SASS Wire Forum

Decrease in Number of Hunters

Dusty Morningwood

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid...f8-022fd8aba746

But before anyone starts screaming about "liberals" or "environmentalists" or "PETA" or any of the other boogie men, look in the mirror first. Then at your friends. And THEN at others who are opposed to hunting. Also think about the ideals that allow the destruction of wildlife habitat for whatever reason. And as we decry kids sitting in front of a computer instead of going outside, what are we doing right now? And me? Guilty as charged. But I hope to rehabilitate myself.

Most of the lands we hunted when we were younger are now posted. Many roads that had one or two houses per mile now have a house every 500 ft or so (the 50 mile each way communter having bought his 3 acres of paradise), and access to the back sides of those properties has been cut off as "city folk" moved in and brought their notions of land use and guns with them. It's real, as is the 90 minute commute that stops folks from making a late afternoon or early morning watch before or after work, a thing their fathers did when work was much closer, and you could simply walk into the woods in most any part of our county.... The number of active farms and active lumber operations, lands that used to NOT be posted, and were freely open to access are severely diminished. Real estate lawyers tell new oenwers to post their lands to prevent liability, and others post em to prevent DESTRUCTIVE use by ATVs and snowmobiles, but prevent all access as a matter of course in the process.

Couple all of that with the issues of folks of all ages haivng more choics for their liesure time, and yes, there are fewer hunters.

My grandfather grew up in the country, but never hunted. My father grew up in the country, but rarely hunted and even then it was only squirrels. My brithers and I all grew up in the country and hunted. Now only a couple of us still hunt. I quit when I discovered CAS. I've got four children and none hunt.

I don't know what any of this means...

This subject has been on my mine for some time. I'm 68 years old, and in my youth, hunting was the holy grail. As a native Texan, my family gathered together yearly for the hunting seasons.

At one time in history, a Hunting & Fishing Lisence (about $10) was all you needed to hunt. There was a lot of open land.

That has all changed in Texas. Hunting in Texas is big business. We all know what this means. Only the well-

to-do has access to prime hunting.

TDWL (Texas Department of Wild Life) has done their part by:

Rising cost with stamps (fees) for everything that walks, crawls, flies, or swims.

new laws and regulations (more expense for the average family) for "safety".

Public lands open only to foot traffic.

Type II lands for a fee (leased land from property owners) with little or no game.

Escalated administrative costs with no end in site.

Higher registration fees for any thing that moves.

Manatory hunting course for every one born after 1973. (for safety)(my family taught me).

And people wonder why hunting is down?

Ghost

As a boy, I loved to hunt bobwhite with my Dad. He knew everyone and had permission to "trespass". We especially chased the three covies that inhabited the 17 surviving acres we owned back and forth.

Now he is old and I know no-one to even ask permission. The 17 acres is long sold off.

Folks want $250 a day to hunt bobwhite around these parts these days. I can't afford it. Hunting in Texas has become a rich man's game.

There is pitifully little public hunting in Texas.

I hate it and it's a durn shame but that's just how it is nowadays.

Habit destruction is the biggest problem I see, after posted and leased lands... Here in Nebraska almost every water way is now mowed in summer, so farmer can use it for hay, not profitable land before that upland game used to nest and raise their young. Our upland game populations have nose dived to lowest records ever. Me, I'm sitting here at the computer instead of taking my bird dogs hunting right now...

I take as many deer as allowed, four this year. I let my friends hunt my land too. I have more deer than needs to be in this small area, and more every year. They are in tighter areas and in bigger numbers than ever before, but smaller animals. What I can't eat or give to non-hunting friends goes to local charities to feed homeless, etc... Land I bought in the past to develop is no longer viable to develop. We hunt on it and make good use of the deer we take. we do it legal too.

An annual hunting license is $25.50/year. An extra $10.50 to fish. I also fish a fair bit and eat what I don't release. I feel like I get my money's worth. I enjoy Arkansas living.

Cash

Growing up I didn't have any male relatives that hunted so I didn't start hunting until I was 57 years old and then thanks to the Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA) women's only hunts. TSRA sponsors numerous women's only hunts throughout the year which are reasonably priced especially if they are subsidized by TSRA as they sometimes are.

I can only afford to go once a year due to CAS shooting and being a school teacher. More women are taking up hunting due to TSRA. And guys, why not take your daughter, not just your son, hunting. The nicest thing I've heard lately was at the gun range before opening day when a guy was telling his friend how excited he was to be taking his daughter on her first hunt.

