SASS Wire Forum

So you think you're going to a BIG MATCH!

Brother King, SASS #69031

What with the National Championships just around the corner, maybe it's a good ideer to take a look at what a cowpoke might be well advised to think about before making the journey.

Especially a first trip or a category change it might make some sense to do an inventory checklist of BIG MATCH rules that your local club might have forgiven everyone for violations, but you may not be so lucky at State or above matches.

Here's one: come to the line carrying a reload in your hat band or stuffed in a shotgun loop: SDQ. Yes, not just the USE of the round is illegal, but the presence of it.

Maybe another: The grip of the revolver must be ABOVE the belt in which two categories?

Got one that's bit you or someone you know?

What with the National Championships just around the corner, maybe it's a good ideer to take a look at what a cowpoke might be well advised to think about before making the journey.

Especially a first trip or a category change it might make some sense to do an inventory checklist of BIG MATCH rules that your local club might have forgiven everyone for violations, but you may not be so lucky at State or above matches.

Here's one: come to the line carrying a reload in your hat band or stuffed in a shotgun loop: SDQ. Yes, not just the USE of the round is illegal, but the presence of it.

Maybe another: The grip of the revolver must be ABOVE the belt in which two categories?

Got one that's bit you or someone you know?

BIG MATCH

that is next Nov.

Going to be a PINK affair

By the way I saw somone that well not have a round in his hat anymore.

I am changing categotys (I can Cherry pick one more now)

LIFE IS SHORT MAKE THE MOST OF IT SHOOT EVERY DAY

Well I know that one of the categories where the grip must be above the belt is Classic Cowboy because I found myself shooting duelist at Hell on Wheels one year because my fancy holsters were too darn long. I still have them, but I haven't used them since.

But now you have to watch out Brother King, because I am starting to practice with the cross-draw. I could become dangerous if I could just figure out this left hand re-holster thing.

I will be at Winter Range and probably at EOT, although EOT is not yet certain. I need to return to defend my title, but we are doing a lot of traveling this spring and it may not be in the cards.

As far as major match issues, I would recommend cleaning your guns well, then shooting a monthly match with them before you go to a major match to be sure that you put them back together right. If you reload, I would buy new brass for use with your match rounds, I would make sure you have a powder checker that will assure that you get powder in every round (a squib at Winter Range cost me 6 misses one year), then case gauge every round. To do one better, put a round in your pistol to assure it goes in and out easily and then spin the cylinder to make sure it is not too long. If you don't reload but buy factory ammo, I would recommend that you get cowboy loads (they don't kick as much--usually) and then case gauge or run them through the pistol to make sure they seat and are not too long. (Even factory ammo can have some issues.)

If you have it, take a back up for each of your guns in case some unpredictable malady strikes one of your guns (as happened with my hammered double shotgun at Winter Range last year-BANG! click). That way you can stay in the fight.

If you have access to a range to practice on, get out there and do it. To work on accuracy, shoot smaller targets at distance. Winter Range and EOT have distances on their targets that are too close to spray and pray. But occasionally get some up close targets to work on speed.

If you shoot a cross-draw, make sure that you are never breaking the 170 when you holster or re-holster either on the loading or unloading table or on the line. People are watching; it is a good idea to be paranoid about that. And for everyone, pay attention to your muzzle direction of the long guns when you go to the line and especially when you finish--sometimes we turn around to talk about what just happened (good or bad) and that muzzle can end up looking the wrong way. Not a big deal at a local match maybe, but a major match can be different.

Think about and practice your transitions--practice shooting your rifle and shotgun from port arms, practice holstering your pistols and picking up a long gun, practice putting down the long gun and drawing your pistols. Especially work on holstering and running, or holstering on the run, as there are a couple of track-meet type stages at Winter Range. And if your club does not use vertical staging, practice taking down your rifle or long gun and putting it back up on vertical staging blocks. Winter Range has several stages where you move downrange after shooting long guns, so many times you will be putting a rifle back up in a vertical block as you go to your next gun.

