SASS Wire Forum

Just watched a video on the Dillon 550 Press

Howdy saloon pards.

I owe you all a round. :)

I've been wanting to start reloading but I'm just starting out and buying all of my kit, I took some advice from your conversation.

Cabela's has a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme loading kit on sale and I picked one up with some shell holders and dies for my .357 and .45LC.

As a newbie I figure you guys would know a good system and I've seen the RCBS press in gun magazines from the time I was a teenager, so that seemed like a good enough track record for a beginner like me.

One of the local outdoor stores also handles RCBS and I can pick up supplies there to finish the kit out.

Thank y'all, I appreciate it!

P.S. if I don't like the included beam scale, do any of you have suggestions?

Howdy saloon pards.

I owe you all a round. :)

I've been wanting to start reloading but I'm just starting out and buying all of my kit, I took some advice from your conversation.

Cabela's has a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme loading kit on sale and I picked one up with some shell holders and dies for my .357 and .45LC.

As a newbie I figure you guys would know a good system and I've seen the RCBS press in gun magazines from the time I was a teenager, so that seemed like a good enough track record for a beginner like me.

One of the local outdoor stores also handles RCBS and I can pick up supplies there to finish the kit out.

Thank y'all, I appreciate it!

P.S. if I don't like the included beam scale, do any of you have suggestions?

There are small electronic scales available at reasonable prices ... they seem accurate enough for Cowboy Action Shooting. :)

There are small electronic scales available at reasonable prices ... they seem accurate enough for Cowboy Action Shooting. :)

Thanks Jack. :)

RHL, I started out about 40 years ago with a RCBS 10-10 scale. I weigh each load as it comes from the powder measurer. Given the accuracy of my shooting, I am not certain that it is all that helpful,

but the measure and the scale seem to agree on the weight. Just about every charge is the same and one in maybe fifteen needs to be tweaked a few grains.

As Jack said, there are some electronic scales out there, but I have never used one and I know nothing about them. I have often thought that I might try one to see how it measures (no pun intended) against the mechanical arm.

Hope you have as much fun reloading as I do. I like to handle each round to make sure I get no surprises at the firing line. If it wasn't for some danged primers I got, or some bad powder, don't know which, I would be in tall cotton.

I don't weigh powder much any more. When I start a session of powder, bullet crimp, I dump 10 or so charges out of the measure to get the flow going good, then I weigh one, it's always been right on the mark. I'll weigh one here and there if I get a wild hair, or something looks off, but I sure don't weigh every 10th or 20th charge like I used to.

Do the powder charges vary in my rounds plus or minus a tenth of a grain? I wouldn't doubt it, but for cowboy shooting for grins and giggles, who cares? Not me.

I have been of the mindset to stockpile empty cases and reload a whole bunch at once. But having just gotten done doing that, I'm going back to smaller batches, spread out the fun so it won't feel like a huge chore all at once. I"m thinking maybe two matches worth and then load it up if I have time.

Archived