SASS Wire Forum

A World Gone Mad

Recent news item threads here and world events in general ... has something been put in the water globally?

Supreme Court OK's warrantless entry ... British police tell homeowners not to do anything that might injure a burglar ... we have a government whose mantra is "we have to spend to get out of debt" ... the idea that shared sacrifice is somehow better than shared prosperity ... NATO gangs up on and is bombing the daylights out of one dictator in Libya while ignoring the slaughter being committed by another in Syria ... everyday it's something equally insensibly bizarre.

In Cleveland we have an afternoon radio host who often says "I'm livin' in a world I just don't understand".

He's right. We are.

Recent news item threads here and world events in general ... has something been put in the water globally?

Supreme Court OK's warrantless entry ... British police tell homeowners not to do anything that might injure a burglar ... we have a government whose mantra is "we have to spend to get out of debt" ... the idea that shared sacrifice is somehow better than shared prosperity ... NATO gangs up on and is bombing the daylights out of one dictator in Libya while ignoring the slaughter being committed by another in Syria ... everyday it's something equally insensibly bizarre.

In Cleveland we have an afternoon radio host who often says "I'm livin' in a world I just don't understand".

He's right. We are.

I'm right there with you, although in the case of Libya, I understand there is the possibility of some oil leases that France and the UK are worried about. Go figure...

He's right. We are.

I have said that for years, Captain.

I sometimes wonder what it must have been like in 1939-40. Hitler in Germany. Stalin in Russia. France fallen. The lights truly going out in all of Europe. What form of dictatorship will eventually come out on top? Britain on her last legs....there was a world gone really mad.

Then they were in the war. Saw hell everywhere, in North Africa, Europe, the Pacific. Everything was worse than it is today.

That was the generation of my mom and dad, my teachers, my scoutmasters, and the parents of my friends. Yet they were always optimists, and thought they lived in the best of times ever. They did not seem scarred by these experiences. I think of one in particular, still alive at 89, who had four war patrols in submarines. He was the man who hired me in my law firm. I have never heard him bellyache about the world at any time in the last 40 years. His brother, still alive at 87, is the same. The good old days? "What was so good about them?" they always say with a laugh.

That's what I want to be like if I get old.

I sometimes wonder what it must have been like in 1939-40. Hitler in Germany. Stalin in Russia. France fallen. The lights truly going out in all of Europe. What form of dictatorship will eventually come out on top? Britain on her last legs....there was a world gone really mad.

Then they were in the war. Saw hell everywhere, in North Africa, Europe, the Pacific. Everything was worse than it is today.

That was the generation of my mom and dad, my teachers, my scoutmasters, and the parents of my friends. Yet they were always optimists, and thought they lived in the best of times ever. They did not seem scarred by these experiences. I think of one in particular, still alive at 89, who had four war patrols in submarines. He was the man who hired me in my law firm. I have never heard him bellyache about the world at any time in the last 40 years. His brother, still alive at 87, is the same. The good old days? "What was so good about them?" they always say with a laugh.

That's what I want to be like if I get old.

But will that still be true tomorrow...or the next day...or a month or more down the road? We aren't on a slippery slope anymore, folks. I think we've gone over the edge and are in free fall.

As individuals, we are not responsible for the world we live in. We are only responsible for our own choices.

Make sane choices, Pards; maybe it will spread.

He's right. We are.

Indiana Supreme Court.

But still a worry.

Waylon said it long ago "The Worlds gone crazy, again!"

I'm in awe of the stupidity that is happening out there

To quote Waylon again.....

"Stop the world and let me off, I'm tire of goin' 'round and 'round."

~EE Taft~

Good old days:

Cars lasted (with luck) 100,000 miles with a V8, 80000 with a 6.

Children died of Polio, measles, scarlet fever etc.

Cataracts meant you went blind.

A heart attack was certain death.

A bum knee meant crutches or a cane for the rest of your life.

Cancer? Untreatable.

Postage stamp=1 dozen fresh eggs.

Rh factor? All of your kids died either at birth or soon after.

A good worker made .50¢ a day.

Two pair of shoes? You were rich.

When a girl told you she could not go out with you because she had to wash her hair, it was a valid excuse. Washed hair once a week and since there was no such thing as a hair dryer, it had to air dry for a while.

I grew up with no electricity, no running water and no indoor plumbing.

Maybe these are the good old days.

I almost had a minute of panic.

I'm okay now. :lol:

Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal suicide

Foreign debts, homeless Vets, AIDS, Crack, Bernie Goetz

Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law

Rock and Roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore ;)

The eastern world, it is exploding

Violence flarin', bullets loadin'

You're old enough to kill, but not for votin'

You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin'

And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin'

But you tell me

Over and over and over again, my friend

Ah, you don't believe

We're on the eve

of destruction.

Don't you understand what I'm tryin' to say

Can't you feel the fears I'm feelin' today?

If the button is pushed, there's no runnin' away

There'll be no one to save, with the world in a grave

[Take a look around ya boy, it's bound to scare ya boy]

And you tell me

Ah, you don't believe

We're on the eve

of destruction.

Yeah, my blood's so mad feels like coagulatin'

I'm sitting here just contemplatin'

I can't twist the truth, it knows no regulation.

Handful of senators don't pass legislation

And marches alone can't bring integration

When human respect is disintegratin'

This whole crazy world is just too frustratin'

And you tell me

Ah, you don't believe

We're on the eve

of destruction.

Think of all the hate there is in Red China

Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama

You may leave here for 4 days in space

But when you return, it's the same old place

The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace

You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace

Hate your next-door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace

And… tell me over and over and over and over again, my friend

You don't believe

We're on the eve

Of destruction

Mm, no no, you don't believe

We're on the eve

of destruction.

Eve of Destruction, written by P.F. Sloan and sung by Barry McGuire, 1965

It has always been thus, my son. ;)

Matt 24:6-7 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places.

Nuttin' new under old Sol....still are earthquakes in various places....

Matt 24:6-7 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places.

Nuttin' new under old Sol....still are earthquakes in various places....

ALL the above, and for a long, long time too. Longer than I can remember anyway....

Archived