SASS Wire Forum

How To Open a Can

there are more modern can openers - but if all you got is a hunting knife ............well gotta get it open , just make the mess where it wont attrack bears to your camp , 

• Like 1

You can open a can without any tools. You turn it upside down and scrape back and forth on a flat rock or cement with fair amount of pressure you will wear through the can rim within a minute or two,the  then you simply pry off the lid.

• Like 2

I can open a can with my Victorinox knife can opener as fast as anyone with a hand held crank opener. Still not as fast as an electric can opener though. ;)

51 minutes ago, T.K. said:

You can open a can without any tools. You turn it upside down and scrape back and forth on a flat rock or cement with fair amount of pressure you will wear through the can rim within a minute or two,the  then you simply pry off the lid.

I saw a kid do this at a campground once. I was pretty impressed with his ingenuity. His mom apparently forgot to pack a can opener. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Knew that one, but I have carried a P 38 "John Wayne" on my keychain for better than 50 years.

I've opened many a can with the can opener on my Boy Scout knife. Not as many but still often with the can opener on my Leatherman.

But after hearing all the old soldiers brag about the p-38, I got one. I managed to get the can open, but damn that was a pain. I'll just make sure I've always got my Boy Scout knife in my pocket, if I don't have access to my swing away.

Would have probably been easier to take the can out and rub it back and forth on the driveway.