SASS Wire Forum

Measuring semi-fluids

Alpo

If I have a recipe that calls for 8 oz of orange juice, I know that's fluid ounces.

If I have a recipe that calls for 4 oz of chocolate, I know that's 4 oz by weight.

But how about a recipe that calls for a semi fluid.

I have a recipe for a meatball casserole that calls for 20 oz of spaghetti sauce.

I'm assuming that that's 20 fluid ounces, but the recipe does not say. I guess if I bought some spaghetti sauce, and got a 20 oz jar, that would solve the problem. But if I made my own sauce. Do I need to get out by one quart measuring cup and measure in 20 oz? Or do I need to get out my scale, tare out the bowl, and do 20 oz that way?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

If I have a recipe that calls for 8 oz of orange juice, I know that's fluid ounces.

If I have a recipe that calls for 4 oz of chocolate, I know that's 4 oz by weight.

But how about a recipe that calls for a semi fluid.

I have a recipe for a meatball casserole that calls for 20 oz of spaghetti sauce.

I'm assuming that that's 20 fluid ounces, but the recipe does not say. I guess if I bought some spaghetti sauce, and got a 20 oz jar, that would solve the problem. But if I made my own sauce. Do I need to get out by one quart measuring cup and measure in 20 oz? Or do I need to get out my scale, tare out the bowl, and do 20 oz that way?

Buy a 20 oz jar at the grocery, dump it down your sink and refill with yours. Now you have a 20 oz jar of your own sauce. :P

Oh, and save the jar for future use.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There is always “ a pint a pound the world around” as a guideline.

Yes, depending on what the meaning of "pint" is.

https://www.splashlearn.com/math-vocabulary/measurements/pint#:~:text=As per the U.S. measurement,(i.e.%2C 20.0448 ounces).

1.04318 pounds

As per the U.S. measurement system, 1 liquid pint of water equals about a pound (16 ounces) in weight. The actual measure of a U.S. pint of water isn't exactly 1 pound. It is about 1.04318 pounds. On the other hand, the British imperial pint weighs 1.2528 pounds (i.e., 20.0448 ounces).

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Yes, depending on what the meaning of "pint" is.

https://www.splashlearn.com/math-vocabulary/measurements/pint#:~:text=As per the U.S. measurement,(i.e.%2C 20.0448 ounces).

1.04318 pounds

As per the U.S. measurement system, 1 liquid pint of water equals about a pound (16 ounces) in weight. The actual measure of a U.S. pint of water isn't exactly 1 pound. It is about 1.04318 pounds. On the other hand, the British imperial pint weighs 1.2528 pounds (i.e., 20.0448 ounces).

20 imperial fluid ounces?  Or us fluid ounces?  It’s better not to fuss the details, spaghetti sauce is spaghetti sauce.

8FE01F6C-F95E-4807-A582-0690D6D7C75E.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

20 imperial fluid ounces?  Or us fluid ounces?  It’s better not to fuss the details, spaghetti sauce is spaghetti sauce.

8FE01F6C-F95E-4807-A582-0690D6D7C75E.jpeg

Now you went and changed units from pints to ounces. This changes things about 20%, though probably fine for spaghetti sauce.

The British Imperial pint is 568.261 ml (20 fluid ounces), while the US Customary pint is 473.176 ml (16 fl oz). 

51 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Now you went and changed units from pints to ounces. This changes things about 20%, though probably fine for spaghetti sauce.

The British Imperial pint is 568.261 ml (20 fluid ounces), while the US Customary pint is 473.176 ml (16 fl oz). 

That’s my point, 526 ml (20 UK fluid ounces) compared to US pint 473 ml (16 US fluid ounces.

it’s a standard pub bet where the Brit swears that a uk pint is 25% bigger than a US pint.  It is not because the ounce is smaller

i let my wife do all that she is the gormet cook , i fix the broken chit around here which seems to be every day deal , - but i guess its equal she cooks every day and what she makes is really good , what i fix is very frustrating , 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

i let my wife do all that she is the gormet cook , i fix the broken chit around here which seems to be every day deal , - but i guess its equal she cooks every day and what she makes is really good , what i fix is very frustrating , 

You having a bad day but having a Happy Wife is always better than any day where the Wife isn't happy.;)

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You having a bad day but having a Happy Wife is always better than any day where the Wife isn't happy.;)

to be sure , im always happy to be done fixing and some days whats broken takes a couple days to get done , but she is very understanding as long as i get it fixed , 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

My wife will tell you that she keeps me around to fix stuff.

yup , mine too , she even volunteers me out sometimes 

21 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Get yourself a measuring cup, fill it 2.5 times, stop over thinking it. 

Should I do that with my cup measuring cup, my pint measuring cup, or my quart measuring cup?

• Haha 2

ok , ill stop thinking on it , it was giving me a headache ....or was that the boubon ? nopoe i think it was all that overthinking , 

Ok my recipe calls for 20 oz spaghetti. Sauce. Assume all measures are US customary here. At my store, I have available various sizes: 24, 25, 32, 40, and 67 or so oz jars.the 67 I wouldn’t use it all and the partially full jar would likely just take up space and spoil before I use it up.  The 40 is no choice for the same reason.  The 24 and 25, I’d use it all. The only question would be the 32. Should I consider it, I think it might be the most tasty. Then if I choose the 32, do I use it all or save half a jar?

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ok my recipe calls for 20 oz spaghetti. Sauce. Assume all measures are US customary here. At my store, I have available various sizes: 24, 25, 32, 40, and 67 or so oz jars.the 67 I wouldn’t use it all and the partially full jar would likely just take up space and spoil before I use it up.  The 40 is no choice for the same reason.  The 24 and 25, I’d use it all. The only question would be the 32. Should I consider it, I think it might be the most tasty. Then if I choose the 32, do I use it all or save half a jar?

Bump the rest of the ingredients by half again? 

...or would that be too easy?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Bump the rest of the ingredients by half again? 

...or would that be too easy?

And the recipe that started all of this, it is a casserole cooked in a 9 x 13 pan. If you bump the ingredients by 50%, it ain't going to fit.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

And the recipe that started all of this, it is a casserole cooked in a 9 x 13 pan. If you bump the ingredients by 50%, it ain't going to fit.

You only got one pan?

• Like 1

I only got one 9x13. And I had to go buy it especially to make this recipe. Used to have three or four of them. Don't know where the hell they went.

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I only got one 9x13. And I had to go buy it especially to make this recipe. Used to have three or four of them. Don't know where the hell they went.

OMG, 9x13 regular, deep, and extra deep, 10x14, 11x15, 8x11…. Sometimes I think that if I don’t have it either they don’t make it, or it walked out the door.

• Haha 1