/N is 372XX

This number can be found on the frame, grip and trigger guard.

All the barrel says is Colt .44-40

The frame under the grip has a "67" stamp as does the back strap and the cylinder.

The barrel is 4 3/4" long.

I have not been able to find any other markings on it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Adam

I'll post pictures soon.

Thanks Pards

This blurb came from one of my gun books, FWIW:

Gun Collecting: All original, good condition first generation Single Action Armys, (those produced between 1873 and 1941), are among the most valuable to the collector. These guns are distinguished by the serial numbers below 375000 and with no letters.

the info I found says that that number needs a SA suffix to be a valid number.

I'll keep Googleing and digging.

I asked him to check for prefix or suffix,waiting for answer on that

By the serial number given it looks to be a 1st gen.

"All original, good condition first generation Single Action Armys, (those produced between 1873 and 1941), are among the most valuable to the collector. These guns are distinguished by the serial numbers below 375000 and with no letters."

"Life Lesson #118: Get the Colt SAA's serial number and call 1-800-962-COLT before making the purchase."

If you decide that it is not you wanted I will be willing to give the original amount paid for the Colt. Should be somewhere around $19 to $25 back in the day. ;)

can someone with SAA knowledge read HIS post and tell me what he has? I"m preetty sure it's not a 1st gen., not even sure it's a real Colt.

here is HIS post.....

I traded into a "first Gen Colt SAA" but both my brother and I have some doubts as to whether or not it is an authentic Colt.

Here is what I know...

The S/N is 372XX
Serial number indicates 1877 production year

The last 4 digits of the serial number should also appear near the bolt notches on the side of the cylinder

Colt didn't introduce the 44WCF until serial number 41000 in 1878 and the barrel was marked "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" in an etched panel on the left side of the barrel, not .44-40 (replacement barrel?)

The frame under the grip has a "67" stamp as does the back strap and the cylinder.

What about the address line on top of the barrel, one or two lines? Beveled cylinder face? 2 Patent dates on the left side of the frame? .44CF stamp on the left side of the trigger guard? Bullseye ejector?

Thanks,

-Adam

I'll post pictures soon.

Thanks Pards

here is HIS post.....

Here is what I know...

The S/N is 372XX
Serial number indicates 1877 production year

The last 4 digits of the serial number should also appear on side of the cylinder

Colt didn't introduce the 44WCF until serial number 41000 in 1878 and the barrel was marked "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" in an etched panel on the left side of the barrel, not .44-40 (replacement barrel?)

Photos are always helpful
. What about the address line on top of the barrel, one or two lines? 2 Patent dates on the left side of the frame? .44CF stamp on the left side of the trigger guard? Bullseye ejector?

Thanks,

-Adam

I'll post pictures soon.

Thanks Pards

Howdy

Let's try this again.

First Generation Serial Numbers ran from 1 to 357,859. First Gens were produced from 1873 until 1940.

No Suffix or Prefix.

Second Generation Serial Numbers all had a 'SA' suffix. Produced from 1956 until 1975, the Serial Numbers ran from 0001SA to 73,319SA.

Third Generation Serial Numbers started with 80,000SA in 1976 (yes, there is a gap between 2nd and 3rd Gen numbers). Third Gen Serial Numbers continued up through 99,999SA in 1978. Then changed from a suffix to a prefix, starting all over at SA01001 in 1978 and running up to SA99,999 in 1993. Then they started over again, this time putting the S in front of the number and tagging the A at the rear. Started with S02001A in 1993. The latest numbers I have are only up to 1999 when they had reached S26,699A. I'm sure they have continued for the last ten years or so.

Confusing, ain't it?

Yes, 44-40 was the only caliber that had its own special designation. Any 44-40 that left the factory chambered for 44-40 should say Frontier Six Shooter on the barrel.

Yes, 372XX would have left the factory in 1877. The Serial Numbers produced in 1877 ran from 33,001 to 41,000.

Yes, the SAA was first chambered for 44-40 in 1878, so something is rotten in Denmark.

Not at all unusual for an old SAA to have a new cylinder and barrel fitted someplace along the way, but it most likely did not leave the factory that way.

Forget Google. Probably more misinformation on the Internet about the SAA than anything else. Some of us actually have real books, with real paper and ink in them that we use to look this stuff up.

How is the BASE PIN held in? All early Colt SAA had a screw until about 1896, then changed to the spring loaded cross bolt system they used on the Big Colt 1878 Double action. It's probably a put together gun to fool someone.

Big Jake

If it doesn't have Colt address and markings the serial number is moot.

Except it could have been polished off. I have a 1st Gen from 1901 that has been refinished in the past and now that is worn off. You can barely read the caliber and nothing on top of the barrel.

Except it could have been polished off. I have a 1st Gen from 1901 that has been refinished in the past and now that is worn off. You can barely read the caliber and nothing on top of the barrel.

Coulda been and thats a fact but that puts it in the "Money Pit" category. Thats OK for a shooter...just depends how much was paid for it. Sure would help to have a more definitive description and close up pics.

Nevermind

Nevermind

Nevermind

:lol: Throckmorten, while everyone has given ya' some good advice, the best thing to do is have yer friend send it to me and I'll do an 'in depth' analysis of that thar sixshooter. Shouldn't take mor' an' ten or twenty years an' then I'll get it right back to him. :D

Seriously, with a serial number that low it should have the cylinder pin screw entering frome the front of the frame. there should be patent dates on the left side of the frame, but NO rampant Colt emblem. If there is no address on the top of the barrel, check the front sight; it should taper towards the top and should be appear more rounded on the back end. if its the same width all the way up you may have a Christy replacement barrel on it. The cylinder should have pronounced bevels at the front not be squared off. The serial #s should be on the front of the frame, the front edge of the triggerguard and just behind the screw on the bottem of the backstrap. It may still be a Colt, but with replacement parts,a good examination by someone familiar with the early guns would be your best bet. Good luck, I hope he got a good deal on it.

Archived