SASS Wire Forum

I thought I got rooked by somebody! FINAL UPDATE

I thought I bought a gun, Marlin '94 rifle, from a feller here on the Classifieds. That was on Nov. 27, sent him the money on Nov. 30. He said he took the gun to his dealer to ship it. Now here it is, Dec. 22 and still no gun. I have his name, address and phone number. I have sent several PMs, left messages on his phone and sent emails. No response. I guess my next move is to contact the police in his town and file a report of fraud. I hate to do this, but I don't know what else to do. I have the receipt for the USPS money order and I will check tomorrow to see if it's been cashed. I don't want anyone else to get taken by this guy. Do I post his name on here to let others know not to deal with him? His info says he joined the Wire in 2003 and his badge number is in the 50,000 range.

For the record, I have bought and sold many items on the Wire and everyone has been true to their word and I have nothing but praise for the people I have dealt with.

UPDATE___ The gentleman called, he is a trucker and doesn't check his computer unless he's home. Can't hear his phone while he's driving. Anyway, he called the dealer where he took the gun to have it shipped. THEY STILL HAVEN'T SHIPPED IT! What did Charlie Brown say when that girl kept pulling the football away when he tried to kick it? AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! Real nice guy BTW.

Also, that Postal Service money order process is very frustrating. The only way to check if a M.O. has been cashed is to go to post office, obtain form 6401 (I ain't jokin') fill it out, PAY A FEE, and wait for them to "investigate". Process may take up to 60 days, I was told

Good grief Charlie Brown.

Pards, I can't thank you enough for all the offers to help. You are the best! Hopefully my story has a happy ending soon.

24 inch oct barrel.This was backup rifle and has never been in gun cart.work done by Rusty Marlin,trigger Happy Kit,one piece firing pin,lever wrap and I put in 7 hammer spring.No box or papers and one small dent on buttstock right side[safe dent] Rifle set up to run 38s

Dont have pics so 3 day inspection applies. 625 shipped ffl to ffl

[spf] JPC

Here is the original ad he posted.

I haven't seen anything else he's posted. After our transaction it's like he fell off the map. He sent me a PM on Nov. 27 where to send the funds and gave his address and phone number. His phone rings and I can leave a message but there's been no response to several messages I've left. If he was concerned why not call me back?

Think you been had. BUT.... You could try contacting any clubs in his area and see if they know him. I remember something like this happening before and once the name was posted, several people reported that the individual was in the hospital and shortly thereafter the transaction took place.

While it's true there is a bad apple slips in here once in a while, there IS the possibility it is an honest mistake..I once sold a Pard a Sharps rifle through the classifieds, he sent me the $$, I boxed the rifle up and took it to my FFL guy to ship to his..About a week or more went by and he contacted me, rather upset, that he was still had not got his rifle..I went to my FFL to inquire, and the rifle was still sitting in their store! it seems the box I had used was "Not acceptable" by UPS standards (UPS is APITA when it comes to firearms) Anyhoo, the dealer was waiting "To get something coming into the store with a box they could use"..I went and got some brown wrapping paper and packing tape, "fixed" the box, and saw to it personally it got shipped off..My point is, stuff happens..There was a Pard on here a while back that had a similar scenario, and it turned out the seller had to go into the hospital unexpectedly..And the seller eventually made things right.

Has the check or money order been cashed? I would try everything I could before I called the Police, but sometimes that is the only recourse one has left..

Something else I always do when ordering something from afar is to send a Postal money order..That way if I get snookered I can sic the feds on 'em! :P

Something else I always do when ordering something from afar is to send a Postal money order..That way if I get snookered I can sic the feds on 'em! :P

This is what I was gonna point out. A cashed USPS MO gets the Postal Inspectors involved. It becomes mail fraud and a whole bunch of other nasty stuff. Someone should wake this guy up if they know him.

He's not listed on the feedback forum, hope everything works out for you, been there myself, but it turned out ok, just took longer than it should have, with the holidays and all the shipping, that could be the problem, quite a few packages being ship these days so hopefully that is the problem, surprised he hasn't contacted you in pm's or returned phone calls, that is the part that would worry me, like some said he could be in the hospital or some family problems

All for now JD Trampas

Howdy Doc,

If you know who the dealer is, you might want to check with him. Sometimes dealers get a bit lazy when they are supposed to send out firearms (it isn't a high priority item for some due to the lack of funds involved for them). Once the gun gets set back into the safe when it doesn't go out on time, it can get lost in the shop. Just a thought.

