SASS Wire Forum

EDC Pocket Prybars - Ever heard of these?

Pat Riot

Recently I have noticed these little pocket prybars appearing for sale in various websites I have perused. I can see how they might come in handy. 

Have you seen these?
Do you own any and if so have they come in handy?

Is there a preferred style of these, like; certain length, shape, type of metal?

HERE are some examples:

image.thumb.jpeg.64b18935719447a4fed4d748cce4e3b8.jpeg

https://everydaycarry.com/best-pry-tools

image.thumb.jpeg.f058afc9f20263eeb273cb7b43c6578e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.09339dd14cd754f47726ef0a2b0f9917.jpeghttps://www.edcapparatus.com/listing/680377855/titanium-edc-multi-tool-pry-bar

image.jpeg.b067d9e0d5ff4aaee7cd8a3551a3b10c.jpeg
https://www.lynchnw.com/prybars

Interesting and I can see some uses for a few of them...but...that unprotected sharp end on all of them would prevent me from carrying them in my pocket. Too many bad things can happen with unprotected, sharp ended tools/etc in pants/shirt/jacket pockets. I've seen it up close, glad it wasn't ever me. I'll have to pass.

• Like 1

I wonder if any of those pictured above are TSA approved?

I'm pretty certain a few/most would not be, just as the multi-tools are not.

I hate to fly, but a pocket/keychain bottle opener could always come in handy.

• Like 1

Pocket prybar does not look like it has enough leverage to do much.

I agree with pointy part could hurt.

Bottle opener for travel I have some of these

Screenshot_20240122_093928_Brave.jpg

• Like 2

The funny thing is I never heard of these little pry bars until I went on the Obuy website a few days ago. Obuy is an Olight company. 
When we were visiting in CA over Christmas I noticed a little metal thing hanging from the keychain on his belt loop. I asked him what it was and he said a friend had given it to him. “It’s a mini pry bar”. All it’s good for is opening boxes, really”. He demonstrated by zipping the sharp edge through the tape on an Amazon box. 
This may be the one he had. 
image.thumb.jpeg.94b09df38010a717b87802f35c240eaf.jpeg

You can see how big or small it is compared to the key in the picture. 

14 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I'm pretty certain a few/most would not be, just as the multi-tools are not.

I hate to fly, but a pocket/keychain bottle opener could always come in handy.

Multitools without a blade can be TSA approved, it can't have a sharp edge or scissors longer than 4".  The Leatherman carabiner pliers with scissors is TSA approved.  The Gerber Shard mini pry bar is TSA approved.    If you only want it for opening boxes I would sharpen a shorter key, then the other keys act as a sheath.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 7:12 AM, Chief Rick said:

12 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

If you only want it for opening boxes I would sharpen a shorter key, then the other keys act as a sheath.

I rarely fly, but even if I did so, I really can't see where I'd have a need to open very many boxes on the Airplane.

Back to the future! In the Viet Nam era, Gerber produced several Prybar/ chisel / sharpener tools to reduce damage to Mark II fighting knives.  I believe I have an example of each one they released.  They are actually quite useful multi tools.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Multitools without a blade can be TSA approved, it can't have a sharp edge or scissors longer than 4".  The Leatherman carabiner pliers with scissors is TSA approved.  The Gerber Shard mini pry bar is TSA approved.    If you only want it for opening boxes I would sharpen a shorter key, then the other keys act as a sheath.

My problem with the TSA is the statement at the end of every item or list that shows Allowed Items cs Disallowed Items is

”TSA Agents at the security checkpoint have the final say in what’s allowed and what’s not”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

My problem with the TSA is the statement at the end of every item or list that shows Allowed Items cs Disallowed Items is

”TSA Agents at the security checkpoint have the final say in what’s allowed and what’s not”

True.  After 9/11 there were some incompetent employees who were confiscating flip out keys because they were "switchblades".  The owner couldn't drive their car home and had to pay hundreds for a replacement. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I purchased a knife from bladehq around Christmas time and received one of little prybars as an extra gift.  I looked at it for awhile and it now resides in the kitchen junk drawer.  It might be useful to open a can of paint at sometime.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I purchased a knife from bladehq around Christmas time and received one of little prybars as an extra gift.  I looked at it for awhile and it now resides in the kitchen junk drawer.  It might be useful to open a can of paint at sometime.  

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s where mine would end up if I had one. :lol:

When I saw these things I couldn’t figure out what they’re actually for or why people need these.

Reading Amazon reviews one would think these things are a godsend. 

• Haha 1