My students and the staff at school know I hunt, and I don't try to hide it. I tell my students when I'm going and try to teach them that "hunting" and guns are not bad versus killing people in robberies. I share my wonderful hunting experiences and pictures when I return to school and hope I've made a positive impression on them.

If you're a Texan, join TSRA and get your wife and daughter involved too. Maybe then the numbers of hunters will stop decreasing and begin to increase.

Read the article and found it to very informative, thanks for bringing it to our attention. I started actively hunting for big game and birds, etc, in 1976. My son started hunting and camping with me at the age of 5, today he is now 35. We have enjoyed a lot of seasons hunting together, a lot of great memories to gather from time to time for certain. For quite a number of years I was very active in wetland conservation with Ducks Unlimited. I was an Area and Dinner Chairman for 6 years, State Sponsor Committeee Member, National Deligate, as well as a Life Member. I won my Black Lab (Lucky Boy Boone) in a DU auction who became my once in a lifetime dog and best friend for 13 memorable years. He was my son's and my duck dog trained completely on hand signals and whistles. I guess with the outdoors experience I exposed my son to is more than likely why he chose to make his home in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. He is now working on his 5th Elk, last year taking his 4th with a bow. Yep, this year's bow hunt just didn't produce his 5th Elk, even with 7 days on horseback. I'm sure most of us all spend a considerable amount of time on the computer, myself included and my son included. I am happy though that my son has found a great love for America, wildlife and the outdoors now deep in his heart. This last summer my son, my 2 year old grandson and myself took an all day drive into the Flattops to scout for deer, bear and elk. As we were traveling down a dirt road my grandson who had just turned 2 years old shouted out from his car seat as clear as day "I see that deer, I see that deer, on the mountain hiding behind the tree". Not only was I astonished to hear this and so clearly spoken I know that my son was already passing on what I thought was so valuable during his young years. Now either my granson has a set of eagle eyes or he was just pullin' our leg as the mountain was a considerable distance away. :blush:

Roy

When I was a kid, you could pretty much hunt anywhere you found woods. I lived near the RR tracks and we would walk the tracks and hunt any place along the tracks we wanted. We would even walk as far as we could in a days time with time left to set up camp and stay for 2 or 3 days and hunt the area. This was when I was 11 or 12 years old. Could you imagine parents now letting a group of 12 year olds head out for 3 days with shotguns, .22's and pellet guns? Now in Alabama you have to have written permission to be on any land that does not belong to you even if the land owner doesn't care. I own 10 acres that was cut for pasture land when I got it. I'm trying to let some of it grow back natural. Wildlife has increased significantly since we've been there (5 years). The person that controls the surrounding land Probably 120 acres) will not give any one permission to hunt it. Only his teen age son is allowed. I purchase a hunting license every year even though you don't need it on your own land. It is getting harder to find any place to hunt that doesn't charge a day fee. I won a free hog hunt in Texas at one of the major hunting ranches there. By the time I figured out the cost of what was not covered, it was going to cost over $1400 for a 3 day hunt. If Texas has such a problem with hogs, they should offer an out of state hog license at a reduced fee and make public land available or have a registry for land owners that were willing to let people hunt hogs.

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, hiking and camping, but I've never hunted. Never knew anybody that did when I was younger. Since I've started shooting I've been interested in learning to hunt, so maybe next year I'll give it a try if I can find someone to show me the ropes.

Lack of public land is pretty much the smoking gun for me. Last big game hunt I went on I managed to trespass while riding into the camp. The lady that busted me followed me in her truck with a camcorder and then took it to a judge. I knew the road I was using belonged to her so I was off in the sticks with my horses and getting all stratched up. I was sure I was clear of her property but evidently I was not. She hated hunters, refused to let anyone hunt or even transit her property. That is fine and her right but ended my interest in hunting that area.

Since then I just haven't found a place to hunt the way I want. I don't want a guide, my dad taught me how to set up camp and find game, and I don't want to pay for that service. I don't want to use a bow or a shotgun with slugs because I am too close to houses. I certainly don't want to hunt something that is fenced in and lives on feed. I just want to pack into a camp with horses and pitch a tent or maybe pull a trailer up into the mountains and be on my own.

Luckily small game and pheasents are still a possibility a few times a year. The family farm land provides that at least.

I've got my doe hanging and just bought two more tags this morning. Two to go, allowed five here. We harvest more deer on bumpers than with guns. Nightly I hear "10-47 deer vs car" on the scanner. Once air bag is deployed it's pretty much wrecker time. Birds are good here yet and so are the deer. Come on over. DS 40 Ranch.

