SASS Wire Forum

Just got a 87 lever shotgun

I have three 87s converted by Lassiter.  One Chiappa and two IACs.  I plan on not being able to load the magazine.  Lassiter told me that sometimes you can and sometimes you can't.  I can load the mag in the Chiappa, but it is a pain in the back side and not something I would want to have to do on the clock.  Not about the Cimarron.  I'd give Lassiter a call and get his opinion.

• Like 1

IMHO, with the two-shot load in the '87, no matter who does what to the gun, it isn't worth the brain damage!  Years ago, the late Cathouse Bill Blattler and I ran tests where we loaded six shell in the '87 under the clock, versus loading two in a SxS, or six in the '97.  We switch off guns, and the times to get off six rounds was nearly identical.  But we could never get the rules changed, so rather than messing with the '87, he went back to loading his '97 one at a time, and I went back to my SxS. Hope you can get the Drop Two to work for you.

I run a lassiter with the 2 drop mod the mag tube is eliminated but as far as speed goes my son is pretty quick with his sxs, when he and I practice it is pretty evenly matched between him and I.

For me personally I run my 87 not for speed but style points it's just a cool gun.

I even got my 11 year old daughter running one and she really loves it over the 97, or sxs

• Like 1

I use an 87, My times are better than a double or a 97. If you are proficient with an 87 your times should be about the same as either of the others. Most of the people that don't like an 87 are people that don't run one or are trying to use one that is not properly set up. When you get one done with the drop two just have the gs modify an extra carrier for the drop 2 modification. Then you have the original carrier if you decide to use it for more than 2.

kR

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

I have three 87s converted by Lassiter.  One Chiappa and two IACs.  I plan on not being able to load the magazine.  Lassiter told me that sometimes you can and sometimes you can't.  I can load the mag in the Chiappa, but it is a pain in the back side and not something I would want to have to do on the clock.  Not about the Cimarron.  I'd give Lassiter a call and get his opinion.

We have a Lassiter Chiappa. Yes, you can load the tube. Is it easy.......NO.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I use an 87, My times are better than a double or a 97. If you are proficient with an 87 your times should be about the same as either of the others. Most of the people that don't like an 87 are people that don't run one or are trying to use one that is not properly set up. When you get one done with the drop two just have the gs modify an extra carrier for the drop 2 modification. Then you have the original carrier if you decide to use it for more than 2.

kR

My main gun is a 97 I bought this because why not I  seen it in the movie Monty Walsh, and I’ve always wanted one

I have 2 Lassiter modified 87s. You can load the magazine on one of them if you are VERY persistent. The other one I've yet to find a way.

Do as Kid Rich said and get the extra carrier or buy a second one and keep it unmodified. 

• Like 1