SASS Wire Forum

Anyone here have a CZ 457 or Savage Mk 2?

Like the title says. Do any of you own a CZ 457 or Savage Mk 2, if so, how accurate is your rifle?

I am planning to buy a factory made .22 bolt action for .22 matches at my gun club. My limit is $700. I already have a scope. I am interested in these two series of rifles. 

I am looking for better than .5” at 50 yards. 

Edited by Pat Riot

• Pat Riot changed the title to Anyone here have a CZ 457 or Savage Mk 2?

Howdy Pat.

I own a CZ 457.   Its in .17 HMR w/ their heavy barrel.   It shoots real good.

Slaters owns the .22 and its very accurate.   As with most .22's, even my KIDD models, the ammo will be a BIG

deciding factor in the accuracy you can get.

Ironically, some of the cheaper, bulk stuff shoots darn good .... most of the time.

As with most of the SAVAGE .22's, you get a lot of performance for your money.   You might even get one as accurate as the CZ,

depending upon ammo you use.

I also own the Savage.   Its the 'B' model, which has the better magazine.....in my opinion.

Both have GREAT triggers.   My CZ has an aftermarket trigger that is super sweet.

IF your competition rules allow semi auto .22's, you should also look at KIDD.   Their triggers are about as good as you can find.

..........Widder

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Widder, SASS #59054

It’s supposed to be a friendly competition but I am not sure whether semiauto is not allowed. I actually never asked except when I said “I have a Ruger 10/22.” the guys I was talking to all smiled and said “You will definitely want something better than that.”

I have zero interest in building a gun, but I will look at Kidd. Thank you. 

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Thank you @Widder, SASS #59054

It’s supposed to be a friendly competition but I am not sure whether semiauto is not allowed. I actually never asked except when I said “I have a Ruger 10/22.” the guys I was talking to all smiled and said “You will definitely want something better than that.”

I have zero interest in building a gun, but I will look at Kidd. Thank you. 

Something to remember is that the 10/22 is more modular and much of the work you may be able to do yourself and I'm pretty sure that includes replacing the barrel on the 10/22 which is held in place by Allen bolts

• Like 2

I have two CZ 452's in .22 caliber set up alike......Using Wolf Match ammo, both of my daughters and I can hit the mini chicken silhouette targets ( 2 1/2 ") at 210 yards.   Yes, that's quite a drop at that distance, but CZ is surpassed only by Anschutz in my humble opinion.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gracos Kid said:

I have two CZ 452's in .22 caliber set up alike......Using Wolf Match ammo, both of my daughters and I can hit the mini chicken silhouette targets ( 2 1/2 ") at 210 yards.   Yes, that's quite a drop at that distance, but CZ is surpassed only by Anschutz in my humble opinion.......

I hear a lot of folks saying that Wolf Match ammo is very good. I find that interesting in that other ammo by them, 7.62x39 and pistol calibers isn’t so great, but I am talking 20 or more years ago. 
Thanks for the info. 

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I hear a lot of folks saying that Wolf Match ammo is very good. I find that interesting in that other ammo by them, 7.62x39 and pistol calibers isn’t so great, but I am talking 20 or more years ago. 
Thanks for the info. 

The Wolf steel cased ammo is at best average, it's cheap ammo meant for plinking.

The Wolf .22 LR Match Ammo is pretty good and my re-barreled  Martini Cadet liked Wolf match better than Federal .22 LR (and liked CCI Green Tag even more than Wolf's)

• Like 2

I have a CZ 452 and a Savage MKII. The CZ is a light barrel, the Savage has a heavy barrel. Both are about the same with their preferred ammo , SK standard plus, but the CZ seems to shoot other brands a little better. The thing about Wolf ammo is they don't make any ammo they just import it. Wolf target .22 is made by Lapua who also makes SK standard plus.

• Like 1

I HAD a Savage MKII , light barrel , plastic stock , (Wal-Mart ) it would shoot with almost anything , using the old CCI Blaser bulk pac ammo 

we played a game , shooting busted clay pigeons , on the 100 yd berm , 

set it up with a Simmons 3x9x40 scope 

gave it to the SIL , 

CB 

• Like 1

I have had the CZ 457 Trainer for several years.  Excellent, and mine came with very good wood.  Mine came with a metal and a plastic magazine, fine for my amount of use, but I much prefer the metal version.  If you go for one I would try to get a few more of the metal magazines.  Have owned several CZ hunting rifles, all excellent.  Their customer service is  / was very professional.  Haven't needed them for a couple of years.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Thanks for the info. 

