SASS Wire Forum

Do you believe that your brain still contains every single one of your life memories, which includes visual sightings?
This weird and obscure question has come to mind recently as I am sometimes finding it hard to recall what used to come to mind easily.
In addition, in conversions with Ann, she will recall childhood memories in almost vivid detail.
Think of your brain as a computer with unlimited capacity, never needing a new memory or storage chip.
What if everything we see, once our eyes are opened is recorded in our brain. It's there waiting to be accessed.
Take a situation where you are trying to recall a name, and the harder you try to remember you can't. Then later it comes to you. WHY? Because it was always there for recall.
Think of deja vu scenarios you might have had. Thought I had seen this before. It may be true, because it was recorded by your brain, just not prompted for recall.
Hypnosis is suppose to help you recall visions of incidents you may not think you know, or to help you recall one's you know but can't remember.
This brings me to the ultimate question at hand:

Could a drug be discovered that when taken, will basically give you immediate recall of every memory you encountered?

Don't know about a drug. but a trick that works for me is a few tangential mental queries and waiting a moment.  Couldn't remember a singer's name, thought of the songs, then where I heard them, London, and pretty quickly the name popped to mind.  Associative recollection?

When I want to remember something, I stop thinking about it. Usually it comes to mind 10-15 minutes later.

it’s similar when I’m looking for something.

Yes a drug could be developed.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

We digress. :mellow:

The question does not necessarily relate to short term memory recall.

Let's ask these questions to better understand what I am driving at:

1. Does anyone remember when they were 6 months old, being fed different baby foods and what your reactions were?
  2. When you were 5 years old, Christmas Day, what was the first present that you opened up?
  3. Does anyone remember what outfit your first girlfriend was wearing when you met her?
  4. At your first SASS Match, do you recall what color the shirt was of the TO on Stage 1?

If during all of the above events, these images were implanted on your brain's hard drive, are they still there? :ph34r:

Does the brain have the capacity to store every single image of your life? :o

That is the question at hand. B)

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
grammar correction

#1: I do not remember.

#2: Lionel electric train. 
       (I still have it)

#3: A Catholic School Uniform 

#4: White (Latigo Jim, we’re still friends)

In reference to #1, my mom tells me that I hated beets, (I still do) liked most fruits, (I still do) and was allergic to citrus, (I still am)!!  But I cannot say, honestly, that I remember!

11 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

#1: I do not remember.

#2: Lionel electric train. 
       (I still have it)

#3: A Catholic School Uniform 

#4: White (Latigo Jim, we’re still friends)

In reference to #1, my mom tells me that I hated beets, (I still do) liked most fruits, (I still do) and was allergic to citrus, (I still am)!!  But I cannot say, honestly, that I remember!

Which goes to my question.

Do you @Blackwater 53393 believe that what your mom fed you every day of your life is logged on your brain's hard drive, yet you do not have the ability to recall those memories?

Further: Question #5: What did you eat for Dinner on May 23, 1965? And is that memory still there but inaccessible?

Inquiring minds want to know the overall answer.

5 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

some people can, Mary Lou Henner

Thanks for reminding me.

I do recall (deja vu) having seen that episode.

Maybe that is why my question came up. :blink:

There was an episode of Married With Children. Al was attempting to get on this sports trivia TV show, could win $20,000. But they picked Kelly because pretty blonde teenage girl beat the hell out of ornery old shoe salesman.

So Al spends the next two days teaching her all the sports trivia he knows. And she gets to a part and says, "Stop. My brain is full. For me to learn anything else I will have to forget something."

Then Bud tells her something - it's raining or it's time to go or she forgot to put her shoes on. Something.

And when they get to the show she is winning. She is getting all the answers right. And then we come to the final question. The one for all the money.

What Polk High quarterback scored four touchdowns in one game?

Well that was Al. That was his claim to fame. He talks about that all the time. This is a lead pipe cinch.

Except - when Bud told her that one thing. Some new knowledge so something had to leave her memory to make room for it. It was the memory that Al scored those four touchdowns.

I think there's a lot of truth to that. Did your brain can only hold so much memory. And as you get older, it gets full. That's why I can remember things that happened in the first grade, but I can't remember what I had for dinner Thursday. There's no room for that Thursday night dinner memory. Storage is full.

9 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Which goes to my question.

Do you @Blackwater 53393 believe that what your mom fed you every day of your life is logged on your brain's hard drive, yet you do not have the ability to recall those memories?

Further: Question #5: What did you eat for Dinner on May 23, 1965? And is that memory still there but inaccessible?

Inquiring minds want to know the overall answer.

I didn’t have dinner on May 23rd, 1965.

We had breakfast, lunch, and supper!

Only rich folks had “dinner” back then except on Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving!! :lol:

It was Sunday, (I looked it up) and my mom usually made spaghetti and meatballs for Sunday supper at least twice a month, so…:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Just now, Blackwater 53393 said:

It was Sunday, (I looked it up) and my mom usually made spaghetti and meatballs for Sunday supper at least twice a month, so…

That's cheating.

Back in the good old days, when a woman had a baby, she generally would stay in the hospital for a few days.

I was nursed for 4 days. Then we went home. My year and a half old brother would not allow her to do it - he had a bottle while I got the breast? no no no no, so I was put on the bottle at 4 days old. I know this because I remember my mother telling me this, when I was in high school or college. I remember her telling me. I don't remember it happening.

I was started on solid food when I was 6 days old. Rice cereal. I know this. I read it in my baby book when I was in college. I don't remember it from when I was 6 days old.

Looking it up, or researching it is not the same as remembering it.

I wasn’t cheating!!  I stated plainly that I looked up what day of the week it was!!

IT WAS HUMOR!!

I DO remember, at age three or so, dropping my sister on her head (maybe that was the cause of her becoming a liberal!!) in the kitchen!  We were playing “Church” and I was “baptizing” her!!  It was a concrete floor with the old black and white checkerboard tile.

Skint her noggin and got my butt busted, (not the first time or anywhere near the last) for it! 

• Like 1

I am a firm believer that we have a record of everything imprinted on our brain.

What "most" of us do not have, is a quality recall system to find all of those memories.

I liken it to using a computer - important stuff; we label that file and carefully preserve it.

But pretty much everything you do on the computer is recorded; every website you visit, every image file is in there somewhere - just not always easy to find again.

And the less significance that an individual memory has - it becomes less likely to have been properly labeled and filed away.  Ending up in a figurative junk drawer never to be looked at again; excepting accidental recall or while searching for something else.

But every once in a while - you come across a "file" that triggers a group of memories that associate with it - that you would not be able to recall on its own; but hit that right key and entire files of memory open up.

Smells are one of those triggers - you may not be able to simply recall a given holidays events; but catch a whiff of hot pumpkin pie and suddenly you're recalling a Thanksgiving day when you were 12; you remember going deer hunting in the morning and watching football with your cousins.  

And sometimes those memories that are not labeled come back as dreams, deja vu or a "feeling" that something is familiar.

My Dad always had atrocious memory for details - but when he got brain cancer; after surgery and chemo - he lost short term memories but suddenly could go into great detail about things that he and my Mom did in grade school or church when they were 5 or 6 years old.

He was accessing files that had gone untouched for 60 years while what happened yesterday was missing.

So yes, I believe the memories are all there - we just don't currently have the reliable means to find them.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022
  • Like 3