SASS Wire Forum

Sombreros in California?

sassnetguy50

Are sombreros common enough in California that they don't raise eyebrows?  

Background thought: what if people wore a sombrero and pointed without speaking as protest to the video and audio recording requirement.  I've had Mexican customers who point, hand over a note or a cell phone with an english speaker.  Some have worn wide brimmed landscaper hats, never a sombrero.

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Are sombreros common enough in California that they don't raise eyebrows?  

Background thought: what if people wore a sombrero and pointed without speaking as protest to the video and audio recording requirement.  I've had Mexican customers who point, hand over a note or a cell phone with an english speaker.  Some have worn wide brimmed landscaper hats, never a sombrero.

I'm going to assume you mean like Calvera and his gang wear.

Outside of parades, celebrations, and such I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a sombrero.

When I lived in CA the only time I saw a sombrero was at a cowboy action match or Mariachis performing at public events and parades. 

I used to have a hat like the one @Injun Ryder, SASS #36201Lposted, but I only wore at matches. 

Shot for several years with a friend who had a complete "Vaquero" outfit, replete with a gorgeous Sombrero.  The Sombrero wasn't some cardboard tourist thing either.  I also have a rather "large" Palm hat that resembles a Sombrero for Summer matches.  I call it "Portable Shade." 

Sombrero, dark glasses, and, since it's the season, a covid mask.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Just wear a baseball cap and sunglasses. If you're really worried wear a hooded sweatshirt.

A good way to become shot.

Back when my wife worked at a local gun shop/indoor range a guy came in wearing his motorcycle gear, including helmet and gloves.   Everybody looked at him.  He walked in a few more feet, took off his right glove....we all moved to where we had a clear view and field of fire (the owner let me carry there because I was off the books help)...he unzipped his black leather jacket and reached in with his right hand.... everyone's hand went to their carry gun....he pulled out his glasses....then took his helmet off.   The senior guy in the store explained to him why what he did was a Bad Idea.   

Gun shops around here had signs up during the Pandemic Scare that it would be much appreciated, and much safer for the customers, to take off the mask before entering.

Archived