SASS Wire Forum

I've been approached (cornered).....again...

Cliff Hanger #3720LR

I have looked over the range calendar and finding a Sunday to do this is not easy. All the dates near the end of the year when we usually do this have been taken over by local Annual Events. July and August are just too soon and too hot for this sort of thing.

I am willing to put together an "All Shotgun Cowboy Match" if there is interest. I have already started writing stages. The date available looks like Sept 18th. This is a third Sunday. As always to get the lions to prepare their $5.00 lunch I need a minimum of 25 shooters committed to this event.

It will be 6 stages...maybe 7. Between 100 and 125 rounds.

5 Categories;

1. Hammerless Double

2. Hammered Double

3. Pump

4. Lever

5. Outlaw (which is two shotguns)

One gun must be a double and one gun must be pump or lever on each stage.

Any double and either a pump or lever combination.

If there is interest let me know and I will reserve the day at the range. I will also start the web page showing the shooters planning to be there.

I will post the stages when as soon as I get them finished so everyone can look them over. But be advised, Stage 2 is a blind stage. You will know how many targets and rounds there are but you don't get to see the stage until you are on the clock.

The question is, "Do we want to do this?"

Maybe I should say this will happen at the RRBar range in Lucerne Valley, CA. Site of the SASS Western Regional and the little Town of Chimney Rock.

The question is, "Do we want to do this?"

YES

Coffee

Well, let's see here....

In one match I could use all 3 SxS's

a pump action,

AND

a lever action

So that's a different pair for each of 6 stages,

sounds pretty good ta me....

Just gotta check the shedulle...

JJJ-D

The question is not, " Do we want to do this?", but rather "How many of us want to do this?". Just make sure you have enough interest to make a match. We've already seen a thread about a state WB Championship that nobody signed up for.

I've always had a BLAST doing an all shotgun match. Just bought a 32 inch barrel Winchester 1897 made in 1904.

Got a double 12 with and without hammers, got lots of shells loaded, both BLACK POWDER and smokeless.

I'm going to make some phone calls and round up a couple of pards, sounds like fun to me. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Ivory Jack,

You know how I do this.

Some stages will have instructions that tell you how loading is to be done. Some don't and you are on your own to do what ever it takes to get through the stage. Just like target order. Some stages have a target order and some do not.

The match is not just to see who can shoot targets the fastest but have everyone work their guns in different ways and not just single feed them.

Writing stages for a shotgun match is not easy. I have to consider every category and how they might get through the stages. Make each stage friendly (sort of) for all.

The end result should be everyone smiling ear to ear at the end of the day.

H. K. Uriah,

You know, most matches I do I provide the stages online long before the day of the match so everyone has a chance to look them over and decide if this is the sort of match they want to come to.

Now you being on the other coast, you (or anyone else) are welcome to use any stages I put up for my matches. If you want distances, I just toss targets out. It depends on how hot or how heavy the targets are to where I drop them. Some will be close and some will be farther out. I can tell you the shooters will have to move forward to get closer on some of these targets.

Cliffy,

i dont have a 97 that feeds fron the tube, are you saying that will be a requirement?

CC

CC; You can shoot a '97 one at a time all day if you want to, no need to load from the mag.

In fact some are faster loading 1 @ a time than loading up the mag. Me, I like to stoke up the mag with 6

and let 'er RIP!!!! Just sayin'

Big Jake

Charlie, it is possible that loading more than one round at a time will be part of the stage instructions.

I have run up against this question before.

If you have a 97 that will not feed from the magazine tube, your gun should to be repaired. It's not functioning as designed.

As I finish writing stages, I post them so everyone knows what to expect long before match day. No Surprises.

The blind stage has no loading instructions. In fact the only instruction is that all targets go down or break. You just don't get to see the targets until you get the beep to start the stage.

---------

Jake, my matches follow SASS Safety Rules for the most part but the stage instructions may say how guns are to be loaded during a given stage. Such as "Load two, Shoot Two" from each position. Or all rounds to be loaded using the magazine. Or "Load one, Shoot one". Or no instructions on loading where the shooter loads as they want. There is more than one way to load and shoot any shotgun. I try to use this as part of the match.

Charlie, you can use my double if you want?

I don't think the doctors are going to release me to shoot by Sept.

They are running a series of tests that won't be finished by then. Really nothing to worry about.

cliff,

thats not where i choose to spend my $. it operates fine for the purpose of its purchase. :P

i really want to join you for one of these but that may be a deal breaker. :(

dont change it for me. i'll either adapt or i wont.

see ya next week.

CC

CC; I've got 6 Winchester 97's. your welcome to use one for the match if you want to. I'll also look at fixing your so it works, if you want me to. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Guest mcshagnasty,sass#452

count me in and keep me in touch.I shot with ya a couple years ago with a torn rotocuff and still had a great time hope it materializes..

b.b. McShagnasty

A Chinchester '97 Pump -- Thankfully with a Wussy Pad I installed after your last all shogun match. :blink:

Mr. Hanger,

Count me in and I'll try my best to bring one or both of the boys with me. They are coming by this morning and we are going out to do a little plinking. Dan has not been shooting for 5 years or so. (things change when young men find out about girls)

I don't suppose the guys are gonna let me use my .410 lever action again!?! I do have a pump and double in working order though!!

Ethan

Chickamauga Charlie,

I had some time this afternoon so I finished writing all 6 stages.

There will be 106+ rounds required to get through this match.

You will be glad to know I did not include how you will load your shotgun.

I left that up to the shooter.

There's a enough to do as it is.

There might be small edit changes but the basics are there.

All-Shotgun-Match.html]All Shotgun Cowboy Match

Next thing I will do is see if I can get September 18th. (Third Sunday in September) for those of us, who really like our cowboy shotguns.

Auntie Emmy and her 97 are comming

not sure about the rest of the clan.

Is there going to be a separate catagory for Black Powder?

Coffee

Is there going to be a separate catagory for Black Powder?

Coffee

You MIGHT want to rethink the black powder deal Coffee. I did one of Cliff's all shotgun matches with BP ONE TIME ONLY. Needless to say, I got burnt a time or three with a hot barrel.

JJ-D

Dusty is on the list. Thanks.

----------------

Coffee,

As far as separate BP categories, the all shotgun match has always been a use the powder you want match. Categories are determined by the shotgun(s) you use.

This all started as Pump only match in 1997. The 100th year of the Winchester Model 1897 Pump. Then doubles where added. Then Doubles where divided in to Hammerless and Hammered if there where enough of each. Then the Lever guns wanted a category. I would rather not add more categories.

I use to do all Rifle matches. Started with 3 categories. Lever Pistol caliber, Lever Rifle Caliber and Single shot. That divided in to smokeless and BP. Then other types of rifles were added. So many categories that there were only two maybe three shooters in over half the categories. Attendance dropped off making it not practical to put on rifle matches. The All Rifle Match died. If I were to consider an All Rifle Match again (which I'm not) I would go back to the three category format.

-----------------

As for BP. I have heard from Prof Bullspit that he is going to start planning the next All Black Powder Match "Thunder Valley" when he returns from his trip to Alaska mid August. (job hunting) I also hear that Ethan Cord wants to do some side matches for this same event.

I will start looking at the range calender for available dates. There are so many big events locally that it's hard to come up with a day to shoot that isn't either in the 100+ degrees or freezing part of the year up here in the desert.

But for now, let's get this All Shotgun Match off the ground. Maybe this year I should hand out some sort of Mentholatum Deep Heat Rub for pain to all the shooters who show up! (joking . . . . sort of)

Archived