SASS Wire Forum

I need a new Coach Gun with Hammers

Who makes the best Coach gun with Hammers that is not going to break the bank? Then who does a really good action job? I am looking to get one but I need some information so I do not go broke on a bad one.

Well, when I started this game I got a TTN imported by Cimmaron I think, new out of the box it was very usable, shot a couple of shells of birdshot and it loosened up nicly, other than polish the chambers myself nothing else done to it. Many cut off the hammer spurs also. From what I understand you can't hardly find them anymore, too bad.

Good luck in your quest.

Who makes the best Coach gun with Hammers that is not going to break the bank? Then who does a really good action job? I am looking to get one but I need some information so I do not go broke on a bad one.

You live within shoutin' distance of CODY and TAYLORS and you ask a question like this? :blink:

The short answer is no one makes a hammered shotgun that fits your criteria as best and cheap don't usually go together. At this point in time it's not so much a question of who makes the best hammered double, but who makes them at all. Your best bet would probably be to try and find one of the 1878 Colt clones (TTN, Cimmarron, Taylor, EMF at one time all carried them.)

Looks like the one that Taylors carries is the CZ, high dollar and still needs work out of the box, Pioneer has a coach gun, high dollar also but you can't get them either just like the TTN

Good luck on your search for a cheap with action job hammered double

All for now JD Trampas

I have looked at Taylor’s hammer gun and I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price tag. What has happened to the price of the hammer shotguns? I did do not want to take out a mortgage on my home or sell my blood to get one. I still would like to find one that is a good working gun at a good price. Thanks for the input.

Try Dixie for the Pedersoli "Wyatt Earp" hammer gun. Call your broker and have a double shot of tequila first. Primo shotgun though. However .......

A. Not "cheap"

B. Not even inexpensive.

C. Very Very well made.

Coffinmaker

Kid ya just missed out. There had to be a few sold here on the wire in the past month. Having said that look at the 1878 TTN style. Cimarron imports them now, but right now rarer then hens teeth. If ya lucky to get one already worked on good for you. If not send it to Nate Kiowa Jones. Used are going for $350-$450. Have a Happy New Year!!

Tom

The Chinese quit making the Cimarron/TTN. There is supposedly one more shipment on a slow boat coming but who knows?

That leaves only two options for a reasonably priced hammer gun. The Baikal and the IAC. The IAC has come a long way in recent years especially in wood quality. This gun is called by many names. Big 5 had the Century Arms Intl import for $249 last time I was in there. Heckuva deal.

I would recommend the Baikal if you can't wait. If you haunt the gun auctions and the SASS classifieds, sooner or later you will catch a TTN for sale.

Or maybe that slow boat will finally come in...

Ya' just missed a TTN from Cash Caldwell & Jug Browning at Mid-Maryland Gun Repair. Bought it as a back-up to my Tula TOZ-66.

Listed yes.

Available?...

Available, No. Those are the ones that are supposed to be on the slow boat from China. They have been waiting for over a year to see when/if they are coming.

Kid, you are welcome to try my TTN on New Year's Day.

I have 3 of them. :)

Doc Argyle just posted one for sale in the SASS Wire Classifieds that has been tuned by Cody. $650.

I have a AMERICAN MADE Stevens hammer 12ga 20' 2 3/4 with good wood and shells fall right out.

Sweet shotgun good and tight I will sell it for 550.00 shipped To FFL and C&R B)

Pm me if you would like .

Available, No. Those are the ones that are supposed to be on the slow boat from China. They have been waiting for over a year to see when/if they are coming.

With a quick google search I see new in box Cimarron 1878's available.

If you had went farther than a search, you would have found their are none to be had, out of stock, auctions had closed, sold, etc etc, I just went and none to be had, which I knew for the last 6 months, yes they do come up once in awhile on here and some auctions, but not very many.

All for now JD Trampas

That would be the Baikal, not the TTN, just found out that they made a hammered on this post, learn something everyday, couldn't tell by the picture of it if the hammers are close set like the TTN, it really didn't look like they was, that is why the TTN is so popular because of the hammers being close together

All for now JD Trampas

go to galleryofguns.com and search for mp220f. It says 4 are available. This is a search engine through davidson's. In Phoenix one dealer has it for $435 OTD.

Sorry this is a reply to post #13

richiespng.com is carrying them for $236.86. I just ordered one. With insurance and shipping it came to $266.36. Worth it!

Yup they shore do. The MP 220F. USSG is the importer now, Remington having bailed. Go to USSG.com and you can see all the Rooskies.

richiespng.com is carrying them for $236.86. I just ordered one. With insurance and shipping it came to $266.36. Worth it!

