SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne's toupee

Tom Payne 13115

He must have had dozens and dozens over the years, and since he made movies all over the world I'm sure there are a few scattered around here and there. <_<

EDIT: found this on the BBC news

John Wayne's wig up for auction

Wayne wore wigs in all his films from the 1948 flick Wake of the Red Witch

A wig worn by film star John Wayne in the 1967 movie El Dorado is going under the hammer in the US, auction house Bonhams has announced.

The toupee, which is brown with a hint of grey, expected to sell for up to £1,000.

Margaret Barrett from Bonhams and Butterfields, said: "The hairline is quite distinctive and fans would be able to recognise it at once."

Wayne wore wigs in all his films from the 1948 flick Wake of the Red Witch.

The Max Factor toupee came from the family of one of the movie's make-up artists.

Wayne, who died in 1979, was also known as The Duke and gained a reputation for his rugged masculinity, voice and distinctive swagger.

The actor - whose real name was Marion Robert Morrison - played the lead in 142 of the movies he appeared in.

"In the US John Wayne is huge even though he has been dead for 30 years or more," Ms Barrett added.

2011 THE YEAR THE SASS WIRE WENT DOWN FOR GOOD.ANYBODY WANNA BID ON THAT.

That's funny <_<

In the movie North to Alaska in a fight scene he jerks his head back after a pop in the chin and you can see the toup flap back towards the back of his head..He had a runway fit for horse flys to land on.. :blush:

"I WOULDN'T SAY THAT TO OFTEN,AND ONCE MORE WOULD BE TO OFTEN!

OHHH NATIN,YOU COME ME,WE GET DRUNK TOGETTER,HUNT BUFFLO~~~

True story... and relevant to this topic.

Back in the mid-60's, USC (the Duke's alma mater) and the University of Texas had a home and home series. When the game was played in Austin, John Wayne came over to see it. When Wayne was a student as USC he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. When the Sigma Chi chapter at UT heard he was coming, they invited him to come to the fraternity house. Much to their delight, he accepted.

He sat down in the dining room to hold court. First thing he requested was a bottle of Scotch, which was promptly produced. He commenced to have some friendly give and take with the folks who had assembled. One of the brothers decided to rib the Duke about his receding hairline.

Without batting an eye, he looked his needler square in the eye and said, "Son... if you hang around with me long enough, I'll introduce you to some women who'll tear your hair out, too!"

It was a vintage John Wayne moment and gave the guys there a memory I doubt if they'll ever forget.

Regards, TJH

True story... and relevant to this topic.

Back in the mid-60's, USC (the Duke's alma mater) and the University of Texas had a home and home series. When the game was played in Austin, John Wayne came over to see it. When Wayne was a student as USC he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. When the Sigma Chi chapter at UT heard he was coming, they invited him to come to the fraternity house. Much to their delight, he accepted.

He sat down in the dining room to hold court. First thing he requested was a bottle of Scotch, which was promptly produced. He commenced to have some friendly give and take with the folks who had assembled. One of the brothers decided to rib the Duke about his receding hairline.

Without batting an eye, he looked his needler square in the eye and said, "Son... if you hang around with me long enough, I'll introduce you to some women who'll tear your hair out, too!"

It was a vintage John Wayne moment and gave the guys there a memory I doubt if they'll ever forget.

Regards, TJH

In the mid 70's The Duke was at Port Hueneme doing a documentary about the Seabees...I was a young UT3 at the time getting ready to start to "B" School and I was given a crew to move and clean things around the Seabee museum as needed...As we were doing are thing The Duke stop me just to chit caht ...what my rate was...were I had been...how I liked the Bees and such....

Well this Lt. Commander walked up and then said:

" Can I get you a cup of coffee Mr. Wayne?"

The Duke:

"Why thank you ...I'll take it black".....

The Lt. Commander turned to me and said:....

"Petty Officer fetch Mr. Wayne a cup of coffee!....

I started to turn to fetch the coffee and The Duke Barked:

"HOLD FAST PETTY OFFICER I AM NOT DONE WITH YOU!....

The Duke then turned to the Lt. Commander and said:

"Commander I was having a conversation with the Petty Officer when you interrupted our conversation and you kindly offered me a cup of coffee to witch I excepted....I have not finished my conversation with the Petty Officer....You offered the coffee you fetch it and wail your at it bring the Petty Officer a cup too...he will also take it black!"

That was the best damn cup of coffee I have ever drank in my life....and that Lt. Commander...If looks could kill I would have been dead 100 times over...he hated me and tried like hell to make me pay.....but that was OK....I had coffee with The Duke!

In the mid 70's The Duke was at Port Hueneme doing a documentary about the Seabees...I was a young UT3 at the time getting ready to start to "B" School and I was given a crew to move and clean things around the Seabee museum as needed...As we were doing are thing The Duke stop me just to chit caht ...what my rate was...were I had been...how I liked the Bees and such....

Well this Lt. Commander walked up and then said:

" Can I get you a cup of coffee Mr. Wayne?"

The Duke:

"Why thank you ...I'll take it black".....

The Lt. Commander turned to me and said:....

"Petty Officer fetch Mr. Wayne a cup of coffee!....

I started to turn to fetch the coffee and The Duke Barked:

"HOLD FAST PETTY OFFICER I AM NOT DONE WITH YOU!....

The Duke then turned to the Lt. Commander and said:

"Commander I was having a conversation with the Petty Officer when you interrupted our conversation and you kindly offered me a cup of coffee to witch I excepted....I have not finished my conversation with the Petty Officer....You offered the coffee you fetch it and wail your at it bring the Petty Officer a cup too...he will also take it black!"

That was the best damn cup of coffee I have ever drank in my life....and that Lt. Commander...If looks could kill I would have been dead 100 times over...he hated me and tried like hell to make me pay.....but that was OK....I had coffee with The Duke!

I don't care who you are that's awesome.

I had read a short bio of John Wayne, I will have to see if I can find it. In it, his baldness and toupee were discussed, and the bio indicated that he wasn't shy about it, and that he considered the toupee to be more a tool of the acting trade. Included were some pictures of him on a yacht with friends and lifting weights, all without the toupee.

I don't care who you are that's awesome.

+1.... woulda paid to see it!

In the movie North to Alaska in a fight scene he jerks his head back after a pop in the chin and you can see the toup flap back towards the back of his head..He had a runway fit for horse flys to land on.. :rolleyes:

"I WOULDN'T SAY THAT TO OFTEN,AND ONCE MORE WOULD BE TO OFTEN!

OHHH NATIN,YOU COME ME,WE GET DRUNK TOGETTER,HUNT BUFFLO~~~

GOOD FIGHT, NO WHISKEY, WE GO HOME.

I know some shooters in the Northeast region that can use that hair piece.

Jingles Jerr

Plug

Snake Eye Skulker

Dice

Me

Punch

Cheyene Ed

Oh hell we can all bid on it together and alternate wearing it.

Happy New Year Pards

Hud McCoy :rolleyes:

I have just heard this, and now my whole day is ruined. "I just don't think I can bear it" and may not enjoy True Grit. OH MY, what will they divulge next?????????????Was he a true friend of Rock Hudson????????

I have just heard this, and now my whole day is ruined. "I just don't think I can bear it" and may not enjoy True Grit. OH MY, what will they divulge next?????????????Was he a true friend of Rock Hudson????????

Dont think tha Duke took ta girly men much :rolleyes:

Archived