Shoot the warm-up match at any major match to get into the mood, check your guns and equipment, and meet some new people.

Bring a coat and gloves to Winter Range and some handwarmers.(those early mornings are a little chilly). Bring some protection from the rain and the dust to EOT.

Pay down your credit cards and bring some cash because there are some great deals at the major shoots on guns, leather, clothes and equipment.

Finally, get your attitude adjusted to Have Fun! Major shoots are a hoot.

As a rule I use inspected new Starline or Top Brass casings for my big match reloads. All rounds are drop-tested in the revolver cylinders. For Winter Range bring sun screen & rain gear.

And no matter what you've heard, do not wear chaps without pants!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

As a rule I use inspected new Starline or Top Brass casings for my big match reloads. All rounds are drop-tested in the revolver cylinders. For Winter Range bring sun screen & rain gear.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Thanks Wolf Bane.. Wouldn't want to be caught without 'em. By the way.. are you speaking from personal experience? :rolleyes:

Blue Hare

Brother King,

The one that I think is most forgiven at a home range is borrowing of ammo on the line. If you run out of say shotgun and someone hands it to you, that is a procedural and a miss for every one that you shoot. Could ruin your day.

Painted Filly

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

:o:o The stories about Indiana are true? :o:o

WR and EOT.

Two I will not have to worry about.

Wanted, and started to plan for WR. Then looked at there vendor fees.

Changed my mind.

EOT. Only if the wife REALLY, REALLY wants to go. As I don't.

And with there vendor fees. She is REALLY going to have to want to.

WR and EOT.

Two I will not have to worry about.

Wanted, and started to plan for WR. Then looked at there vendor fees.

Changed my mind.

EOT. Only if the wife REALLY, REALLY wants to go. As I don't.

And with there vendor fees. She is REALLY going to have to want to.

Y'all could stay home with us and we could have a "we AREN'T going to EOT" party!

:o:o The stories about Indiana are true? :o:o

Hey BK, they were purple chaps and it was a warm day.....

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Been there, done that. Actually I wore chaps and some of those boxers with the attached styrofoam buttocks sticking out......

Of course, I'm also the one that showed up for sign-in at the SE regional one year in my "shooting barrel".

Been there, done that. Actually I wore chaps and some of those boxers with the attached styrofoam buttocks sticking out......

Of course, I'm also the one that showed up for sign-in at the SE regional one year in my "shooting barrel".

They need a photo

RRR

Brother King,

I'm confused by this statement:

That is not a SDQ penalty. Doing it twice could get you a SDQ but a single offense would only earn the shooter a 10-second penalty. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the handbook under Procedural Penalties it says:

"Use of "illegally acquired" ammunition (i.e. NOT carried to the line/staged by the shooter in an approved manner)"

That is not a SDQ penalty. Doing it twice could get you a SDQ but a single offense would only earn the shooter a 10-second penalty. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the handbook under Procedural Penalties it says:

"Use of "illegally acquired" ammunition (i.e. NOT carried to the line/staged by the shooter in an approved manner)"

The "use OR PRESENCE of illegal equipment" has been applied to the "reload ammo in a hatband" many times. Slick McClade got SDQ'd for it after winning the Shootout at EOT or WR (sorry SMcL I can't remember) because he had a reload stuffed in a shotgun loop. He didn't use it... he only carried it to the line in an illegal manner.

It's not "illegally acquired" ammunition, which would refer to someone handing you a s/g round for example or you picking up a jacked rifle or dropped shotgun round.

PLEASE REF. POST #30 for an ROC clarification from the 2011 TG Summit!!

to reiterate what BK said:

The approved methods of carrying ammunition for stage reloads are listed on page 11 of the SHOOTERS HANDBOOK.

Any other method used is considered "use of illegal item" which is a SDQ.