The Wolf ammo I have was made in Germany, but now it's being made by Eley in England.   See info at this link.....

Wolf Match Extra Lapua/SK vs Eley | Day At The Range

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Gracos Kid said:

The Wolf ammo I have was made in Germany, but now it's being made by Eley in England.   See info at this link.....

Wolf Match Extra Lapua/SK vs Eley | Day At The Range

Wow! Thank you. I did not know this. I guess my opinion of Wolf was unfounded in this regard. I will definitely be in the lookout for some. 

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Wow! Thank you. I did not know this. I guess my opinion of Wolf was unfounded in this regard. I will definitely be in the lookout for some. 

Try this link....

Wolf .22LR Ammo rimfire | Cheap Wolf .22LR Ammunition rimfire - AmmoSeek.com 2024

• Like 1

i dont have either , i have a lot of 22s but not these , however i know where you can read up on them extensively if you want - 

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

a lot of folks there do have them , you will get good info and a lot of personal experiences , 

im more into military trainers and old walnut and steel .........most of mine fall into that category , a lot of handguns but only a few newer versions of either handguns or long guns 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those two rifle models are close enough it comes down to the individual rifles.  As a Savage fan I'd say get the CZ since you have the budget.  The CZ is smoother when cycling the bolt and magazine changes.   You'll get most of the premium back when you sell the CZ, making the cost of ownership similar. 

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/savage-mark-ii-btv-22-lr-51-21-natural-brown-fixed-thumbhole-stock-matte-blued-right-hand

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/cz-cz-457-varmint-22-lr-51-20.50-turkish-walnut-blued-right-hand

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Those two rifle models are close enough it comes down to the individual rifles.  As a Savage fan I'd say get the CZ since you have the budget.  The CZ is smoother when cycling the bolt and magazine changes.   You'll get most of the premium back when you sell the CZ, making the cost of ownership similar. 

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/savage-mark-ii-btv-22-lr-51-21-natural-brown-fixed-thumbhole-stock-matte-blued-right-hand

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/cz-cz-457-varmint-22-lr-51-20.50-turkish-walnut-blued-right-hand

Both of those are on my list to check out. I really like the looks of that particular Savage. The only complaint I have read about it was the mag release being somewhat flimsy. 

That CZ Varmint is at the top of my list. 

I hate to say this as I will get virtual rocks thrown at me, but I really like the looks of the CZ American synthetic with the 20.5” barrel. 

Another interesting Savage I found at my LGS is the Mark 2 BSEV. I have yet to find a negative word about it other than it’s heavy. 
image.thumb.png.bcd143a6d1fb3980eba95611fd48d6f3.png

• Like 1

PAT,

I think if you buy a good CZ, you won't have any regrets.

If you buy the Savage, You'll probably wish you got a CZ after your competition beats ya.

The accuracy 'potential', smoothness of action, magazine, trigger, etc..... seem to favor the CZ.

Just my thinking!

..........Widder

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 9:23 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

PAT,

I think if you buy a good CZ, you won't have any regrets.

If you buy the Savage, You'll probably wish you got a CZ after your competition beats ya.

The accuracy 'potential', smoothness of action, magazine, trigger, etc..... seem to favor the CZ.

Just my thinking!

..........Widder

On 4/29/2024 at 10:13 AM, Buck Garrett said:

CZ 457 MTR

I bought a CZ 457 American Stainless Synthetic. I ordered it Monday and it came in today. I wanted a Varmint but none were available at the distributors my LGS. My second choice was actually the American Blued Synthetic because it has the 20” barrel. The blued and wood models have 24” barrels. 
The clerk says “How do you feel about Stainless?”

He showed me a picture and I said “I’ll take it.”

IMG_6108.thumb.jpeg.054a345bed6b2ca7681ef1d050c9d734.jpeg

Now I just need my scope rail and rings and I will start breaking it in. :D I can’t wait! :D

• Like 3