SASS Wire Forum

Stage begins, first five handgun rounds, sweep the 5 handgun targets.  With second five rounds engage the Texas star.  Any plates remaining after the second five handgun rounds may be shot with shotgun.  

Shooter sweeps the five targets with first handgun,  second handgun he sweeps the handgun targets again.  Doesn't knock off any of the plates on the Texas star.

"P... next shooter."  Maybe ask why he didn't engage the Star.  Evaluate answer.  

With all 5 plates still on the star, I would assess 5 misses.

Because those pistol targets NO LONGER were the assigned pistol targets for the 2nd pistol, it would be hard for me

to give a 'P'.

..........Widder

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Any plates remaining after the second five handgun rounds may be shot with shotgun.  

P for failure to clean the remaining targets on star with shotgun..

Because the word "MAY" is in the instructions, it is not required for the shooter to try to make up ANY Texas star misses!  It's just an option offered to the shooter.

After first five rounds are fired, a different target type becomes "active" and the five stationary targets become "inactive".  So, no P for hitting any of them with the second five shots.

So, 5 misses for TS plates not dislodged.  Next.

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

JEB stated that those star targets....."may be shot with shotgun".

The word 'may' constitutes an option for the shooter...... not a requirement.

Atleast that's how I read it.    If it was a requirement, it should have read..... "must be made up with shotgun" or something more 

specific.

EDIT:   GJ is a faster typer than me..... :lol:

..........Widder

Edited by Widder, SASS #59054

Posted (edited)

You have to look at the instructions.

AND 

You have to look at the results.

With 1st five pistol rounds - sweep the 5 pistol targets.

Shooter did that - no issues.

With 2nd five pistol rounds - engage the Texas Star.

Shooter shot at the 5 static pistol targets again.

IF the shooter "missed" all five of these shots (missed meaning NO pistol target was struck; it's immaterial where they might be aiming) - No Call.

(since the stage writer is giving the option to correct Texas Star pistol misses with shotgun - pistol misses on the Star obviously are not counted)

IF the shooter struck "any" of these static pistol targets;

(they are still pistol targets - striking any assigned firearm target with the assigned firearm out of order is a "P")

Assign Procedural.

Shooter has the OPTION to engage any Texas Star plates with shotgun.

So at the END of the stage - assess 1 miss per Texas Star plate that remains.

I am reading this as shooter didn't knock off any Texas Star plates with their pistol - I have no idea if they cleaned it up with shotgun after.

So IF they neglected to clean up with shotgun AND missed every round out of the 2nd five pistol.

5 Misses.

IF they neglected to clean up with shotgun AND struck any static target with their 2nd five pistol.

1 Procedural.

5 Misses.

IF they DID clean up the Star with shotgun

but struck a static target with their 2nd 5 pistol.

1 Procedural

No Misses.

IF they DID clean up the Star with shotgun AND did NOT STRIKE a single static target with their 2nd five pistol.

Clean Shooter.

Next...

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022

Howdy JEDI Creeker.

Question:  once the 1st pistol (5 shots) swept the 5 pistol targets, would it not be considered that those 5 targets

are no longer 'pistol' targets because the 'star' now becomes the appropriate and correct targets for the

next pistol (5 shots).

If so, then a 'P' would not be earned for hitting those pistol targets, because in essence, they are not the pistol targets

for the 2nd pistol.

Whats ya think?

..........Widder

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just my 2cents If he didn't shoot at the death star with his 2nd pistol or attempt to make them up with his shotgun I might assess a spirit of the game. Sounds like he purposely avoided the star with pistol and shotgun.

Edited by Rafe Conager SASS #56958

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy JEDI Creeker.

Question:  once the 1st pistol (5 shots) swept the 5 pistol targets, would it not be considered that those 5 targets

are no longer 'pistol' targets because the 'star' now becomes the appropriate and correct targets for the

next pistol (5 shots).

If so, then a 'P' would not be earned for hitting those pistol targets, because in essence, they are not the pistol targets

for the 2nd pistol.

Whats ya think?

..........Widder

Howdy Widder,

My "feeling" is that a pistol target would remain a pistol target for the duration of the stage.

I acknowledge that the Texas Star is a "different" kind of pistol target - but it remains a pistol target.

• Thanks 1

If the stage instruction included the caveat that any remaining discs on the star would be counted as misses, then, yes, a "P" plus five misses.  Because a target has been shot once, doesn't change it's designation as particular type, unless so stated in the stage instructions.   I.e.: targets designated as R/P.  

8 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Stage begins, first five handgun rounds, sweep the 5 handgun targets.  With second five rounds engage the Texas star.  Any plates remaining after the second five handgun rounds may be shot with shotgun.  

Shooter sweeps the five targets with first handgun,  second handgun he sweeps the handgun targets again. = PROCEDURAL

Doesn't knock off any of the plates on the Texas star. = 5 MISSES

There are TEN designated pistol targets to be engaged in a TEN-shot shooting string.

Shooter engaged & HIT the targets "out of order".

Shooter left FIVE plates remaining on the Texas star.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6