I hunted a lot in my youth, but not so much as I grew up. I have thought many times about getting back into hunting, and being able to teach my sons the lessons I was taught while hunting. The problem for me is that once upon a time you could donate your animal to charity, but I can’t find anyone that does that now. I personally lost the taste for deer I would like to have a little, but it seems a waste of a good animal for what little I would like to keep.

I have noticed also that the deer population around here has boomed from lack of hunting. One thing I would suggest to the powers that be is to open up the national park for deer season. A lot of people disagree with that, but I can tell you from growing up bordered to it that it holds a lot of deer during season. The other major issue is development of the 3 places I hunted the most growing up only one is left wooded, and that is behind my Moms house.

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, hiking and camping, but I've never hunted. Never knew anybody that did when I was younger. Since I've started shooting I've been interested in learning to hunt, so maybe next year I'll give it a try if I can find someone to show me the ropes.

Glad to see some good posts. Dirty Chris needs someone from his neck of the woods to step up and help him out. I have myself moved numerous times in the past two decades for work and I find it very difficult to get invited to go hunting. So I generally go alone, if I get the time. So in some ways we are our own worst enemies: we are so closed with our "secret places" that we allow nobody else in. So then maybe they get bored and stop hunting? What have we accomplished?

There are many other contributing factors too, hell when I was a kid in school, we could take off the first day of deer season (some of the teachers didn't even show up), and we could take off 1 day of the opening week of upland bird season. When I first started working after college, our company scheduled all meetings between 10 and 3, so people had the choice to either hunt the morning, come in late, and stay late, or come in early early and leave to hunt before dark. During our rifle deer season at my 2nd job, several of us made arrangements to only work daylight hours on 2 days a week so we could hunt all day and work in the evenings.

In today's society, with the competitive business market, companies are spoiled by having people so desperate for a job that they'll give up vacation time, kid's soccer games, hunting seasons, benefits, salary cuts, etc etc. Bedroom communities used to be inhabited by only the super elite personnel within a company, while today, even non-managers will make the sacrifice, giving up family time during the week and paying the extra room rent to work too far from home to justify the commute.

Naturally, urban sprawl is affecting hunting rates in some areas, but the corporate environment has also changed. I'm very blessed to work from my home with very flexible hours, so 90% of my schedule is by my design, but it was a no-brainer to give up my rifle deer season this year to travel to a few meetings.

There's nothing new about this trend though. The rural lifestyle is dwindling and each generation is ranking further and further into the urban/suburban culture. I used to hear my grandpa tell stories about how his dad (my great grandpa) complained about the kids not wanting to be farmers, and I heard the same thing from my grandpa, and the same thing from my dad. With the coming of every generation, less and less sons choose the footsteps of their fathers. I grew up 40min to the nearest grocery store, in an area that didn't have access to cable or satelite TV, and cell phones were something we only saw in movies, let alone having service in our area. Today, my mom is still living on the home place, with high speel DSL and satelite TV, and solid cell phone reception. When I was a kid, I'd go work horses or shoot beer cans in the back yard in the evenings after school because that's what we did. One of my relatives sons, 14 now, lives in a very similar area to my homeplace, but now a generation later, he spends his evenings playing video games or doing homework on the internet. My uncle was a world finalist bull rider, but I'm fairly certain his son (my age) doesn't even own a pair of cowboyboots, and my uncles granddaughters only ride a horse when they come to his house.

And it's NOT necessarily the younger generations fault. Fathers always want better for their sons than what they had growing up. Since it's christmas time, this story is all too fitting... My grandfather told stories about his father making most of their childhood christmas presents by hand, so it was a proud day when he was able to BUY presents for my dad and uncles. My DAD, on the other hand, told stories that on one christmas, my grandfather got my oldest uncle a hotwheels track, and he got cars for the two younger brother, so they'd have a toy they could all use together, and that was all that the family could afford. Of course, my dad was proud that our family made enough so didn't have to split a present in half for my sister and I.

My father made much of his living by swinging a hammer, or riding a horse. He didn't want me to have to work that hard for so little, so he made sure I'd have the $ to go to college. And now, the "better life" that he wanted for me, sees me living in the suburbs and visiting my horse pastures to feed in the evenings, instead of riding every day and having the horses just off the back yard.

