SASS Wire Forum

reloading stuff

evil dogooder

Starting to get all the goodies together for reloading. The question is what do I all need?

I have a manual dies one press some brass and a powder drop thingy. So besides bullets powder primer s what else do I need? Caliper? Scale?

What else???

I've had an offer by a pard hear to show me tge ropes I just want to have everything so I can jump right in

Thank you

Respectfully

Evil Dogooder

Howdy:

You may need the following: Trimmer for your brass (Lee's are inexpensive), and a Priming tool (Lee's newest on is good, much like the RCBS which is best (at a corresponding price). Because mistakes happen, you may need an impact puller (works well with lead bullets. Do you have boxes or containers for your finished product> And make sure you record for each box of ammo you load, the date, weight of powder, type of powder, primer, and the batch numbers. Without being to anal, there have been times when certain batches of powder have been recalled - this could be at the very least a saviour for you firearm, not to mention your hands/eyes. Keep this info in the box of loaded ammo so if you have a bad batch, you can easily identify the boxes that are impacted.

I am sure ther rest of the experts on the wire can chime in with a dozen things I have overlooked.

STL Suomi

An inexpensive caliber is helpful to verify your bullet length.

A scale is needed to verify what powder load you are really using as powder dispensers are not always the same and powder density can very some as well.

So:

• At least one loading manual
  • A loading press with dies
  • Powder measure/dispense of some sort
  • Brass
  • Primers of appropriate size and type
  • Powder - If smokeless, normally a relatively fast powder for Cowboy loads
  • Scales
  • Caliper
  • Bullet Puller

An option but useful item is a brass cleaner - most of us use vibrator types but rotary work well too.

Before you ever start with add-ons that are handy but not absolutely necessary ,get a good set of scales. That is a MUST-HAVE.

Once you start producing reloads , experience will hint on what other toys to consider. And you can never have too many loading manuals.

Enjoy , Rex :D

Howdy:

You may need the following: Trimmer for your brass (Lee's are inexpensive), and a Priming tool (Lee's newest on is good, much like the RCBS which is best (at a corresponding price). Because mistakes happen, you may need an impact puller (works well with lead bullets. Do you have boxes or containers for your finished product> And make sure you record for each box of ammo you load, the date, weight of powder, type of powder, primer, and the batch numbers. Without being to anal, there have been times when certain batches of powder have been recalled - this could be at the very least a saviour for you firearm, not to mention your hands/eyes. Keep this info in the box of loaded ammo so if you have a bad batch, you can easily identify the boxes that are impacted.

I am sure ther rest of the experts on the wire can chime in with a dozen things I have overlooked.

STL Suomi

You do not need a brass trimmer or an impact puller for SASS loads. I have loaded 8-10,000 rounds per year for a decade and have never used either.

I second "Lefty Dude".

Get a good reloading manual, read, re-read and then read it again. Then invest in the equipment. Follow all the safety rules and reloading procedures religiously.

You do not need a brass trimmer or an impact puller for SASS loads. I have loaded 8-10,000 rounds per year for a decade and have never used either.

Agreed. I load .38, .40, and 9mm and have never trimmed a case. I have a bullet puller and have used it twice in 10 years.

You definitely need a scale and some calipers. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they have some nice stainless steel digital calipers that are on sale for $10 every once in awhile; normal price is about $30, I think. I've used them for years, and they have been great.

If you are single stage reloading, you will need some sort of loading block to hold in-process shells. I've always used a turret or progressive press, so I've never needed one.

Agreed. I load .38, .40, and 9mm and have never trimmed a case. I have a bullet puller and have used it twice in 10 years.

You definitely need a scale and some calipers. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they have some nice stainless steel digital calipers that are on sale for $10 every once in awhile; normal price is about $30, I think. I've used them for years, and they have been great.

If you are single stage reloading, you will need some sort of loading block to hold in-process shells. I've always used a turret or progressive press, so I've never needed one.

I load on a rock chucker and don't use a loading block. I made several when I started loading, but they seemed like an invitation to double charge or miss a charge. After each die, the cases go into a coffee can of like cases. Then one at a time, I powder charge a case, visually inspect the powder in the case, then seat and crimp a bullet on it. Less chance for error that way.

For the OP a scale is all you are lacking from what I can see.

Grizz

when i started loading, i used the bullet puller more times than i'd fess up to but unless youre shooting 38-40 or 44-40, (and even then) a trimmer is probably a waste.

get a large tumbler for cleaning the cases.

CC

Ok I'm at the local goodies store. As for a scale.... well they have six different styles here. Is digital better or the old style with weights

Ok I'm at the local goodies store. As for a scale.... well they have six different styles here. Is digital better or the old style with weights

Better depends on the user and the calibration. Digital is faster and easier on the eyes IMHO.

Yes, yes, for the most part that is true. However, I have had some brass "grow." Let us assume that reloading of CAS is his beginning and he shall move on to greater things like bench rest etc.

You see, not all is CAS, there is SO MUCH MORE in the world of reloading.

STL Suomi

If I were going to load precision rifle rounds, I'd get one of those digital powder dispenser/scale combos. For high volume pistol reloading, just get a decent beam scale. Once I get my powder measures set-up and am confident in the throws, I hardly ever measure a charge. An old fashioned slow beam scale works just fine for this.

Get a beam scale used for about $15-20. The electronic ones are more money and you don't need it for main match cowboy shoots. Get a decent brass tumbler and get some lizard litter for media. I would suggest the Hornady and Lee reloading manuals, but beware the Lee goes over the top in self-congratulatory prose. Some use a case gauge to see if the rounds will chamber....you can do that with a cylinder. Save your money on a trimmer and for now on the bullet pullers. I use empty 3 gallon water jugs with the tops opened up for holding clean and dirty brass. Buy your components in quantity to save money, but only after you have decided on your loads. Think long and hard about filing your sights............might be better to find a different impacting load. Try to make one load work for pistol and rifle, less work that way. Settle on your pistol load first (fixed sights), then adjust rifle sights to your satisfaction.

Archived