SASS Wire Forum

Clays - ADI AS30N 'Spikey'

Quiet Burp

Pressure rises very quickly (very non-linearly) as the charge weight increases - sometimes "explosively"

good luck, GJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Pressure rises very quickly (very non-linearly) as the charge weight increases - sometimes "explosively"

good luck, GJ

Thank you for the reply, I'm loading .38spl right on the knocker of maximum at 3.5gr Garrison Joe on my Dillon. 
I have diligently weighed charges and the Dillon can throw below charge of 3.4gr or an above charge of 3.6gr occasionally. 

I find it a very nice light recoiling load in my Vaqueros, very pleasant to shoot and not arthritis aggravating. 

I'm more of a reader on the Wire than a poster and lost count of what I have learnt reading your answers to queries.

Should I have any concerns using AS30N (Clays)?

image_2024-02-12_170117657.png.53157ffc84160793773da6d730f1523c.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Thank you for the reply, I'm loading .38spl right on the knocker of maximum at 3.5gr Garrison Joe on my Dillon. 
I have diligently weighed charges and the Dillon can throw below charge of 3.4gr or an above charge of 3.6gr occasionally. 

I find it a very nice light recoiling load in my Vaqueros, very pleasant to shoot and not arthritis aggravating. 

I'm more of a reader on the Wire than a poster and lost count of what I have learnt reading your answers to queries.

Should I have any concerns using AS30N (Clays)?

image_2024-02-12_170117657.png.53157ffc84160793773da6d730f1523c.png

The only concern would be your close to max charge. I'd back off a little. even at 2.5gr velocity is way higher than needed in CAS. 

When I loaded for a fast shooter, I threw 2.6 to 2.8 grains of Clays and that worked really well for cowboy shooting.  If you are within the published tested charges, you should be getting very safe pressures.   Regardless of reports of spiky pressures when above the tested loads. 

Throw out the first (startup) charge you drop on any progressive press, as you can never be sure how much packing of powder has occurred since the last loading session. 

Carry on, sounds very normal. GJ

• Like 3

I also settled at 2.8gr Clays for Ellie's 38s with a 125TC pill.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

IMHO, you empty the powder measure at the end of every session.

IMHO, I don't.   I have run the same powder for SASS cartridge loading for years now.   It doesn't clump or attack the plastic in Dillon loaders. 

I check the first couple drops every new session, and sometimes I have an extra 0.2 grains on the very first charge on my 550. That either gets adjusted or recycled back into the hopper.

Some loaders make it very tedious to dump out all the powder.  Like a 550 running Dillon powder measure.

So, I'm loading a lot more from experience than from opinion anyway. GJ

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

IMHO, I don't.   I have run the same powder for SASS cartridge loading for years now.   It doesn't clump or attack the plastic in Dillon loaders. 

I check the first couple drops every new session, and sometimes I have an extra 0.2 grains on the very first charge on my 550. That either gets adjusted or recycled back into the hopper.

Some loaders make it very tedious to dump out all the powder.  Like a 550 running Dillon powder measure.

So, I'm loading a lot more from experience than from opinion anyway. GJ

I have been hand loading for 60 odd years, dozens of calibers, pistol and rifle with a wide variety of propellants.  By now, I've figured out what works for me.  Best of luck with your methodology.

11 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Interesting.
It is/was my understanding that pressure is linear within the range of published charge weights.

For example, Hodgdon publishes for the 130 gr Meister Cast LRNFP with Clays powder
3.0 grains, 828 fps, 12,500 psi
3.5 grains, 924 fps, 16,100 psi

If linear in the published range, this is useful to interpolate an intermediate value to find a specific pressure.
I use this (y=mX+B) to find 11,518 psi for BHN=9 soft lead bullets for optimum obturation.

As long as the calculated PSI is between the minimum and maximum range, there is no safety issue.

linear.jpg

12 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

I have read on a lot of sites that Clays - ADI AS30N is a 'Spikey' powder.

Can someone explain to me what this actually means?

I can’t say about spikey but I’ve been loading with Clays powder since I started in 2005, 1st in .45 Colt and for the last 15 years in .38 special. When I first started .38 I was loading 2.6 grains behind  a 125 grain bullet. I gradually bumped it up to 3.0 grains and have been using that ever since. I buy Clays anytime I see any because I really don’t want to have to find a different powder. I do not empty my powder measure because I only use Clays and only load .38 special.

Randy

43 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Interesting.
It is/was my understanding that pressure is linear within the range of published charge weights.

For example, Hodgdon publishes for the 130 gr Meister Cast LRNFP with Clays powder
3.0 grains, 828 fps, 12,500 psi
3.5 grains, 924 fps, 16,100 psi

If linear in the published range, this is useful to interpolate an intermediate value to find a specific pressure.
I use this (y=mX+B) to find 11,518 psi for BHN=9 soft lead bullets for optimum obturation.

As long as the calculated PSI is between the minimum and maximum range, there is no safety issue.

linear.jpg

I wouldn't hang my hat on the pressure curve being linear for any powder.

YMMV

• Like 1

Neither of us is Brian Litz, so it is all speculation until measured otherwise and documented.

Linear or not, the published minimums and maximums show the range of pressures by charge weights.
One can interpolate between these two points and be confident they remain within the safe range.
For me, Interpolation is more accurate than a wild-ass guess.

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

This quick release for the Dillon powder measure is the best thing since sliced bread.  No tools needed to dump powder.  I have them on both of my 650's.

https://www.armanov.com/shop/qrdpc-quick-disconnect-for-dillon-powder-measure-90?category=63#attr=

Sorry for changing the subject.  Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

This one works well on the SDB,

https://entirelycrimson.com/collections/dillon-square-deal/products/quick-disconnect-for-dillon-square-deal-powder-measure

Also, UniqueTek makes a gizmo that slides into the powder measure to drain it. Works well, but the quick release and dumping is easy as well.

• Thanks 1

That is a nifty thingie for the 650.  But, I don't understand the problem??  I just stick funnel in the powder jug, disconnect the actuator rod, pull the locator pins for the Tool Head, tip the whole shebang upside down and dump the powder.  Reverse.  takes less time to do than to type this and requires no tools atall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

This one works well on the SDB,

https://entirelycrimson.com/collections/dillon-square-deal/products/quick-disconnect-for-dillon-square-deal-powder-measure

Also, UniqueTek makes a gizmo that slides into the powder measure to drain it. Works well, but the quick release and dumping is easy as well.

Thanks

Ordered one for my SDB

• Like 1