SASS Wire Forum

Food Portion Sizes

This is interesting. 

"Highland Pot Roast - 57 Prize-Winning Recipes, H. J. Heinz Company, 1957"

FB_IMG_1714141344394.thumb.jpg.17d6fb0da724df28226f2d95021e6f8d.jpg

Look at the portion sizes.  Four ouces of beef, a small potato,  maybe about a half cup of vegetables and mushrooms.  
A far cry from our modern serving sizes of 8 to 12 ounces of meat, if not more than a pound,  two cups of potatoes,  and the same of mixed vegetables.

• Like 2

I remember in Boy Scout cooking - both second class and first class - the meat portion was always listed as 4 ounces.

Even at the age of 13 I thought 4 ounces of meat was an awful little amount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall when a local radio announcer remarked how the smallest mammaries were in Asia and the largest were in USA, Canada was second. (Surgical alterations were not counted.) I wanted to point out that such measurements were heavily correlated to obesity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I recall when a local radio announcer remarked how the smallest mammaries were in Asia and the largest were in USA, Canada was second. (Surgical alterations were not counted.) I wanted to point out that such measurements were heavily correlated to obesity.

I always thought the biggest boobs were in Washington DC...or is that the biggest asses...or both?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

People live longer now than in 1957.

I would stop complaining about fat people. One day a fat person might save your life. 

image.jpeg.eff6558c92caf7374a9a540698216694.jpeg

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I think recipe makers have always shrunk their portion sizes to make it seem their meals can feed more than reality would dictate. 

Apricots in pot roast?  Interesting flavor. 

I think that the portion sizes are now based on USDA, or similar, portion size recommendations.  I don't recall seeing portions per receipt much before the 1940s.  Might could be that I just ignore them.  When my wife and I used to cook for church about once a month we figured 6 oz of whatever meat, or about a cup and a half of legumes, per person, also about half a pound of potatoes, and a cup of vegetables (we would usually buy the Flav-r-pak 4 pound bags and  take 2/3 of the number of servings per bag).  The only time we had leftovers was when we cooked for ~125 and only ~100 stayed for lunch (or something like that - guestimated high and had a significantly lower number show up for the meal).  

With the two hour cook time they will likely cook down to nothing and become part of the gravy/pan sauce.  Just like the carrots. 

I find it interesting that there are no onions in it.

If I went to a restaurant and they served me 4oz of meat, a small potato and a little tiny bit of veggies I would leave and I sure as heck wouldn’t pay. 

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

If I went to a restaurant and they served me 4oz of meat, a small potato and a little tiny bit of veggies I would leave and I sure as heck wouldn’t pay. 

Sounds more like an appetizer than a meal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Sounds more like an appetizer than a meal

Sounds like a “Course” at a French restaurant. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Sounds like a “Course” at a French restaurant. ;)

Yeh, that stuff they call gourmet!

• Haha 1

We often order of the senior menu, if they have one. Sometimes we've asked for a extra plate and split a dinner.  Sill we often get a go box.

One time on the road early and stopped in Thermopolis at a cafe. They didn't have a senior menu but a kids menu. Explained we had been eating too much but wanted something and coffee before hitting the road. No problem. One egg, sausage,  toast off kids menu. It was plenty.

Local Dutch Bakery ran by Mennonite has a deli service. Mary had a sandwich made up and cut in fours. We each had a quarter and split a lunchbox size bag of chips.  Had the other two quarters for supper. 

The plate below was what we got at a place in Kansas.  It was only $5 something on their morning special - including coffee.  We each saved back a slice of toast and half of Mary's ham and each had a sandwich further down the trail.

592302605_BreakfastinKansas.jpg.9f65b72c01b094d86f219ef03271f0dd.jpg

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

We often order of the senior menu, if they have one. Sometimes we've asked for a extra plate and split a dinner.  Sill we often get a go box.

One time on the road early and stopped in Thermopolis at a cafe. They didn't have a senior menu but a kids menu. Explained we had been eating too much but wanted something and coffee before hitting the road. No problem. One egg, sausage,  toast off kids menu. It was plenty.

Local Dutch Bakery ran by Mennonite has a deli service. Mary had a sandwich made up and cut in fours. We each had a quarter and split a lunchbox size bag of chips.  Had the other two quarters for supper. 

The plate below was what we got at a place in Kansas.  It was only $5 something on their morning special - including coffee.  We each saved back a slice of toast and half of Mary's ham and each had a sandwich further down the trail.

That breakfast would be fine in a heartbeat if put in front of me! With a side of bacon!

• Haha 1

I'm gettin' old, weigh 5lbs less than my college wrestling weight and most restaurant meals are too much, particularly in a couple of favorite places.  I wouldn't mind seeing a Seniors version of best selling menu items.  I don't mind the cost, but I was brought up to hate wasted food.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Any more my wife and I could split that and have leftovers.

• Like 1

The Rebel Pig in Palmyra on Fridays they have catfish and pulled pork. We normally stay away from buffets. But the buffet price is about the same as ordering off the menu. And we do love catfish.  I'd say they have more than a hundred seats up front and a banquet room in back. Every seat up front is full and turned over quickly.  Looked over at a big guy at another table. He had a plate of stuff and another plate mounded up with catfish.  If I could eat that much,  just schedule me for the emergency room the next morning for an "exorcism". 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

i dont disagree that those are small portions , i often want just that much so id not be mad but the pricetag would be the issue , 

i went to gurger king here locally one day when i was in a hurry without a lot of options to pick from , i got a whopper jr [i used to get them and be satisfied ] but they have recduced the size to the point i didnt recognize it - slider size , ill not do that ever again , wonder if everything else was reduced as well ? but ill not go back to find out , never again entering that establishment - the price was substantially higher as well , 

no loss , i dont eat much fast food ever , 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i dont disagree that those are small portions , i often want just that much so id not be mad but the pricetag would be the issue , 

i went to gurger king here locally one day when i was in a hurry without a lot of options to pick from , i got a whopper jr [i used to get them and be satisfied ] but they have recduced the size to the point i didnt recognize it - slider size , ill not do that ever again , wonder if everything else was reduced as well ? but ill not go back to find out , never again entering that establishment - the price was substantially higher as well , 

no loss , i dont eat much fast food ever , 

Out here, the only fast food I patronize is Dairy Queen.  My perception is that they still deliver.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Out here, the only fast food I patronize is Dairy Queen.  My perception is that they still deliver.

here - i also like dairy queen but have not been there ;lately as they close here for the winter season , only just reopening here now