SASS Wire Forum

should i get 158grn rfp

Perro Del Diablo

I load 125ga TFP 38s at a OAL of 1.53 for my 92s never had a hicup or jam in my slicked by Nate 92s.The 92s are picky about the OAL.

I've got a Marlin that only likes the 158 gr. RNFP bullets. Everything else gets the 125 gr. TC bullets. OAL probably has more to do with feeding problems but find out what your rifle likes and then buy in bulk.

Go with Possum,I have never seen him run his 92,but he runs my 92 way faster than I can..But mine ran the 125 gr with him runing it good .

I don't have a '92 but both my wife's Marlin 94 Cowboy and my daughter's Marlin 94 Carbine run just fine with 125 TCFPs loaded to 1.50".

have 3 diff styles of marlin, all will run 125 if you get the OAL set to the proper min and keep the press locked in there!

Best way I found to do that is use the factory crimp die. Then No worries!

Also, I've found there is a 125gr T/C Flat Point and a 130gr RNFP that both work perfect! They both have the ring placed in exact spot needed for a picky marlin OAL on a .38 case. ( http://www.bulletworks.com/cowboy_bullets.html )

I have a '92 with the NKJ action job as well. I've run both 125 grn TCFP's and 158 grn RNFP's in it without a problem with either. HOWEVER, it is OAL sensitive AND I need to insure that I rack the rifle ALL the way forward BEFORE pulling the lever back. If I try to get too quick and "short stroke" it, it will jam -- regardless of the bullet shape.

I tried 158's in hopes of getting more bullet seated in the case and reduce fouling. I didn't really see that much of a difference and I didn't want to load pistol AND rifle bullets, so I stuck with the 125's. When you load the 125's to 1.50+, you'll notice that you're crimping just above the grease groove on 125's.

I've since acquired a '66, so the '92 is a back-up these days. I still think my '92 is a great rifle, but it just isn't as quick as the '66 with all the bells and whistles.

Chick

I've run down this road before. I started with 158 RNFP loaded to 1.53 for my rifle; this is crimped just below the crimp groove. I still have several hundred rounds left loaded. I also loaded 125 TC crimped in the crimp groove for my pistol ammo.

Recently I toyed with loading 125 TC to an OAL of 1.53 which made the crimp below the crimp groove. I loaded 100 rounds of that and it cycled and fired just fine in my picky Marlin. I had a concern that if I did not crimp in the crimp groove that the bullet would not seal well enough and would not fire reliably. I since learned that the lead is pretty soft to if you have a good crimp, even not in the crimp groove, the bullet seals and fires just fine.

So, I'm going to shoot up the rest of the 158 RNFP that I have loaded for my rifle and only buy 125 TC in future and load them at 1.53 OAL for both rifle and pistol rounds.

Works for me and my picky Marlin...however YMMV

I've run down this road before. I started with 158 RNFP loaded to 1.53 for my rifle; this is crimped just below the crimp groove. I still have several hundred rounds left loaded. I also loaded 125 TC crimped in the crimp groove for my pistol ammo.

Recently I toyed with loading 125 TC to an OAL of 1.53 which made the crimp below the crimp groove. I loaded 100 rounds of that and it cycled and fired just fine in my picky Marlin. I had a concern that if I did not crimp in the crimp groove that the bullet would not seal well enough and would not fire reliably. I since learned that the lead is pretty soft to if you have a good crimp, even not in the crimp groove, the bullet seals and fires just fine.

So, I'm going to shoot up the rest of the 158 RNFP that I have loaded for my rifle and only buy 125 TC in future and load them at 1.53 OAL for both rifle and pistol rounds.

Works for me and my picky Marlin...however YMMV

I am getting ready to do some 147gr rnfp bullets that do not have a crimp groove at all.

Load it to the length you want. Should be really good bullet for those rifles that are picky on OAL.

I have loaded 158gr boolits since about 1970, so didn't see anyneed to change when I started to shoot CAS...Ken of old Ten-X tried to convice me to shoot some 130gr he had and I was all over the target so back to my 158gr rnfp, BearCreeks. I love em and don't intend to change anytime soon. (my model 66 will put a round on a clay target out to 80+ yards at point of aim, so that is about as good as I need.

being an old tymer, I use Unique for 45lc, 45acp, and Bullseye for 38,357 and Clays for 12ga.

curley

Thanks guys I knew this was the place to ask. I've been seating to 1.45. these jams are not regular but annoying when it does happen. I could also be short stroking a little because my daughter never seems to have the same problem.

wildman

My Widdermatic Marlin runs great with a 125gr. TCFP at 1.395, I load that short because I also have a short-stroked Marlin (not a Spur) that won't run anything much longer.

Before the Widdermatic converson one of my Marlins would only feed a 158gr. RNFP, at 1.53.

I think each rifle is different, experiment and see what it likes best.

Randy

When I started I bought a Jimmy Spurs Marlin. After reading about Marlin and OAL issues on this here WAHR I was concerned I'd have trouble. I bought my first 1000 rounds, I got half 125gr and half 158 gr just in case. The 158s had a longer OAL. I noticed no difference in feeding between the two using my Marlin.

When I started reloading I used, and still use 130 gr RNFP that I can get locally, IIRC the come in at about 1.45 or so and I have no problems with them. I have to 'double clutch' now and then, but I think that's more a function of me than the rifle and bullet OAL.

Different rifles, different amount of wear and or tuning will each have their own 'preference' for OAL. Same rifle clean and dirty may even.

Grizz

I load the 147gr TC bullet from Moulton Lead for my rifle. It is long in order to replicate the OAL of a .357 out of a .38 case. Feeds great in my '73.

I looked on their website and saw that bullet. Question....if the bullet is a little longer did they increase the distance from the crimp groove to the top of the bullet or did they increase the distance from the crimp groove to the bottom of the bullet. It would seem that increasing the distance from the crimp groove to the top of the bullet would be more desirable, that way you can get the longer OAL required for Marlins but also crimp in the crimp groove.

The 147 grn TC won't feed in my Marlin 1894 no matter what OAL I use. 125gr FP works great at 1.53. This is the same round that Ammo Direct used to make before they caught fire. I now reload my own.

DAS

I looked on their website and saw that bullet. Question....if the bullet is a little longer did they increase the distance from the crimp groove to the top of the bullet or did they increase the distance from the crimp groove to the bottom of the bullet. It would seem that increasing the distance from the crimp groove to the top of the bullet would be more desirable, that way you can get the longer OAL required for Marlins but also crimp in the crimp groove.

Although it looks like there is a crimp groove in the photo on their website, there isn't a crimp groove on the ones that I bought. I load them to 1.53" OAL and put a moderate to heavy crimp into the case.

C.W.

The company I am working with provides Nates/Steves rounds for the 92's he works on.............we provide him with live test ammo and dummy rounds also that he sends out with his work. All these are made to Nates specifications..............

And we use a 158 gr bullet and load for OAL at 1.5+.....and the crimp is low on the base of the bullet - since the bullet is moved up higher in the case and we have (Nate & Us) been pleased with the results we got from out ammo testing.

If you have any questions you can contact me at Sttarrwolf@aol.com or call 435-669-3221

Best regards..Wolf Wind-Walker SASS #36748 MP#4

Archived