SASS Wire Forum

My Google fu has failed me

Alpo

There's an Elvis movie. Clambake. One of the musical numbers takes place at a playground, where Elvis is singing a song about confidence, to try to give this little girl the courage to go down the slide.

The first time I was watching this movie, maybe 10 years ago, I thought the little girl was Marcia Brady. It's not.

But periodically I will do a web search attempting to find out who it is. Or who it was. If she ever went on to do anything else, or if that was a one shot.

I have never been able to figure out who she is. Little girl in the blue striped shirt, with pigtails held with blue ribbon.

Been there. They list two boys "at the playground". No girls. They list several girls as "dancer", but it's an Elvis movie. It's full of dancers. And none of these girls have a picture.

And even if they did have a picture, it would be a picture of it as a grown up which does absolutely no good. Teri Garr was in that movie. Take a look at the picture of her.

Like Lee Majors picture is as an old man, not from the movie.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

And even if they did have a picture, it would be a picture of it as a grown up which does absolutely no good. Teri Garr was in that movie. Take a look at the picture of her.

"...the little girl afraid to go down a playground slide, to whom Elvis sings, is Lisa Slagle, who later joined the Joffrey Ballet."
SOURCE

Clambake Blu-ray

Living The Dream: The Ballet Teacher - Southlake Style — Southlake's Premiere Lifestyle Resource

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
add link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I like the first sentence in that second link.

Lisa Slagle first discovered dance through her grandfather, who owned a strip center that included a dance studio.

This is how much of that sentence that was visible when the link first opened.

Lisa Slagle first discovered dance through her grandfather, who owned a strip center

She discovered dance because her grandfather owned a strip center. Strip center - is that anything like a strip joint? Oooookay. B)

Anybody of Pre shopping mall age knows what a strip center was. I suspect Millennials would be confused.

• Like 1

I know what a shopping center is. I have heard, many times, the term "strip mall" - although I'm not exactly sure what that is.

But I have never heard of a strip center before.

2 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Strip mallimage.thumb.jpeg.d24e80810ad38f29f1cb2a7e59522fdc.jpeg

That one even has a Get It Now!

Even better than a strip center!:ph34r:

Seriously, I call them strip malls but I've heard strip center used frequently also.

yup - built a few strip ceters [strip malls ] and shopping malls over the last half century , but i agree that todays kids might be confused at the terminology , id never confuse a strip mall.center with a strip joint tho ....yes i do know what those are too , i was young once a long time ago and .......well you know 

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

That entire movie makes me sad.  None of that play ground equipment will be found on today's playgrounds because a bunch of do-gooder idiots madethem go away because "they were dangerous".

That reminded me of this:

I was visiting my daughter. She, her husband and I took my 2 year old granddaughter to a local playground that had a 10 foot plus tall "mountain" that the older kids could climb. Fortunately, my daughter and husband are not the typical parents and would let their daughter experience the thrill of doing things that were a little dangerous (under supervision). The granddaughter wanted to climb the mountain so we positioned ourselves strategically so we could catch her if she fell and let her go at it.

The other young parents at the playground were aghast that we would allow such a thing to occur and gave us the "look". 

The granddaughter also played on other items that were for older kids so we got more "looks".:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1