I hunted as a 10 year old by myself with an old .22

Did not start hunting deer until I was about 26. Have made up for that by now have a little hunting house next to game management land in

SC

Am 70 years and my hunting friend are still out there from August till January 1 every year.

And Cowboy shooting is there also.

See Ya in the woods or at the range

Have my own cowboy range and store front in the backyard.

CCBA :blush:

I've hunted more this year than tha last several. I pay around 900.00 a year on a 1300 acre lease thats about 5 mi from home. High yes! Worth it? Widout a doubt its worth it just for tha quiet.

I wish Drity Chris lived closer, not only would I show him tha ropes but would teach him ta tie the knot as well.

Daddy never hunted, my brother and myself always have.

I remember when Fish an game would take your gun an truck for killin a Doe, now they beg you to. We can take 6 here.

RRR

Hunting is down here a lot this year, mostly due to the DNR's ban on baiting, a long recognised and respected method of drawing deer of the posted private lands onto state forest.

At least, that's the reason given to me by the ones I've talked to for not hunting this year.

More private land posted, declining deer herds, faltering econimy, less intrest by youth, all these things go together to explain why we had less than 50% of the number of hunters this year that we had only 4 or 5 years ago. Local business' are going to be hurting this winter, after the poor income of deer season.

I've talked to several people that used to hunt, and the two most often given reasons are the baiting ban, and declining deer herds.

Greeenriver

I can tell you in northern Iowa there were less hunting license issued this season. Year after year the weather had been terrible, this year was the worst. Bad weather and what seems like 1000s of dnr regulations have finally made some say forget it. We are also seeing a small deer population due to the harsh winters.

I am going in the morning.4 or so hour drive but I get to spend time with one of my sons. That has been the only reason I had a deer lease while the kids were growning up is to spend time with them. Yes we love the deer meat but I never cared if I killed one or not. After you have shot deer with a six-gun and deer with a bow the the rifle hunting was not much fun.I am 67 and have gone hunting every year from the first time at age 8.Love the woods,I am carrying my 92 and 357 hollow points for this hunt. Head shots only.If I get a shot ok if not ok.

There are more city folk and less country folk than there used to be. I'm city. I grew up in the suburbs and still live there. Never been hunting, though I have nothing against it. Its something that I've always said I'd like to try, but I never have. I like several types of game meat, deer, elk, wild pig, even bear, though its a little too greasy. I'm lazy and spoiled and freely admit it. Climbing a tree and freezing my butt off (or doing anything else outdoors in the winter) while waiting for a deer to come by is not my idea of fun. I know of no one that hunts any closer than a 2 hour drive away. Most people have hectic lives these days, with little or no time to hunt. Hunting land is scarce or too far away to make a day trip viable without getting up at 3 in the morning so you can drive to the hunting land and still have time to unload the car/truck, get your gear ready and then hike to your favorite spot and get up the tree by daylight. As for kids, well, I do believe the vast majority would rather sleep late and then spend the rest of the day playing video games and texting their friends than spending time in the woods. If I had my own land with a house in the country and could set blinds all around so that I could just walk out the back door and go to one on a halfway warm day, then I'd probably hunt, but its too much of a hassle for me the way things are now.

Most of the 'good land' posted and owned by'flat landers' and no deer.

Hunting is on the down swing here in Maine.

Dept. of Fish & wildlife charging too much to attract the outt'a staters.

Go to SAM's web site to find out more.

:mellow:

My dad grew up hunting. But, it was a chore that befell him as the youngest of 9 (5 boys) when he was still young to work the farm. He viewed hunting as a chore. And as an adult, any discussion of hunting was about how much of a "chore" it was. About whippin's for missin' and wasted ammo. He never discouraged my desires, but never provided some of the necessary assistance a young man needs in learning to hunt. Might not be reflective of the pre-WWII generations, but maybe not a singular instance either... those attitudes don't generally die off in one generation.

In my own case, the cost of hunting in TX has curtailed some of my eagerness. And, THAT ain't all that uncommon. Cost of hunting ain't kept pace with other costs of living... it's grown exponentially more expensive in just the last 20 years! Loss of habitat and space are also contributing factors.

Im hunting again this year. I have hunted every season since I was around 7 years old. My Dad and my GrandMother got me started on small game, my brother started me later on deer. My wife, who was not a hunter when we got married, hunts almost as much as I do every year now. My daughters, 20 7 17 both still go with me a few times every year.

Having family land does make it a lot easier, a lil over 100 acres less than 10 minute drive. But, also have been in several hunting clubs around this area.

