SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. It did sound a bit like Kjelgaard; that was my initial thought when I first read your opening post. However! When I was a Boy Scout back in the early-mid 60's, we had no fancy modern camping gear. Many times we'd set out hiking to a camping spot carrying sacks or, if we were lucky, using old Army knapsacks - even canvas radio bags. AND there was a small cast iron skillet that fit my pack. I remember a couple time having a canned ham on board!
  3. My pardner gave me a muzzleloader pistol and I don't have any experience with blackpowder. It's a Jukar from Spain if that helps, believe it's .45 caliber as the .440 lead balls I've got roll right down the tube but don't rattle around. If I patch them and load them over 25 grains of FFFG equivalent pyrodex should I be okay? Any advice that keeps me from losing an eye would be greatly appreciated!
  4. Everyone should audit the RO classes every couple of years in order to remain informed and current on the rules.
  5. here ya go, Pietta in 44- 40 or 45 :-) or https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/colt-revolvers-single-action-army-1st-gen/colt-saa-quot-u-s-cavalry-quot-45-colt.cfm?gun_id=101201684 https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/colt-revolvers-single-action-army-1st-gen/colt-saa-3353-u-s-calvary-ainsworth-quot-1873-quot-.cfm?gun_id=101187377 https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/colt-revolvers-single-action-army-1st-gen/u-s-cavalry-colt-single-action-army-d-f-c-inspected-in-original-as-issued-condition.cfm?gun_id=101162312 https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/colt-revolvers-single-action-army-1st-gen/colt-saa-u-s-1891-mfg-in-80-rare-original-condition-all-matching-with-bright-bore.cfm?gun_id=101155811 by comparison really nice commercial guns are going to a lot less $ https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/colt-revolvers-single-action-army-1st-gen/colt-single-action-army-blue-45-l-c-7-1-2-quot-barrel-1st-generation-w-factory-letter-black-powder-frame-mfg-1883.cfm?gun_id=101232796
  6. It will emulate an older male, does not hear female voices.
  7. Just finished Sail. At the end of it there is a list of everyone mentioned in the book. And we find this: Jesse F. Bone, DVM--he saved a kitten
  8. Shifty- try the flat semi-wadcutter/wadcutter seating stem. Worked fine for me with the RNFP bullet I used in my .38 lever actions. the only contact is the flat face of the seater to the flat point ( hah!) of the bullet nose.
  9. Absolutely. 8400 CUP is the lowest I've seen as well, and I've not seen any commercial bullets at BHN=5.8. Which goes to show why ultra light loads that don't have any bullets matching that low BHN can be problematic. The way I understand it, this low CUP is not sufficient to properly obturate the bullet. The lowest bullet BHN I've found (so far) is the Desperado at BHN=9, or 12,960 CUP. Missouri Bullets are BHN=12 or CUP=16,800. There is a Hodgdon Clays load for 125gr 38SP that matches this BHN and is one I want to try. Conversely, BHN=24 is CUP=34,560 which is midway in Lyman's 357 Magnum loads. These are Oregon Trail laser casts and appear to be well suited for magnum pressures.
  10. My heart goes out to you and her brothers and sisters in arms. Her children and blood family. This is is becoming a real epidemic for us.
  11. Several years ago, at a Baccalaureate service at the Air Force Academy, I was honored to present a ceremonial religious article to a young woman who would be graduating a few days hence, and being commissioned 2LT. I asked where she was going on her first assignment. She replied she was assigned to Joint Base Hickam-Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, as an intelligence officer. I said I thought that would be a nice assignment. A year later, she volunteered to go to Afghanistan. She was riding in a vehicle with a LTC, when an IED killed both of them. Although I didn't know her, other than the few minutes I spent with her, I think of her every Memorial Day. May she RIP. | | | |
  12. While I didn't really want to serve; because. my generation felt the Vietnam conflict wasn't in the country's best interest; I served because, it was my duty as an American to serve when called. I thank God that I wasn't injured physically or psychologically by my 11 months on the ground in Vietnam. Even my John Birch Society supporting grandfather advised me not to enroll in NROTC classes at UCB when I had been stating I wanted to do it. My dad was a WWII motor machinist mate assigned to landing craft in the Pacific; so, I had an affinity for Naval service. After the BSA I was a member of the Sea Cadets at Treasure Island. I am so grateful for the acknowledgement of my fellow Americans for Veterans' service including merchant mariners during WWII.
  13. "Where are yer legs that used to run, when first you went to carry a gun? Ah, Johnny we hardly knew ya! "Yer an eyeless, boneless, chickenless egg, An' you'll have to be put with a bowl to beg! Ah, Johnny we hardly knew ya!" To the tune of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again, Hurrah, Hurrah!"
  14. He was a New Mexico State Senator not Federal.
  15. Now when I was a young man, I carried me pack And I lived the free life of the rover From the Murray's green basin to the dusty outback Well, I waltzed my Matilda all over Then in 1915, my country said "son It's time you stopped rambling, there's work to be done" So they gave me a tin hat, and they gave me a gun And they marched me away to the war And the band played Waltzing Matilda As the ship pulled away from the quay And amidst all the cheers, the flag-waving and tears We sailed off for Gallipoli And how well I remember that terrible day How our blood stained the sand and the water And of how in that hell that they called Suvla Bay We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter Johnny Turk, he was waiting, he'd primed himself well He showered us with bullets and he rained us with shell And in five minutes flat, he'd blown us all to hell Nearly blew us right back to Australia But the band played Waltzing Matilda When we stopped to bury our slain We buried ours, and the Turks buried theirs Then we started all over again And those that were left, well we tried to survive In that mad world of blood, death and fire And for ten weary weeks, I kept myself alive Though around me the corpses piled higher Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over head And when I woke up in me hospital bed And saw what it had done, andl I wished I was dead Never knew there was worse things than dyin' And I'll go no more waltzing Matilda All through the green bush far and free To hump tent and pegs, a man needs both legs No more waltzing Matilda for me They collected the crippled, the wounded, the maimed And they shipped us back home to Australia The legless, the armless, the blind, the insane Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla And as our ship pulled into Circular Quay I looked at the place where me legs used to be And thanked Christ there was nobody waiting for me To mourn and to grieve and to pity But the band played Waltzing Matilda As they carried us down the gangway But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared Then they turned all their faces away And so now every April, I sit on me porch And I watch the parade pass before me And I see my old comrades, how proudly they march Reviving old dreams of past glories But the old men march slowly, old bones stiff and sore They're tired old men from a tired old war And the young people ask, "what are they marching for?" And I ask myself the same question But the band plays Waltzing Matilda And the old men still answer the call But year after year, more old men disappear Someday no one will march there at all
  16. Me too. Fill the case with BP to within about 1/8-1/4 inch of the rim, seat the bullet and give it a hard crimp. No problemo!
  17. A little note about the mayor’s. Statement. Senators must be at least 30.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.