SASS Wire Forum

Something wonderful my way cometh: A pair of Cimarron S&W No. 3 1st Model Americans in .44 Russian/Special

I have been shooting open tops for the last few years (I have 6, pairs in 3 calibers) so I have forsaken Top breaks.  Well, I work part time in a local gun shop, and guess what came in?  A Uberti No. 3, 1st Model "American" 5" top break in .44 Spcl/Russian!  It had been back ordered several years ago, apparently, but there is no longer any record of who ordered it, nor was there a deposit paid.  Boss knew I like cowboy guns, and offered it to me, to work off with shifts!  I said "hell yes!".  I liked it so much, I contacted Cimarron and arranged to get an 8" in the same caliber.  I ow have a pair.  They go great with my 1860 Henry and hammered double.  I used them at a local match last week end and loved them.  I am loading a 246 grain, conical round nose lead .44 Russian bullets over 5.3 grains of Unique in a Starline .44 Russian case.  Pretty much dead on at 7 yards.

First Model c.jpeg

• Like 13

I am afraid you may not be able to provide them the emotional support they so desperately need and deserve so I will offer to Foster them until you find them a new home.

Imis

Posted (edited)

So far, I am loving them.  I am using them at an annual match in May.  That will ring them out and see if any bugs.  While I have around 500 rounds of 200 grain .44 Colt ammo for my Dave Anderson (Pre0 AFF) 1860 Type I Richards conversions, it seemed like blasphemy to shoot anything other than .44 Russian in them.  I still had about 700 rounds of .44 Russian brass from when I had an orignal No. 3 Russian and later a pair of Open Tops in .44 that I shot Russian through.  I got the .44 Russian/.44 Special 246 grain conical round nose bullets from bear Creek and loaded up about 600 rounds.  So far, I've shot about 50 rounds through each with no problems.

I have been researching the American for a pair of Cowboy Chronicle articles on Cimarron's American.  Part One, the history is already in Sjinny's hands to publish in the next Chronicle.  I am working on part two, about Cimarrons guns themselves, as we speak.

Most do not know that Wyatt Earp actually used a No. 3 American Model, 8" barreled Smith & Wesson in the Gunfight at the OK Corral.  There were many famous Westerners who liked the Americans: John Westley Hardin, Dallas SToudenmire, Texas Jack OMuhondru, Buffalo Bill Codt, Wyatt Earp, etc.

Edited by Tuolumne Lawman 6127
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Actually, it is Oklahoma Gun Leather, a division of Don Hume holsters.  They are their "deluxe California Slim Jims, and run about $45 each!  They fit everything from Schofield, aAmericans, Vaqueros, Colt, Open tops.!

Edited by Tuolumne Lawman 6127
  • Like 2

Well gosh all fish hooks!  (Been reading Barks again...)

When these things first came out, I REALLY wanted one in .44 Special for various reasons.  But,  I could not find one in that caliber and had to settle for .45 Colt.   I am jealous!

But, here's the ironic thing...

I have the reproduction American and Schofield in .45.   I have real New Model 3's in .44-40 and .38-44.   I don't have a Russian.   But, you can get the reproduction in .45 Colt, as well as the Beretta Laramie in that caliber as well.  I never intended to do it, but I have a very faint itch to get all four repro's in that same caliber.

I absolutely love the .44 Russian cartridge!  When I had a pair of 1872 Open Tops in .44 Special/Colt/Russian I shot 44 Russia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

Actually, it is Oklahoma Gun Leather, a division of Don Hume holsters.  They are their "deluxe California Slim Jims, and run about $45 each!  They fit everything from Schofield, aAmericans, Vaqueros, Colt, Open tops.!

Have you tried them with the Schofields? So many holsters hit the release on them, it is a real challenge finding ones that fit.

I love my 44 Specials.

• Like 1

I to have a Cimarron 8"

#3 American 44

Russian-Special .

I really like the gun .

I shoot full load APP with 200gr Lee RNFP in the Russian cartridge. 

It's probably about as close as you can probably get to the original setup .

I'm working on  getting  a Russian  #3 right now .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I to have a Cimarron 8"

#3 American 44

Russian-Special .

I really like the gun .

I shoot full load APP with 200gr Lee RNFP in the Russian cartridge. 

It's probably about as close as you can probably get to the original setup .

I'm working on  getting  a Russian  #3 right now .

I have five bottles of APP.  When I run out of Trail Boss, Ill switch to it for my 44 Russian and 44-40 for the Henry.  I am getting to the bottom of a 5 pound jug of TB.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

I have five bottles of APP.  When I run out of Trail Boss, Ill switch to it for my 44 Russian and 44-40 for the Henry.  I am getting to the bottom of a 5 pound jug of TB.

I have about 40 one pound bottles of APP .

It's about as good as it gets for a Sub BP.

I just landed my 45 Russian #3 .

Now I have two #3's 

:wub:

• Like 1

I actually thought about getting 44-40s to go with my 1860 Henry.  I already pretend that the 44-40s are 44 Henry, so I could pretend that I have a first model american in .44 Henry too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1