See my response to your other post. $236.86 is not for an MP220F with real hammers and external firing pins. If by some chance one arrives, you got the steal of the century! But heck, a good cowpoke deserves a break now and again! :lol:

MJJ

See my response to your other post. $236.86 is not for an MP220F with real hammers and external firing pins. If by some chance one arrives, you got the steal of the century! But heck, a good cowpoke deserves a break now and again! :lol:

MJJ

I might beg to differ with you on that one, Marshall. The item I ordered is an MP220f. The only other shotgun in the MP200 line is a hammerless, 28" barrel with screw-in chokes. Their (Eaa's) description of the gun I ordered was that it has functioning hammers (not just cocking devices) with external firing pins. Time will tell. No matter what, I'll have a solid shotgun that functions and got it for $90.00 less (WITH shipping) than I would've paid for a Stoeger from my local dealer - even without paying shipping on the Stoeger. And it looks far more "old time," anyway.

MJJ

Marshall, pardon me whilst I chew up and swallow that last bite of crow...

Once I got home to do some reconnoitering (can't check out gun sites at work), I found that the picture that was shown on the auction on GunBroker was NOT the shotgun that I thought I was ordering (see link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267148880) - nor was the description, which even mentioned "safe external hammers." You were right - the MP220 is what I purchased, not the MP220F. I'm somewhat miffed (and embarrassed) by the misrepresentation, but will still be glad to have the gun, which was still around a C-note cheaper than a Stoeger and, from what I've read, more durable.

-Sorry 'bout that, Marshall!!

It always amazes me that people will gladly spend over $1000 for their handguns and over $1000 for their 73 and then complain because they can't find a good $250 shotgun. Matches are won or lost with the shotgun. That's not really the place to cut corners.

Marshall, pardon me whilst I chew up and swallow that last bite of crow...

-Sorry 'bout that, Marshall!!

No problem pard, I was wishin that you got a great deal on the MP220F. They do run about $100 more than the MP220, without hammers, although maybe you might be getting the internal firing pin model. In any case, the shotgun itself is strong, but not without some rough spots.

In response to some of the other posts, if someone made a hammered double that was smooth out of the box without investing an arm and a leg, I would be handling them. I have a Cimarron hammered double (Polytech/TTN) and it is very nice and was about $350 when I got it. It has lighter springs from the factory, nice walnut stock, and is a great buy. But they are not available (yes on the slowboat from China). The Pedersoli Wyatt Earp is very pricy, have not seen one, and they are hard to get. Pioneers are impossible to get. CZ's are high and still need work. So if someone would make an out of the box hammered coach gun for $1000, AND make them available, I'd look closely.

But we have to work with what is available. The Baikal has its faults - wide apart hammers, tight action, hourglass extractor, but at about $370 plus another $150 plus shipping back and forth to a smith, you have a solid shotgun that will do well. Its not that pards are not willing to spend the $1000 for a hammered double, the "pickins are slim"

MJJ

For a lot of input regarding the Baikal with real hammers - general info, where to get one, who the best gunsmiths are, etc. - check out these posts:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=170436&st=0&p=2197783&fromsearch=1entry2197783

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163541&st=0&p=2104093&fromsearch=1entry2104093

No problem pard, I was wishin that you got a great deal on the MP220F. They do run about $100 more than the MP220, without hammers, although maybe you might be getting the internal firing pin model. In any case, the shotgun itself is strong, but not without some rough spots.

In response to some of the other posts, if someone made a hammered double that was smooth out of the box without investing an arm and a leg, I would be handling them. I have a Cimarron hammered double (Polytech/TTN) and it is very nice and was about $350 when I got it. It has lighter springs from the factory, nice walnut stock, and is a great buy. But they are not available (yes on the slowboat from China). The Pedersoli Wyatt Earp is very pricy, have not seen one, and they are hard to get. Pioneers are impossible to get. CZ's are high and still need work. So if someone would make an out of the box hammered coach gun for $1000, AND make them available, I'd look closely.

But we have to work with what is available. The Baikal has its faults - wide apart hammers, tight action, hourglass extractor, but at about $370 plus another $150 plus shipping back and forth to a smith, you have a solid shotgun that will do well. Its not that pards are not willing to spend the $1000 for a hammered double, the "pickins are slim"

MJJ

Yep, pickins are slim. However, when you look at the posts through the years, the discussion isn't "where can I get a good $1000.00 shotgun," the discussion is "where can I get a good $300.00 shotgun." While some will buy an SKB or Browning, most cowboys are looking for a cheap double shotgun. Unfortunately, the market for doubles is small, the subset of doubles for CAS even smaller, and the market for CAS hammered doubles even smaller. So, like you said, we have to work with whatever comes our way.

Archived