Carrying ammo in an unapproved manner has been stated & clarified numerous times as falling under that rule/penalty.

ILLEGAL ITEMS

The following are examples of SASS “illegal” items. The current version of the SASS Handbook should always be used as an additional reference for illegal items. The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.

RO1 p.27

A number of examples of unapproved methods for carrying ammo are on that list.

Pale Wolf:

PLEASE, tell me there's something in the rules about guys in chaps w/o pants. Surely a safety penalty of some sort. Please. Please.

:-)

Best,

FJT

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.
SHB p.3

That SHOULD "cover" it! ;)

Going to a BIG match for the first time huh? Been shootin' only at ya local club huh? Have not studied the rule book, maybe just read it once, a while back. Thinkin' about maybe shootin' the Wild Bunch match? Here's just a few tips you may wish to consider.

Loading table:

1)Do not visit or talk. Could cause a loading mistake.

2)Cover you guns with your extra hankachief. Lots of small pieces of lead flying around.

3)Double check your ammo. Don't start the stage without enough shotgun shells.

4)Watch the 170 rule as you leave the loading table. Don't ruin your whole week.

Shooting the Stage:

1)Do not try a new technic or method at a major match. Now is NOT the time to pratice.

2)Do not use ammo that is NOT tried and true.

3)Do stage your long guns with hammer FULLY DOWN on an empty chamber.

4)After shooting the stage, GO DIRECTLY TO THE UNLOADING TABLE. DO NOT TALK OR VISIT.

Unloading table:

1)OK to laugh,talk, cry, show off your guns as you safely unload in front of the ULO.

2)Watch the 170 rule as you leave the unloading table. Don't ruin a good stage.

WILD BUNCH MATCH:

1) WB is NOT cowboy action shooting.

2) WB equipment rules will not be bent.

3) When moving with the 1911, slide must be locked back and trigger finger outside the trigger guard.

Just a few things to be aware of.

Ghost

Hey BK how ya doin' pard.

Well me and my lovely lady (Kathouse Kelli)are comin' back to WR in Feb along with about 15 other Aussies from downunder,...some of them first timers for a BIG MATCH! :rolleyes:

Maybe we can catch up and have a good dinner at that place we went to earlier this year (nearly said LAST YEAR)???? TIME FLYS SOOOOOO QUICK.!!

We're staying in Deer Valley again.

We're then comin' BACK AGAIN in April, to shoot Texas,.. man!!! For 7 weeks,..what a blast.

You still with that good woman of yours I hope.

Cheers

Jack

The "use OR PRESENCE of illegal equipment" has been applied to the "reload ammo in a hatband" many times. Slick McClade got SDQ'd for it after winning the Shootout at EOT or WR (sorry SMcL I can't remember) because he had a reload stuffed in a shotgun loop. He didn't use it... he only carried it to the line in an illegal manner.

It's not "illegally acquired" ammunition, which would refer to someone handing you a s/g round for example or you picking up a jacked rifle or dropped shotgun round.

Thanks BK (and PW), I stand corrected!!

It's not "illegally acquired" ammunition, which would refer to someone handing you a s/g round for example

or you picking up a jacked rifle or dropped shotgun round.

One more correction:

Picking up a jacked rifle or dropped shotgun round is a MSV...any targets hit with that ammo count.

(as long as that ammo is initially brought to the line by the shooter in an approved manner)

Minor Safety Penalties

Retrieving a dropped dead round.

RO1 p.25

One more correction:

Picking up a jacked rifle or dropped shotgun round is a MSV...any targets hit with that ammo count.

(as long as that ammo is initially brought to the line by the shooter in an approved manner)

RO1 p.25

oh yeah... geeeze hard to remember here or on the line... but, not to put too fine a point on it: IIRC- if it's 'illegally acquired' ammo then the shot is a miss and the penalty is a "P" as well.

