SASS Wire Forum

Single Action Army Frame Size

Iron Jim Rackham

I would like to purchase an 1873 Single Action Army clone in 45 Colt with 7 1/2" barrel. I have very large hands and would like a recommendation on a revolver purchase. I shoot open top conversions in 38 spc distributed by Cimarron,  and find the grips comfortable. By contrast, I find the grips on an 1858 Remington Army cap and ball revolver uncormforably small.  I shoot a pair of Uberti 12 shot 1873 revolvers in .22LR for fun, and find the grip sizes small but acceptable for a pistol with no recoil. 

Which single actions revolvers have the largest grip? Finally, does anyone make Colt styled eagle hard rubber grips that fit any of the clones? I notice all the Cimarron clones feature one piece grips, and the Colt's are two piece.

Thank you very much

IRON JIM,

Part of an answer.  From Uberti (Cimarron) you're not going to find over the counter Colt SAA pattern guns with Army (the largest) grip sets.  The only Uberti offerings with Army grips will be Open Tops and Conversions with 7 1/2 inch barrels.

From Pietta (EMF Co.) the only available choice is the "Alchemista" and at that you will be limited to a 5 1/2 inch barrel.

I don't personally know of anyone making Hard Rubber Colt style grips to fit either Uberti or Pietta.  

• Like 1

I had Army length grips on my USFA 1873 pistols for several years.  They originally came with the standard Navy style grips, which I replaced with Army style grips (Uberti), including a trigger guard and back strap to fit the grips.  I bought them from VTI Gunparts and installed them on the USFAs, which have the same dimensions as Uberti pistols.   I reverted back to the original grips and sold the Army grips to a pard. 

If you don't want to go that route, you can contact Texas  Grips (texasgrips.com) who sell extended grips for single actions that are 1/2" longer than the grip frame.

• Like 3

What 1873 single action clone features the largest frame? I'd like to make sure the three fingers of my right hand fit on the grip behind the curvature of the triggerguard. The 1860 Army conversions are comfortable, but I'm not sure which 1873 clone is best for larger hands

I used to have Uberti smokewagons with the army grip frame. I have very large hands. I am shooting Ruger Bisleys now and get along great with them. I will not buy a NEW Uberti with the safety firing pin. I don't know what Pietta has to offer

• Like 1

I have XXL paws, so I understand. The Army size grip feels good to me, while the Navy size is a bit small to me. Also, my Schofields fit my hands well.

I have a pair of Cimarron El Malo 2 that have the Army size grip in 357 but I don't know if it comes in 45. You might be able to find a Taylor Co. Gunfighter somewhere as well.

image.png.d9f58c3b38651dadf42fef3f825e5a58.png

On 1/21/2024 at 5:49 PM, Iron Jim Rackham said:

Thank you. Ill look for an old model Vaquero. Do the Cimarron 7th Cavalry and Custer models have larger grips?

I have medium-sized hands, and have been shooting old model Vaqueros for all my time in CAS/SASS. I know some folks who swap the regular hammers for Super Blackhawks, but that would be up to you.

Best of luck and shoot safe!

This may be a viable answer for you.

You can put 1860 Army Grips on a Single Action Army.   This'll give you larger grips on the SAA frame.

You'll probably need to get grips from the same maker to insure everything lines up, but it does work.

BigIronWithArizonaRangerBadge.thumb.jpg.e02bea58da9ac8fdd27a300e29b87645.jpg

This is my "Big Iron" pistol.   It's an Armi San Marco SAA clone with Pietta 1860 grips.    

• Like 1