SASS Wire Forum

Easter Dinner

Rye Miles #13621

My sister took up the tradition after my mother passed away. We have Lasagna or Ravioli, salad, Italian sausage, meatballs, Italian bread and veggies of some kind. I like wine with the meal but there's all kinds of stuff to drink. Later we have ham and scalloped potatoes. Hmmm....getting hungry already!:unsure:

What are ya'll havin fer Easter?

Happy Easter to all. Rye :)

My sister took up the tradition after my mother passed away. We have Lasagna or Ravioli, salad, Italian sausage, meatballs, Italian bread and veggies of some kind. I like wine with the meal but there's all kinds of stuff to drink. Later we have ham and scalloped potatoes. Hmmm....getting hungry already!:unsure:

How much later?!? A week?!? :lol:

Ryes.. coming from a mixed culure as well as a broken home.. I have sort of made my own traditions..which are pretty worthless since I dont' have children,.. lol.. but I want to shoot on Easter. in memory of those who wish they could.. and as for food.. it is not something I worry about often... obvious.. huh?? lo..

What I loved about Easter in the past was church, and family.. At my age now.. family, well they have their own children even grandchildren..

Church.. it happens outside in God's country.. he made the great outdoors. not the buildings that man built. So, I would love to start my own traditions of Easter being about God's country.. and enjoying it.. So Sunday before I pull my trigger I will cross my heart in memory of my God who loves me and all of you who I love and admire, so much..

The cool part is I think God could care less about what I eat, but a lot more about if we all eat.. So.. I might do a soup kitchen later in the day if I can find one..

How much later?!? A week?!? :lol:

Believe it or not about 5 hours later......:blush: I don't eat for a week after Easter, and we usually go outside and play catch, baseball or a football and burn some food off before the ham arrives.:)

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Same here, grew up in NYC Sicilian by birth my brother just came for a visit so we're planning dinner as we speak.

Happy Easter to you and yours

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Easter.

Will start with an early communion service at church, followed by a pot luck breakfast, then the main service.

I'm singing in the main service so I'll go light at breakfast, maybe some fresh fruit and a couple pieces of bacon, hard to pass up bacon.

After church we'll go to my sister in law's house for a big ham dinner with all the fixins.

Grizz

In my neck of the woods, borscht is a soup made with meat and cabbage. Sort of the Mennonite version of ministrone. Yum!

I'm headed to the central coast this weedend, so it's gonna be clam chowder from Splash Cafe for Easter dinner. :wub:

Legs of lamb, borscht, roasted potatos, various breads and vegetables, and red red wine.

XPICTOC BOCKPECE!

воистину воскресе

Χριστός ανέστη!

Αληθώς ανέστη!

We don't have an Easter Dinner per se. When the service is over at about 3 a.m. Sunday, we go to the hall for the blessing of the fleshmeats, then have some ham and vodka and kielbasa and wine and deviled eggs and beer and cheese and vodka and kulich and cheese pascha.

Then home for a few hours sleep. My wife and I have started a new local tradition - Easter Breakfast. The first few years we were Orthodox we just stayed (camped) at church during Holy Week - with all the services, baking, and getting everything sparkling clean (taking apart and polishing brass candle stands and such) we figured it made sense to stay.

The first year the priests grandkids smelled us cooking breakfast and came over to the hall so we fed them on condition that they then pitch in and help with cleaning up the wax from the floor in church etc. It grew from there. So, breakfast - scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast made with kulich and using cream in the batter, real butter, heavy cream for the coffee. Then clean up and get ready for Paschal Vespers at 1.

Then a parish cookout and potluck. People bring meat for themselves and a side to share. Some bring lots of meat to share too. Tri tip, lamb, pork chops, pig-sicles, burgers, italian sausage, bratwust. By the time that breaks up around sunset, who wants dinner?

Another breakfast after the Bright Monday Liturgy.

How about beef stroganoff, greenbean casserole, rice, noodles, fruit salad, PECAN PIE and Apple Cranberry pie.

Italian in my house was traditionally a Roast Leg of Lamb..

The lasagna, baked ziti, manicotti, meatballs, sausage, braciole, huge antipasta, salad, garlic bread.salami, provolone, were for all the other holidays, every Sunday was Spaghetti with meatballs and sausage.

Of course the gravy was always homemade from scratch and cooked all day.

Some of my favorites are Pasta and peas, Pasta and lentils, with a potatoe and egg fritatta and a big hunk of italian bread. I also like paper thin chicken cutlets so tender they can be cut with a fork. If you could not cut them with a fork my father would not eat them.

My kids were raised on the same cooking that I was as my wife and I cook just like my mother and now the kids are learning or have learned the same way...

Archived