SASS Wire Forum

Nature's Surgical Tool

What would be worse? Using biting ants or Krazy Glue?

I have tried super glue a couple of times to close and seal wounds. I ended up with a mess and fingers glued together while the wounds kept right on bleeding. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have used super glue many times.

The ants, though. As soon as I saw the first picture, I knew what this was going to be. I've heard of this many years ago. But I just had a thought.

It would be easy to do this if you had a small pair of scissors, so once the aunt (not aunt you moron, ANT) had clamped on you reach in with your scissors and cut the head off.

But trying to decapitate an ant using a knife. That just seems like it would be extremely difficult. Maybe even make a couple of new cuts while you were doing it, thus requiring more ants. :lol:

Edited by Alpo
  • Haha 2

All right. I just watched the video. And I see that they're pinching the body off the head using their finger nails. I guess that would work better than a knife.

I was visualizing the tribal medicine man with a flint knife cutting that ant body off.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

What would be worse? Using biting ants or Krazy Glue?

I have tried super glue a couple of times to close and seal wounds. I ended up with a mess and fingers glued together while the wounds kept right on bleeding. :lol:

You are correct; super glue will not stop bleeding.

Compress until bleeding stops.  Flush the wound with peroxide and/or alcohol.  Yes, it will hurt and probably start bleeding again.  Compress some more until bleeding stops again.  Pinch wound closed and dab a spot on the opposed edges to keep them closed.  Repeat down the wound like you were stitching it shut.  Cover with antibiotic ointment and bandage for about a week.

Keep acetone or fingernail polish remover handy to clean up misadventures.

If you ever get split skin where you thumbnail meets your thumb tip, a dab of super glue works wonders to allow the split to heal.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

All right. I just watched the video. And I see that they're pinching the body off the head using their finger nails. I guess that would work better than a knife.

I was visualizing the tribal medicine man with a flint knife cutting that ant body off.

Chew 'em off. Lotsa complex amino acid protein in those ants. ......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seldom Seen #16162 said:

So if it doesn’t let go how do you get it off after the wound has healed?

I would think that after a few days, the ant head would dry out enough to just crumble away leaving the jaws to go away with shedding the dead skin.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Chew 'em off. Lotsa complex amino acid protein in those ants. ......

Ants are also full of folic acid, which is a great help if you're pregnant. But I don't think I'm going to be any time soon.

No thanks I’ll just go see my doctor or the ER if it’s really bad!

• Like 1

after my recent surgery im a fan of whatever superglue they used , im not a fan of having to refrain from my showers for that extended period of time but then back when i got stitches - both the type you had to come back in to have removed [that was a bad accident and multiple locations ] they left big scars for years - can still see them , and the dissolving type that you didnt have to have removed - those also left a scar later lesser injury but you can still see them , this new cut is not very visible already and its only been a few months , 

but here is the bottom line if i were in the woods there and needed stitches , im good with the ant heads and the scar , better than bleeding out or healing really slow 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

You are correct; super glue will not stop bleeding.

Compress until bleeding stops.  Flush the wound with peroxide and/or alcohol.  Yes, it will hurt and probably start bleeding again.  Compress some more until bleeding stops again.  Pinch wound closed and dab a spot on the opposed edges to keep them closed.  Repeat down the wound like you were stitching it shut.  Cover with antibiotic ointment and bandage for about a week.

Keep acetone or fingernail polish remover handy to clean up misadventures.

If you ever get split skin where you thumbnail meets your thumb tip, a dab of super glue works wonders to allow the split to heal.

Thanks @J-BAR #18287 :)

That's good info. 

Also, I used to have really bad finger splits, especially in the winter. O’Keefe’s hand cream works wonders for that. I get the nighttime cream and put it on before bed. It helps tremendously. 

• Thanks 1