I've harvested deer, antelope, birds, and small game since I was 10-11 yrs old. I don't consider shooting deer and antelope with a rifle hunting, it's killing. I still do it for the meat. Hopefully in the next few years I can dust off the bow and hunt again. My antelope "hunt" lasted about 2 minutes this year, got out of the truck on the ranch road, walked about 50 yards and blasted a buck with my 308. Just not as exciting as it used to be. Our 21 year old is now showing interest in large game. He and his buddy came up and took a couple antelope, next year they want to go after elk. Maybe I can find some excitement helping out the kids. I would like to take an antelope with a handgun.

LL'

I've got my doe hanging and just bought two more tags this morning. Two to go, allowed five here. We harvest more deer on bumpers than with guns. Nightly I hear "10-47 deer vs car" on the scanner. Once air bag is deployed it's pretty much wrecker time. Birds are good here yet and so are the deer. Come on over. DS 40 Ranch.

Is that a for sure invite G.P.? Perhaps we can work somethig out. I have a little land in Nebraska that has a few pheasants and whitetail. I live in Colorado and know my way around some Natl. Forest land and occasionaly make conection with some land owners.

I have not been out in several years due to working overseas etc. but figure it is high time I get back out into the hunting grounds.

Haven't killed a deer in 20 years, I no longer eat red meat and have no reason to kill a deer. I hate the sit by the road with my gun and run a pack of dog hunters. Term used lightly. I love to shoot, and fish.

Sam :mellow:

Haven't kill-ed a deer in 20 years, I no longer eat red meat and have no reason to kill a deer. I hate the sit by the road with my gun and run a pack of dog hunters. Term used lightly. I love to shoot, and fish.

Sam :mellow:

Is that a for sure invite G.P.? Perhaps we can work somethig out. I have a little land in Nebraska that has a few pheasants and whitetail. I live in Colorado and know my way around some Natl. Forest land and occasionaly make conection with some land owners.

I have not been out in several years due to working overseas etc. but figure it is high time I get back out into the hunting grounds.

----------------

Yea come on out, next deer is Jan 1-9. I also have land in NE, good birds deer and coyote I'm told..........

Am now in my 60's. In my twenties and thirties I could field dress a buck and drag it out. Have two stents in heart now and wonder if I could do it. Also used to pheasant/rabbit hunt and walk around for endless hours hunting. Great exercise. Hmmm- Remember frigid crow hunting too but I used to not eat crow. Guess I should buy a handgun deer permit and go for a big hike or sit in the tree all day again. BRRRR! The shotgun was heavy in my arms all day long when I was younger. Wonder if'n I still could do it?

I think it's a multi issue problem. Here in central Indiana many former hunting areas are now housing editions or 5 acre plots marked "No Hunting". DNR license fee's and a long list of prohibitive rules also add to the mix (example, rifle hunters may only use pistol calibers, plus Indiana strongly favors the bow hunter, allowing them to pretty much hunt from October to January, and many Fish & Wildlife areas don't allow Doe harvesting), then you add the ultra inflated prices of weapons, scopes and ammo these days and you have our current situation. Surpisingly though Indiana had a record 133,000 Deer taken in 2009, and I understand Ohio was pushing 300,000!

BSD

I hunted a lot in my youth, but not so much as I grew up. I have thought many times about getting back into hunting, and being able to teach my sons the lessons I was taught while hunting. The problem for me is that once upon a time you could donate your animal to charity, but I can’t find anyone that does that now. I personally lost the taste for deer I would like to have a little, but it seems a waste of a good animal for what little I would like to keep.

I have noticed also that the deer population around here has boomed from lack of hunting. One thing I would suggest to the powers that be is to open up the national park for deer season. A lot of people disagree with that, but I can tell you from growing up bordered to it that it holds a lot of deer during season. The other major issue is development of the 3 places I hunted the most growing up only one is left wooded, and that is behind my Moms house.

Check out http://huntersforhungry.org/

You guys have done an excellent job of hitting the nails on the heads. In a study I did when working for NSSF, I and my research partner Paul Erhardt identified the "mega-trends" leading to the decline of hunting:

1) Suburbanization/urbanization

2) increased competition for declining leisure time

3) Liability issues

#3 requires a bit of explanation...private land gets posted because of legitimate fears of lawsuits. I bought 35 acres a while back and my lawyer made a compelling case to post it, which I did. bTW, miscreants tore down the signs and removed fences to access the property. Sigh.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Archived