What is the penalty SUPPOSED to be for a shooter that, on finishing the stage, in an act of cleaning up, picks up the empties and live rounds before heading to the unloading table?

oh yeah... geeeze hard to remember here or on the line... but, not to put too fine a point on it: IIRC- if it's 'illegally acquired' ammo then the shot is a miss and the penalty is a "P" as well.

It's NOT "illegally acquired" if the shooter brought the ammo to the line in an "approved manner" in the first place (e.g. properly loaded in the rifle magazine or SG ammo carried in a belt/slide/pouch/&tc)

What is the penalty SUPPOSED to be for a shooter that, on finishing the stage, in an act of cleaning up, picks up the empties and live rounds before heading to the unloading table?

That would be a NO CALL.

24. Ammunition dropped by a shooter in the course of reloading any firearm during a stage or “ejected” from any firearm is considered “dead” and may not be recovered until the shooter completes the course of fire.
SHB p.24

Well me and my lovely lady (Kathouse Kelli)are comin' back to WR in Feb along with about 15 other Aussies from downunder,...some of them first timers for a BIG MATCH! :rolleyes:

Maybe we can catch up and have a good dinner at that place we went to earlier this year (nearly said LAST YEAR)???? TIME FLYS SOOOOOO QUICK.!!

We're then comin' BACK AGAIN in April, to shoot Texas,.. man!!! For 7 weeks,..what a blast.

Cheers

Jack

Howdy Jack,

Me (kiowa Kid) and Painted filly would love to go to dinner will all of you at WR if BK happens to be busy.

Thanks

KK

Cheers

Jack

Jackaroo! I'm really looking forward to seeing all you Aussies again. Mostly Kathouse Kelli, but you, too! HA! Dang if I can remember where that is, but I'll bet Virgil and Almira do as I think it's by their place.

See you all soon!

Hey KK that sounds great. We're all staying at the Studio 6, so we can go to that resty we went last time. Outback Steakhouse or something like that.

Never mind about BK, he'll just have to tag along beside I guess, maybe one of those Blue Healers or Aussie cattle dogs can chase him along a bit. :lol::lol:

Looking forward to catching up with ya, it will be a big posse for dinner. :rolleyes:

Cheers

JAck

The Range Operations Committee took another look at the listing of "illegal/outlawed" items (see Chuckaroo's minutes from the Summit...ROC report #8).

Those items related to the carrying of ammo will henceforth be covered under the "illegally acquired" ammo rule.

The penalty for the USE of ammo from an 'unapproved' method of carrying to the stage will be a PROCEDURAL and any 'hits' with that ammo will be scored as MISSES...same as someone providing/handing ammo to the shooter and the use of 'overloaded' ammo 'carried' in the magazine of a rifle.

Beside those specifically listed, this will also cover ammo carried in ANY 'unapproved manner'; including in the hatband, buttonhole, suspender, etc.

The SHB & RO course materials will be edited to reflect those changes.

ILLEGAL ITEMS

The following are examples of SASS “illegal” items. The current version of the SASS Handbook should always be used as an additional reference for illegal items.

The use or presence of any outlawed item is a Stage Disqualification.

Shotgun belts not worn just above the pistol belt or touching the belly button.

• Holsters departing from the vertical by more than 30 degrees when worn

• Two main match revolvers worn on the same side of the body

Loading during the stage from bandoleers that are tied down in any manner

• Modern shooting gloves

• Short sleeve shirts (Male competitors only)

• Short sleeved tee shirts, long sleeved tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors. (Long

sleeved Henley type shirts with buttons are allowed.)

• Modern feathered cowboy hats

• Designer jeans

• Ball caps

• Tennis, running, jogging, aerobic or other modern athletic shoes, combat boots

• Apparel displaying manufacturer’s, sponsor’s or team logos. Manufacturer’s labels on

such apparel or equipment are acceptable.

Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.

Wearing a shotgun slide over shotgun loops on an ammo belt.

RO1 p.27

Archived