SASS Wire Forum

Just watched a video on the Dillon 550 Press

Sometimes the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid) is the best way to go.

Grizz who recently finished loading pretty much every 38 special case he owns, about 2100 or so of them.... on a rock chucker.

I am preplexed though. The other day my Grandson came down to reload some .38s. I took the die out of the box and it was rusty around the top of the sizing die. The others were ok. Just the one.

WTH is that all about?

I still use the Lee single-stage press I bought 15 years ago,

At the loading table, a gal near me couldn't get a shell in her gun,

I showed her the case had a crushed-brass shoulder and was trash.

Her husband did all the loading ----- with a multi-stage press and never checked each round when done <_<

I've never had a high-primer or crushed/misloaded shell ---- ever,

I handle EACH loaded shell as I place it in the box - slow .... but sure ;)

This will be my third season shooting SASS. Last year I bough a 550B. Never reloaded before. It took a little time to understand the adjustments of the dies. After that clear sailing. The machine is great . To date I have loaded 5,000 rounds of .45 colt and 100 rounds of .45-70. Only had about 4 or 5 primers turnaround in feeding tube. A great press to use. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't doubt that at all, Mr. Vic. But I am not sure that Icould keep the operation going. I have to double check myself on some of the steps with the single stage press. I can just see me trying to do two things at once. Didn't mean to start talk down a multiaction press. Just that I ain't skilled enough to operate one.

I'm with ya Badger!

I stay with the Rock! I guess I am just too much into check, check and recheck???

Always with that Peabodys watchfull eye!

I enjoy the time reloading so speed is not my thing...

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Just watched a video on the Dillon 550 Press

Is it rated suitable for young children?

ts

Hey there Hyde...

Was lookin' for ya... gonna say "hi" if you were still here'bouts.

Thanks, Pard... I'll stick 'round a bit... lessin' somebody runs me off.

ts

I'm jealous; my Lee press won't play videos.....

Shhheeessshhh... that's nothin'... the Dillon 650 plays Blue Ray... and the 1050 plays 3-D. (But ya still got to use them special eye-glasses to view the 3-D.)

ts

When I get rich and famous, or maybe just win a raffle for one, I'm gonna get me one of them new fangled 650 critters. I'm glad I learned on a rock chucker, but I think I might just be growed up enuff now for a progressive, I will use a powder check systems though since I won't be able to as easily look into each case like I do now.

How am I gonna get rich and famous you ask? See, that's the problem, I got no idear.

Hey there Hyde...

Was lookin' for ya... gonna say "hi" if you were still here'bouts.

Thanks, Pard... I'll stick 'round a bit... lessin' somebody runs me off.

ts

Got yer back, Pard. :lol:

I started out with an RCBS Rock Crusher in 1974. I bought my Dillon RL 450 in 1983 and have since upgraded to the RL550B and haven't looked back....

I got my 550 set up by a good pard sunday.Loaded 900 rounds monday and broke my decapping pin because I had a old primer hung in my little primer shute and got some primers in a case and tried to push it out and broke it.Got some new pins tues and loaded 450 more tues.Thats all I got.I have never loaded any thing before and after Gator set me up and showed me what to do and what to look for, I love it.Any one have any 38 special cases for sale.

I dragged myself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and invested in a second turret for my Lyman T Mag (original not the T mag II). Last loading session got so paranoid over not charging a case, I started charging cases as a separate operation 50 at a time into a loading block and then visually inspecting. Do not worry about double loads as they are still under 44 mag max, but squibs leaving a bullet in the barrel scare me. I am now good to go with .308 and 45 on one turret 44 maybe I should put both pistols on the same turret, but the dies are adjusted now. Are there one or two Z in Lazy?

I dragged myself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and invested in a second turret for my Lyman T Mag (original not the T mag II). Last loading session got so paranoid over not charging a case, I started charging cases as a separate operation 50 at a time into a loading block and then visually inspecting. Do not worry about double loads as they are still under 44 mag max, but squibs leaving a bullet in the barrel scare me. I am now good to go with .308 and 45 on one turret 44 maybe I should put both pistols on the same turret, but the dies are adjusted now. Are there one or two Z in Lazy?

................ probably 15 ...

:P

I still use the Lee single-stage press I bought 15 years ago,

At the loading table, a gal near me couldn't get a shell in her gun,

I showed her the case had a crushed-brass shoulder and was trash.

Her husband did all the loading ----- with a multi-stage press and never checked each round when done <_<

Yeah, that can happen on any press. Lots of mechanical leverage in that handle. Any loading manual will tell you to stop when things don't feel right. Apparently this guy thought the solution was to pull harder. I bet he's never read anything in a manual except the loading data.

BMC, I'm with ya regarding keep using my RCBS Rock Crusher.... I'm quite certain that I'm too much of a dinosaur when it come to the multitasking advanced reloaders....

...and I'm certain that they w**k fine as well.... it's just me...

I've grown kinda fond of all them fingers. All eleben of 'em.

Okie, I do understand hammers. Ya always need a bigger one.

Reminds me of my niece. Once I gave her a feather duster to play with and she ruined two of my best anvils! :lol:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway (love ya Blue!) Kid

Archived