SASS Wire Forum

Wet tumbling brass

Hoss

This past weekend I wet tumbled about 600 38sp cases in a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler. Used brass cleaner, water. (No pins). Cases came out shining like a diamond in a goats behind!  

As I was drying them I found 3 loaded rounds that had been washed. 1 was APP, other 2 Bullseye powder. I wondered if they would fire. 

All 3 went bang, I could not tell any difference!  I really thought that the tumbling in water for 2 hours would have gotten a drop or 2 of water in the case, but apparently no. 

would I Intentionally wash & use  loaded rounds? No, but this very small sample says it’s nothing to worry about if your ammo gets wet! 

• Like 3

Murphy says: That would hold true for thousands and thousands of practice rounds.  But the instant I tried to use one of those in a match.....................:(

Edited by Shooting Bull
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Gray Hare, SASS #20821 said:

I have put rounds through the washer. Wondered the same thing if they would go off. They all fired. 

Yea, but I was told you do not use powder when reloading just magnum primers! :rolleyes:

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

This past weekend I wet tumbled about 600 38sp cases in a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler. Used brass cleaner, water. (No pins). Cases came out shining like a diamond in a goats behind!  

As I was drying them I found 3 loaded rounds that had been washed. 1 was APP, other 2 Bullseye powder. I wondered if they would fire. 

All 3 went bang, I could not tell any difference!  I really thought that the tumbling in water for 2 hours would have gotten a drop or 2 of water in the case, but apparently no. 

would I Intentionally wash & use  loaded rounds? No, but this very small sample says it’s nothing to worry about if your ammo gets wet! 

Read in a book about Remington Arms that an order of 10,000 rounds of 45-70 black powder headed for Russia sank right out of port.  They spent  6 months in salt water before the ammo could be recovered.  All 10,000 went off like it was suppose to.

i dry tumble and have had a few live rounds go through by accident . ive been more concerned with an AD in the tumbler than shooting one after it went thru , but then again i introduce no liquid , only dust that i minimize with old dryer sheets 

Not quite the same thing, but I've shot at a lot of ducks with shotgun shells that had spent at least some time underwater.  Never had one fail to go off that I recall.

Many of those ducks flew away, though.  Maybe it had something to do with wet shells, yeah, that's what it was!

• Haha 3

I had my ammo stored in a plastic bin in the back of the truck for EOT when it was held in Indiana. I had smokeless ammo for side matches and black powder ammo for the main match. It had rained several days before the match and my tonneau cover leaked funneling all the water into the ammo bin. all the ammo was sitting in about 3" of water. As luck would have it I live about an hour away so I went home and got new main match ammo. The wet ammo I took home and tried shooting it and all the samples of black powder ammo and shotgun ammo shot fine but the smokeless ammo was horrible. I ended up shooting all the black powder ammo at monthly matches without any problems but the smokeless ammo even after trying to dry them out in a case dryer for days were a no go. When I pulled the bullets some of them actually had water pour out of them.

On 1/8/2024 at 12:23 PM, Hoss said:

That would NOT likely be the result with pistol ammo for a Frontiersman!