Bystander

Doc, tell him he can get an Acer One notebook (mini Laptop) @ Walmart for $250.00. It has wifi & a webcam built in. He can email & use the net from just about anywhere. Truck stops & motels and rest areas have free wifi. I have one & I love it. I take it with me when we travel & I even use it to make motel reservations while on the road. The whole thing weighs a little over a pound. Down side is that the battery that comes with it is only good for 2 hrs. But for a few bucks you can get a battery that lasts for 11 hours before recharging.

8 or 10 years ago, I swapped a feller a like new Uberti 32-20 for same in 44-40. I shipped the gun, got confirmation that the dealer received the gun, and waited for my 44wcf. 2 weeks later, still no gun. I contacted the pard I did business with and he loves the 32wcf, but could not understand why I had not got my gun. He contacted the dealer and OH! golly, he forgot to ship it. Ya, it happens.

Had a feller buy a Savage 223 from me in LA. I had just had surgery so I paid my dealer the transfer fee(no extra to the buyer) to ship it for me. 2 weeks later the feller wants his rifle. Told him that it was shipped and the dealer had signed for it. Dealer called me a liar. I called the post office and got the name of the lady who signed for the rifle, called the dealer, and told them since I had the name and signature of the lady who signed for the rifle, I would contact the ATF. Jimmany crickets, lo and behol, they found it. Gee, how about that.

All goes to show that the pard you deal with, here on the wire, is generally not at fault.

Glad you got the deal straightened out and Merry Christmas.

All goes to show that the pard you deal with, here on the wire, is generally not at fault.

+1

Wal-Mart money orders cost 60 cents for any amount and can be tracked online...

Fraud is fraud. If you have proof that it was cashed and have not received your merchandise, you have a case.

Thanks J-Bar. He just called again this morning to let me know that his dealer has sent the gun. I know it's not his fault. I was just getting worried because I hadn't heard from anyone about what was going on.

One thing I wonder about. A lot of people want you to pay them with a USPS money order. After finding out the hoops you have to jump through to find out if it's been cashed, a Wal-mart money order sounds a lot better.

Been ill maybe?

Call his local PO-PO and have'em "check the welfare". Tell'em your a friend of the family etc. and haven't heard from him in some time..........NOT a total lie, REALLY :FlagAm:

Good luck,

LG

Unless you are a gang banging street thug we are the POLICE not the Po Po

This is what I was gonna point out. A cashed USPS MO gets the Postal Inspectors involved. It becomes mail fraud and a whole bunch of other nasty stuff. Someone should wake this guy up if they know him.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but I found out the hard way, that ain't necessarily so. I got stiffed for well over $400 dollars on a bullet deal from and alleged Cowboy. Bullets were paid for with a Postal Money Order for the reasons mentioned above. When I went to the Post Master I was told for $5.00 they could tell me who cashed the money order so if I needed the info for a court case, that's all they could or would do.

I still want a Postal Money Order for anything I sale (if high dollar) because I can cash it at the Post Office, but I've learned there is no protection involved if you're buying something.

Randy

Thanks J-Bar. He just called again this morning to let me know that his dealer has sent the gun. I know it's not his fault. I was just getting worried because I hadn't heard from anyone about what was going on.

One thing I wonder about. A lot of people want you to pay them with a USPS money order. After finding out the hoops you have to jump through to find out if it's been cashed, a Wal-mart money order sounds a lot better.

Doc, aint my bizness but mabe you cud think bout changin the title to your thread since the Pard obviously did'nt "rook ya" :FlagAm:

Hi Doc

After I called you I went back to gun shop to see what day rifle was shipped but he and his son had left to go bring his wife home from hospital for christmas.His wife is still partly parlized and doc wouldnt let her go home unless he could get handycapped type vehicle to take her home,He couldnt find one to rent but he did find a used conversion van all set up for $1500,needed tires and high milage but he said it ran good and he would get her home!! His place was real busy with all the reletives there waiting and his grand kids were having a ball getting crickets and other bait for customers{I think half the crickets are jumping around the floor looking for new home}lol

I decided to stay away from all the people there and let them have their time with family and I have monday off so Ill go then to find out when rifle was shipped and give you a call .

Thanks again and Im sorry for delay.

P.S. I put orginal marlin parts in bag and One dummy round so you would know what lenght to set at.

Money Orders are over-rated, I usually just ask for checks. Looks like it will work out for you, the guy sounds OK.

Unless you are a gang banging street thug we are the POLICE not the Po Po

I know well about "gang banging street thug(s)". It was MY JOB to put them in jail........AS A COP :blush:

Light'en up will ya? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

LG

Archived