SASS Wire Forum

Rat Dogs new life...

Deja Vous

When I lived in Riverside Rat dog had to wait for me to come home to let her out and keep her company. At night as I typed away to all of you, she would go out on the patio (left my door open for her), went to bed, or lay on my lap while I sat in the chair. All day she was alone, so I would leave on a radio, or sound machine for her. And we would visit the doggie park, or go for walks after dark on city streets. We would go for a ride at times to buy her a burger, or go up to visit my dad. Rat has changed a great deal.

I get up and let her out in her nice yard. She ignores me when I call her, so with frost on the ground I am out chasing a crazy Rat dog around at 5 AM.. Finally in the house she gets her breakfast and picks at it. Gets to sit in the bathroom while I get my hair combed and lipstick on.. If I leave her in the house she runs and jumps into bed with my dad .. lol.. Then we go back to my bedroom and I get dressed with her picking at her breakfast, and making faces at my choices. I brave the cold and leave the house. I have to shut the front gate because dear little Rat dog likes to escape out the garage door and run out of the yard to the dispair of my dad.. lol

So, when I get home I get to feed her again and let her out and hear about all she has done. Now Rat Dog can do NO wrong at all per my dad. He things Rat is not a good name for her, so Maggie is the name he picks cuz he thinks she is part Irish or Scotish... (lol)... she is fed all day off of his plate and his wifes plate. She sits on him most of the day, or goes out in the sun with him in the back and plays in the yard. She does keep him laughing..

So, maggie is now my dads dog, just ask her... He puts ice cream in a bowl and gives it to her.. geesh... next I will come home and she will have a place at the table. Rat dogs life had changed a great deal. But she has been a huge help in cheering my father up. There is nothing she will not do or try .. lol... And she wiggles all the time until she passes out. She has the energy of the Energizer bunny... The wisdom of an old soul, and the heart of a child.... Perfect match for my dad... lol I am working on changing his name now... lol... and maybe pretend he is Scotish or Irish so Rat dog and her nuttyness can be blamed on him... lol

I do miss all of you so much.. And I will visit as much as I can. At times I can only read the posts from work, but they make me laugh... and at times I talk outloud and laugh about them.. course they expect that from me.. lol.. Thanks again for allowing me to move in and out of your lives at this time. My father is my heart, he has always been there for me and I want to be there for him all I can be.. I love him I guess is all I can say... At 92 he only has a short 100 more years to go.. lol Hugs Deja

When I lived in Riverside Rat dog had to wait for me to come home to let her out and keep her company. At night as I typed away to all of you, she would go out on the patio (left my door open for her), went to bed, or lay on my lap while I sat in the chair. All day she was alone, so I would leave on a radio, or sound machine for her. And we would visit the doggie park, or go for walks after dark on city streets. We would go for a ride at times to buy her a burger, or go up to visit my dad. Rat has changed a great deal.

I get up and let her out in her nice yard. She ignores me when I call her, so with frost on the ground I am out chasing a crazy Rat dog around at 5 AM.. Finally in the house she gets her breakfast and picks at it. Gets to sit in the bathroom while I get my hair combed and lipstick on.. If I leave her in the house she runs and jumps into bed with my dad .. lol.. Then we go back to my bedroom and I get dressed with her picking at her breakfast, and making faces at my choices. I brave the cold and leave the house. I have to shut the front gate because dear little Rat dog likes to escape out the garage door and run out of the yard to the dispair of my dad.. lol

So, when I get home I get to feed her again and let her out and hear about all she has done. Now Rat Dog can do NO wrong at all per my dad. He things Rat is not a good name for her, so Maggie is the name he picks cuz he thinks she is part Irish or Scotish... (lol)... she is fed all day off of his plate and his wifes plate. She sits on him most of the day, or goes out in the sun with him in the back and plays in the yard. She does keep him laughing..

So, maggie is now my dads dog, just ask her... He puts ice cream in a bowl and gives it to her.. geesh... next I will come home and she will have a place at the table. Rat dogs life had changed a great deal. But she has been a huge help in cheering my father up. There is nothing she will not do or try .. lol... And she wiggles all the time until she passes out. She has the energy of the Energizer bunny... The wisdom of an old soul, and the heart of a child.... Perfect match for my dad... lol I am working on changing his name now... lol... and maybe pretend he is Scotish or Irish so Rat dog and her nuttyness can be blamed on him... lol

Captain jack said, "WHAT IS YOUR POINT, DEJA?" "ALL US CANINE FOLKS SHOULD GET THAT KIND OF TREATMENT" "I DO!" :)

I do miss all of you so much.. And I will visit as much as I can. At times I can only read the posts from work, but they make me laugh... and at times I talk outloud and laugh about them.. course they expect that from me.. lol.. Thanks again for allowing me to move in and out of your lives at this time. My father is my heart, he has always been there for me and I want to be there for him all I can be.. I love him I guess is all I can say... At 92 he only has a short 100 more years to go.. lol Hugs Deja

Take care of your Dad and enjoy everyday. We ain't going no where and will be here if and when you need us. :)

Be VERY carefull about feeding "people" food to your dog. Most of it is NOT good at all for them.

Talk to any DVM about dogs and "people" food and listen to what you are told. It is quite eye-opening for sure.

Respectfully,

L(dog luv'r)G

Be VERY carefull about feeding "people" food to your dog. Most of it is NOT good at all for them.

Talk to any DVM about dogs and "people" food and listen to what you are told. It is quite eye-opening for sure.

Respectfully,

L(dog luv'r)G

Agreed. As much as we would like to {and they would love it} we never feed the dogs people food. For example, grapes can cause liver failure. Here's a partial list from the ASPCA. People Food to avoid giving your pet.

Dogs are very good at figuring out who is the pack leader in the family. :lol:

Deja:

As important as it may be for you to be with your dad now, the most important thing you may have done for him is to bring the Rat dog into his home. Pets can give older folks selfless love, entertainment and purpose; their company is undemanding and generous; even just their warmth, while cuddled up with you on the sofa, can be reassuring. I was visiting a rehab patient recently, and they had "staff dogs" in the wing, going room to room to visit largely elderly patients. D-O-G is G-O-D spelled backward. :rolleyes:

Deja . . . it is just great to hear an update to the ongoing saga of Deja & Rat dog in California. I'm sure a big part of your dad's impovement is having "Rats" there, . . . a really fun stimulation is a great help for healthiness. :)

:lol:Deja, wish you all the good luck in the world with your Dad. Wish mine was still here! Sounds like he's enjying the he#% outta Rat dog...er...Maggie?

Rye

Yep, the people food isnt't a good idea, especially ice cream. But, there is hope. Next time in the supermarket look for something called Frosty Paws. It's ice cream specially made for dogs. Really good in the Summer to avoid overheating but my GSP Gus won't go a night without it. Comes four dixie cups to a box and my pup loves it.

Gave our dog Sarge some of that once. Bacon flavored ice cream for dogs. He inhaled it! Do dogs get brain freeze?

Do dogs have brains???:P

Do dogs have brains???:P

Heck yes!

Gus, the wonder GSP, knows the names of all of his toys. I am convinced that he can spell too. He's got a bit of a belly problem that makes us give him a slice of toast before bedtime. He learned the word "toast" real quick and would start whining and begging the minute either of us used the word. So, we took to saying things like. "Did you make his T-O-A-S-T or should I?" Lately, we've had to start saying, "did you burn his carb?" cause he starts begging based on the spelling.

Archived