SASS Wire Forum

A seven-bore pistol?

I was reading a report of the Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi's assassination and it reported he was shot with a "seven bore" pistol.  I thought it may be a different caliber in British jargon, but can find no reference of such a thing.

A seven bore is 22 mm. 88 caliber.

The smallest size on the conversion chart I was looking at was 67 bore, which is 41 caliber.

Since he was shot with a 380, which is 36 caliber, possibly it is a 70 bore. And either 40 misread, or whoever wrote it mistyped.

No, that ain't it. I just found another conversion table, and 70 bore would be 405.

100 moreBORE is .359 caliber, 9.14mm.

Edited by Alpo
otto

The Beretta used was a 1934 model, chambered in .380 ACP, or as known in Europe as the 9mm Short or Korto. it held 7 rounds in the magazine. Probably the reporter was as knowledgeable about firearms as those today.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Kurz?

Kurz is German, Corto is both Spanish and Italian, and Court is French. All mean the same - short.

• Thanks 1

So we have 9mm korto, kurz, court…what’s it called in India where Ghandi was murdered?

Oh, I know, 7 bore :P

• Haha 2

I guess you can take your choice. It would either be English, because England owned India, so that would be 9 mm Browning Short, or it would be Italian because the gun was Italian, so it would be 9 mm Corto.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I guess you can take your choice. It would either be English, because England owned India, so that would be 9 mm Browning Short, or it would be Italian because the gun was Italian, so it would be 9 mm Corto.

Eye roll.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Eye roll.

Darn! There’s another name for the .380? Do they call it the 9mm Eye Roll or is it the .380 Eye Roll?

:P :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the original report was written in Hindi or one of the other 120 or so languages in use in India, it is conceivable to me that the problem was in translation. In Gandhi’s time it was not yet mandatory for everyone to learn two languages, one of which must be either Hindi or English as it is now.

I was told that for kids entering school, if their spoken tongue is not Hindi, most of them choose English as their second language.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984