SASS Wire Forum

Cable help

We live out in the country and we can't get any sort of cable/internet service worth a damn...we have tried all the dish/direct TV, Verizon Hotspot, nothing works. Fast internet is essential as my wife works from home sometimes,if she can.. We sit wayyyyy off the road and spectrum cable offered to lay wire back too the house for 9 grand....um no. We have some scrappy dsl stuff now that goes out a lot...ok,now my question

Has anyone tried or do you have that new Elon musk cable, starlink??? If so, does it work and is it worth the money? It looks like it is now available in my area.

I was in a similar situation and was on the starlink beta list.

$500 upfront, must have an uninterrupted view of the horizon and some other requirements made me not get it.

I used the Tmobile $50 a month unlimited home internet plan for over a year. I had 2 bars of service and a pretty consistent 30ish mbs of download. We stream everything and would still have it but the local electric coop installed fiber.

Unlimittedville and Nomad internet have remote rural internet cell service. But you buy the modem/router and pay $150 or so a month.

We have tried t-mobile,  att,Verizon and all the usual suspects, no service here. 

Starlink interests me but we do not have a clear view of horizon for sure, too many trees, I better read the fine print

3 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

We have tried t-mobile,  att,Verizon and all the usual suspects, no service here. 

Starlink interests me but we do not have a clear view of horizon for sure, too many trees, I better read the fine print

Can the Starlink antenna be mounted on a pole or tower?

12 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Cell signal booster/repeater?

Ya we did the whole Verizon hot spot with the boosters, no dice

3 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Can the Starlink antenna be mounted on a pole or tower?

My neighbor mounted theirs on a bracket by the top of the table(GABLE) on his house. It extends on a pipe another foot or so to clear the roof line. 

I got the impression he had to do his own install. He raves about StarLine, but just switched to fiber as we just got it in our area and it's about $50 cheaper. My Mom has Starlink up in the mountains above Boulder and likes it as well.

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Otto
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

must have an uninterrupted view of the horizon

From the Star Link website:
Starlink requires an unobstructed view of the sky. Download the Starlink app to determine your best install location.

I know several people who have the "RV" service.

To my understanding, the only difference being that the RV service can be throttled during peak times.  That said, none of my acquaintances have ever had an issue.

One family, to include three kids, have run two laptops and five tablets simultaneously streaming movies with no lag.

That said, cloud cover and inclement weather can play a factor.

We've had Starlink for several months now, and love it.

Our dish sits on the ground(haven't gotten around to mounting it on the house yet) ,and all we had to do was make sure it was pointed north  with an unobstructed view of the sky.

We have the fastest internet We've ever had, and in the months we've had it service has only been interrupted twice. Both times it was out for about 20 minutes.

Neither Dish nor Direct TV comes close to the level of service Starlink provides.

The initial cost is steep, but the in available programming makes up for it.

If you have Roku, it makes it even better.

I have no vested interest in Starlink or Roku, just offering an opinion. 

And as usual,YMMV!

Choctaw

On 3/20/2024 at 1:40 PM, ORNERY OAF said:

We live out in the country and we can't get any sort of cable/internet service worth a damn...we have tried all the dish/direct TV, Verizon Hotspot, nothing works. Fast internet is essential as my wife works from home sometimes,if she can.. We sit wayyyyy off the road and spectrum cable offered to lay wire back too the house for 9 grand....um no. We have some scrappy dsl stuff now that goes out a lot...ok,now my question

Has anyone tried or do you have that new Elon musk cable, starlink??? If so, does it work and is it worth the money? It looks like it is now available in my area.

My boss has it and loves it.

• Like 1

I have cable, so don't need StarLink, but if I did, I'd sure get it! A lot of people criticize Elon Musk, but SpaceX's StarLink is probably the greatest thing since...slice bread...the incandescent electric light...the phonograph. That fleet of satellites is making communications possible for people, in places, never before available. Do I have a vested interest? I wish I could buy some stock, but Musk keeps it completeley close to his vest. U.S. military is thinking about hooking up with something similar. SpaceX just successfully landed a Falcon9 first stage booster for the 20th time!  If I were 58 years younger, I'd be down in Texas banging on his door, asking if he could use a rocket engineer! Go SpaceX! Go StarLink!