SASS Wire Forum

60’s and 70’s Rock

There are so many. Eric Burdon was mentioned. He is someone who I think is really under rated, big time.

The Mark and Brian radio show used to have musicians on and get them to play a song or two. Ann Wilson sounded amazing, just like her recordings live in their studio. Tom Jones was another good one.

Some names not mentioned but not really Rock, more like storytellers...

Jim Croce

Gordon Lightfoot

Harry Chapin

Bob Dylan

Some Rock that were not mentioned (I think)

Johnny Winter

Edgar Winter

Molly Hatchet

Elton John

Deep Purple

Atlanta Rhythm Section

Don't forget about the myriad of one hit wonders...

Way too many to list!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

There are so many. Eric Burdon was mentioned. He is someone who I think is really under rated, big time.

The Mark and Brian radio show used to have musicians on and get them to play a song or two. Ann Wilson sounded amazing, just like her recordings live in their studio. Tom Jones was another good one.

16 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Ann Wilson was, and may still be, one of the

Carpenter, Mama Cass, Anni-Frid, and several score more.  Even Dolly.

I gotta admit that Ann Wilson is cute...maybe even gorgeous, and certainly has great stage presence...but the best?  Nah.  I can't buy it.  

Then again, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.......and thirty something other flavors.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Carpenter, Mama Cass, Anni-Frid, and several score more.  Even Dolly.

I gotta admit that Ann Wilson is cute...maybe even gorgeous, and certainly has great stage presence...but the best?  Nah.  I can't buy it.  

Then again, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.......and thirty something other flavors.

Without a doubt, Karen Carpenter and Cass Elliot were in a class of their own. B)

33 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Carpenter, Mama Cass, Anni-Frit, and several score more.

27 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Without a doubt, Karen Carpenter and Cass Elliot were in a class of their own. B)

They WERE great and I really enjoyed their music, but NONE of them had the range, power, or versatility of Anne Wilson!

And after more than fifty years, SHE’S STILL GOING STRONG!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

They WERE great and I really enjoyed their music, but NONE of them had the range, power, or versatility of Anne Wilson!

Maybe one - Pat Benatar. Like all things, depends on one's perspective.

Edited by Cypress Sun

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I got range, power, and versatility and NOBODY wants to hear me sing1

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Then there was that little known group called ......... the beatles  :blush:

Who?

I was dating a girl who saw them on Ed  Sullivan's show and she couldn't get over their hair being "longer than any girls I know".

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If you go on YouTube much, search for a channel called "the charismatic voice." It's an award winning professional opera singer and voice teacher who does reaction / analysis videos of different rock acts. She has done several videos featuring Heart, and if she's to be believed, yeah, Ann Wilson is pretty good. (understatement)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Don't forget about the myriad of one hit wonders...

Way too many to list!

? and The Mysterians

The Kings (Canadian Band)

The McCoys

The Kingsmen

Edited by DocWard
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DocWard said:

? and The Mysterians

The Kings (Canadian Band)

The McCoys

The Kingsmen

Lobo

Sweet

Looking Glass

Blues Image

Zager and Evans

Sniff N The Tears

Rick Derringer

Amboy Dukes

Iron Butterfly

Strawberry Alarm Clock

Barry McGuire

Edwin Starr

The Ides of March

Country Joe and the Fish

• Like 1

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer

Ace

Ten Years After

Buffalo Springfield 

The Kinks

J. J. Cale

Blondie

Loggins & Messina

Chicago

Delaney and Bonnie

and we mustn’t forget 

ELVIS PRESLEY

• Like 1

I don’t recall seeing Three Dog Night on anybody’s list.

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I think it was in the OP's first post.;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I think that Yul had them in the very first post.

Edit - He did!

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer

Ace

Ten Years After

Buffalo Springfield 

The Kinks

J. J. Cale

Blondie

Loggins & Messina

Chicago

Delaney and Bonnie

and we mustn’t forget 

ELVIS PRESLEY

Loggins & Messina, the one I couldn't seem to drag out of the cob webs! Thanky

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Otto
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Who?

I was dating a girl who saw them on Ed  Sullivan's show and she couldn't get over their hair being "longer than any girls I know".

Their hair was long for a guy at that time. Only giirls with a pixie cut would have similar length hair. No way their hair was longer then the average girl when they were on Ed Sullivan. Not even close.

• Thanks 1

Jeff Beck

Blackfoot

Dave Mason

Barefoot Jerry

Doctor Hook

Mac Gayden

Brewer & Shippley

Canned Heat
The Band

Poco

Spencer Davis Group

Bonnie Raitt

Tommy James and the Shondelles

Ray Charles

*The Charlie Daniels Band*

* From The Ballad of the Uneasy Rider through the “Million Mile Reflections” album, Charlie and the boys were rockers!!  The country music industry wouldn’t have anything to do with them or The Marshall Tucker Band!

37 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Jeff Beck

Blackfoot

Dave Mason

Barefoot Jerry

Doctor Hook

Mac Gayden

Brewer & Shippley

Canned Heat
The Band

Poco

Spencer Davis Group

Bonnie Raitt

Tommy James and the Shondelles

Ray Charles

*The Charlie Daniels Band*

* From The Ballad of the Uneasy Rider through the “Million Mile Reflections” album, Charlie and the boys were rockers!!  The country music industry wouldn’t have anything to do with them or The Marshall Tucker Band!

The rock world accepted CDB and MTB ten times more than the country music scene. Wasn't rock (to rockers) and wasn't country (to the country crowd) so they, along with others, initiated, what became known as, the country-rock era. A bunch of bands followed their footsteps and most contributed a ton of great music.

IMO, the beginning of the end of "country-rock" began with the death of Duanne Allman and Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane crash sealed it. At least that's the way I see it.

The Charlie Daniels Band was formed after Duane Allman died.  The only song that the Allman Brothers ever did that even faintly resembled country was “Ramblin’ Man”. The Allman Brothers Band was a Blues/Rock/Jazz band that set the standard for improvisational performance and was the model for many of the “Jam Bands” that followed 

What Skynyrd did wasn’t EVEN country until years later when the country industry decided to abandon its roots and to grab the bucks that some of the “Southern Rockers” were pulling down with enormous stadium concert sellouts and multiple platinum record sales!

Charlie made his bones doing “Beach Music” and session work as well as producing rock acts like The Youngbloods while he struggled to get his own act out there.  When he decided to stop imitating other big acts and just “do his own thing” he recorded Uneasy Rider and quickly formed the original Charlie Daniels Band and one of the roots of “Southern Rock” was created.  If you listen to those early albums, you’ll hear a couple of my high school classmates and another friend or two playing and ain’t nothing “country” about what they were doing!

Marshall Tucker is/was what “country” should’ve become, but what they played in those early days was far more rock and jazz than it was country!!

What they and The Outlaws, Elvin Bishop, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Wet Willy, Black Oak Arkansas, ZZ Top, and others created was SOUTHERN ROCK!!  What set Southern Rock apart from the rest of Rock ‘N’ Roll was that if you could play your instrument well and knew when to step up AND when to step back, you were welcome and appreciated!! They are/were a lot less country than the Rockabilly gang!

• Like 2