SASS Wire Forum

Vetrans, AAFES Guns & Ammo

I am anew member, but have stalked for a while. I don’t believe I have seen anyone discuss availability of firearms and ammo online for Veterans using the Army, Air Force Exchange Service. I recently got a few rounds of 38 for 50 cent a bang paid no sales tax or shipping. I bought my first Rossi 92, and later a pair of “Man wit No Name 38s”,  Hint watch for a great sale 10% or special for STAR Card (say10%) and bag Double discount on a pair like I did.

IMG_0092.jpeg

I checked out this Army - Air Force Exchange. There are some pretty good deals on a variety of things. Their filters on their listings could be better but overall this could be a good resource for a variety of things. 
I didn’t try signing up, so I don’t know what’s required. 
I went into ammunition and was amazed at the variety. Trouble is, they only sort by brand in the filters so it could take a while to find something in particular. 

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/

@Pompitous Thanks very much and Welcome to the Saloon. 

Bottles, get that man a drink! Put it on my tab. :D

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

I go to the local (65 miles away) exchange once in a while and there prices are usual higher than what I can buy stuff elsewhere for.

kR

I find the prices at my local exchange to be on par with what I can buy elsewhere, until I account for sales tax, then the exchange is a winner. Of course, I'm not 65 miles away, more like a fifteen minute drive.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I checked out this Army - Air Force Exchange. There are some pretty good deals on a variety of things. Their filters on their listings could be better but overall this could be a good resource for a variety of things. 
I didn’t try signing up, so I don’t know what’s required. 
I went into ammunition and was amazed at the variety. Trouble is, they only sort by brand in the filters so it could take a while to find something in particular. 

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/

@Pompitous Thanks very much and Welcome to the Saloon. 

Bottles, get that man a drink! Put it on my tab. :D

Who is eligible to shop AAFES

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I wonder why a Veteran would have to be approved, unless they mean a DD214 is approval enough. Their criteria doesn’t state that. 
I found it interesting that there are quite a few folks listed as having “Unlimited Privileges” but Veterans are limited to online access only. 
At first blush reading this I think these folks can go screw themselves. Unless, of course, I am misreading the pages in the link. 

Here is what the “privileges” are for veterans. 
Copied from the link Dave posted:

Veterans Privileges

Approved Veterans can shop the online exchanges, including ShopMyExchange.com! Shopping with the Exchange online gives you access to exclusive military pricing and offers, tax-free shopping and more. This is a lifelong benefit that will be extended to all who discharge honorably from service.

Here is the Unlimited Privileges qualifications: 

Unlimited Privileges

• Active Duty or Reserve Uniformed and Retired Uniformed personnel.
  • Recipients of the Medal of Honor.
  • Honorably Discharged Veterans when certified 100% disabled.
  • Military Members of Foreign Nations when on duty with U.S. Military Service.
  • National Guard not in Federal Service.
  • Red Cross Personnel who are U.S. citizens, assigned outside the U.S. with the Military Service.
  • U.S. Civilian DoD Employees when stationed outside the U.S.
  • U.S. Citizen Employees of Firms under contract to the Department of Defense when employed outside the U.S.
  • Military Transition Personnel.
  • Retired Ship’s Officers and Crew members of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, NOAA.
  • Ship’s Officers and Crew members of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, NOAA.
  • Dependent family members of personnel listed above.
  • Contract Surgeons.
  • Non-DoD Federal Departments/Agencies as determined by local commanding officer.
  • Dependents of members of the armed forces, commissioned officers of the Public Health Service or commissioned officers of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association who have been separated for dependent abuse.
Edited by Pat Riot

7 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I wonder why a Veteran would have to be approved, unless they mean a DD214 is approval enough. Their criteria doesn’t state that. 
I found it interesting that there are quite a few folks listed as having “Unlimited Privileges” but Veterans are limited to online access only. 
At first blush reading this I think these folks can go screw themselves. Unless, of course, I am misreading the pages in the link. 

The reason it's online only is because veterans don't have access to go on the base. It's not that they're excluding veterans, it's just something new that veterans used to not be able to do because online shopping wasn't a thing. It started years ago and there were signs everywhere for the active duty to tell their friends about it. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

The reason it's online only is because veterans don't have access to go on the base. It's not that they're excluding veterans, it's just something new that veterans used to not be able to do because online shopping wasn't a thing. It started years ago and there were signs everywhere for the active duty to tell their friends about it. 

Ah! I see. That makes sense. Thank you. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:00 PM, watab kid said:

make your own - you will be happier in the end , 

Here is my 'take' on reloading

cases = free after you find/scrounge/buy them

powder = ($50 per pound ÷ 7000 grains per pound < 1¢) X 5 grains per round = 5¢

primer = let's call it 10¢ close enough for government work

bullets:  I cast my own and can buy lead ingots at 50 lbs for $80 = call it 2½¢ per grain.  For 200-grain bullet =  5¢

so 1 cartridge of .45 Colt costs me right at 20¢

my 120 round count 6-stage match's cost for metallic cartridges = $24 . . . that's for 120 rounds!

looking at the link provided above the cheapest .45 Colt ammo with all lead bullets is just under $1 per round (no tax or shipping figured in) = $120 for that same match

and I get to tailor the recoil by adjusting my powder loads which is not an option going with store-bought ammo

I reload shotgun shells, too but that's a story for another time

yes, my reloading presses and assorted "toys" weren't free but, I do see reloading as fun and a sorta-separate hobby/obsession

Casting is another sorta-separate enjoyable enterprise  and then there is powder coating the bullets which is near-on to magic

So, my humble suggestion is to find a fellow shooter that reloads and check out this part.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Ah! I see. That makes sense. Thank you. 

And they changed that a couple years back to allow any Vet, PX access but for firearms you need a base that handles them local as they dont ship to FFL's and some bases that dont have a firearms counter . 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Here is my 'take' on reloading

cases = free after you find/scrounge/buy them

powder = ($50 per pound ÷ 7000 grains per pound < 1¢) X 5 grains per round = 5¢

primer = let's call it 10¢ close enough for government work

bullets:  I cast my own and can buy lead ingots at 50 lbs for $80 = call it 2½¢ per grain.  For 200-grain bullet =  5¢

so 1 cartridge of .45 Colt costs me right at 20¢

my 120 round count 6-stage match's cost for metallic cartridges = $24 . . . that's for 120 rounds!

looking at the link provided above the cheapest .45 Colt ammo with all lead bullets is just under $1 per round (no tax or shipping figured in) = $120 for that same match

and I get to tailor the recoil by adjusting my powder loads which is not an option going with store-bought ammo

I reload shotgun shells, too but that's a story for another time

yes, my reloading presses and assorted "toys" weren't free but, I do see reloading as fun and a sorta-separate hobby/obsession

Casting is another sorta-separate enjoyable enterprise  and then there is powder coating the bullets which is near-on to magic

So, my humble suggestion is to find a fellow shooter that reloads and check out this part.  

i appreciate your cost analysis , i never look at that really , i always looked at it as shooting something you cant read=ily buy over the counter , but both make a difference in the end and i think the happiness is worth something too , 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Just so you Know, 10% off for Fathers Day Sale (another 5% off for Star Card), saw single action Rugers & Cimarrons in popular calibers on Sale for 10% off. Rossi R92 lever guns in popular calibers as well. I didn't check shotguns! Do the math $700 gun on sale = $630-10%= $570 for any vet,  -5% for Lifers with STAR card payoff next month for $540.:rolleyes:

Edited by Pompitous