SASS Wire Forum

Magnum shot or chilled

Rye Miles #13621

I bought some magnum lead shot #7 1/2 Not much difference in this and chilled

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Magnum-Chilled-Lead-Shot/products/68/

I just picked up 25# for $50.00 on sale. According to the article I posted Magnum shot is a little harder since there’s 5-6% antimony as opposed to 2-3% in chilled shot. 
The place I bought it at only had magnum. First time I ever bought this.

If ya can hook up with somebody at a trap/skeet club, you might get in a club purchase. Closer to $40-$45 and no exorbitant shipping.

Also don't forget our Pard @SHOOTIN FOX

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Typo

11 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

If ya can hook up with somebody at a trap/skeet club, you might get in a club purchase. Closer to $40-$45 and no exorbitant shipping.

Also don't forget our Pard @ShootinFox

I have bought quite a bit of shot from Shootin fox and plan to buy a lot more, good pard, good shot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Also don't forget our Pard @ShootinFox

I bought this at a local gunshop for $50.00 + tax NO SHIPPING 

I don't know anyone at  a trap skeet club and besides the closest one in 45 minutes away. This gun shop is 15 minute drive. I supported a local business too!;)

The topic here is not how much I paid, it's the difference between magnum and lead! 

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Mag shot is just a harder alloy is all.

Downs side, on steel you may see more bounce back of the shot.

That's kinda what I was wondering, thanks!

• Like 1

For cowboy targets, i use the cheapest shot I can get and can't tell that I am missing anything that I aimed close to..   And I don't see fellow shooters ducking and weaving to avoid bounce-back, which usually comes from poorly angled targets and pitted target surfaces. 

For sporting clays, I use the best (hardest) shot I can get and can really tell the difference on 35-45-55 yard shots at difficult angles.  Yeah, hard shot is one of the best ways to get uniform and tighter patterns.

good luck, GJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I make and sell new, #7.5 shot. Screened for size, tumbled and graphited, ready for use.

#65 for $150 shipped to your door, shipping and insurance included.

#25 for $50 at shoots or picked up.

I have limited space for delivery to EOT so order early please.

Fox

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

This is a good question.  I'm getting ready to stock up on shot for the year.  

Is there really any difference between them?

Which one should I buy?

Where is the best place to get 50 to 100#?

Shootin Fox is way to go. Only thing is your postman won’t be happy :D

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Shootin Fox is way to go. Only thing is your postman won’t be happy :D

I’d love to support him but the LGS has it and they’re 15 minutes away, so no shipping. I can buy it and come home with it. 

• Like 4

Nope, the Arsenic (As) is what increases surface tension in the (liquid) lead alloy, and THAT is what makes the shot round as it is dropped (or squirted).   If Antimony (Sb) was needed, then chilled shot at 1-2% Sb would be difficult to get into round pellets.  But chilled shot (low antimony) is just as round as high-antimony (magnum) shot.   Both chilled and magnum shot use a little arsenic (about 0.3%) to make the lead droplets "round up."

Sb is an alloy hardener, so the pellets in magnum shot deform less in the choke tube (better pattern) and less when they strike a bird - thus penetrating better.

There's a lot of difference in shot pattern between chilled (loose patterns) and magnum shot (tighter patterns).  In cowboy shooting, though, we don;'t really need any tighter pattern when we shoot at 5 yards or so.     Clay target sports, though, or bird hunting, those are where magnum shot is worth spending extra money for the shot used.

good luck, GJ

• Thanks 2

On 12/27/2023 at 5:56 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Buy reclaimed shot for SASS usage. ;)

Absolutely!   I buy new shot for trap/skeet but use the reclaimed for SASS.  Just paid $50/ bag of new shot.  I remember paying under $10/ bag when I first started shooting clays.   Damn, I'm old.

Buckeye Pete

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buckeye Pete, SASS # 29941 said:

Absolutely!   I buy new shot for trap/skeet but use the reclaimed for SASS.  Just paid $50/ bag of new shot.  I remember paying under $10/ bag when I first started shooting clays.   Damn, I'm old.

Buckeye Pete

Yep - we’ve been meaning to talk with you about that…………Reclaimed shot for CAS - I have even used it for quail successfully. 

1 minute ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Yep - we’ve been meaning to talk with you about that…………Reclaimed shot for CAS - I have even used it for quail successfully. 

TTB, at the clays range I work at, some of our very solid shooters comment that they don't see any real difference using reclaimed vs. new shot for non competition skeet/trap shooting.  YMMV.

Buckeye Pete