SASS Wire Forum

This is why you should wear eye protection

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

This was in the back of my hand for 2 months before I finally dug it out.  image.thumb.jpeg.5ca6b9d0514e25442ae05dfd2412d996.jpeg

I still have shrapnel close to my spine felt like a hot iron when I got hit  Flack jackets do help a bit.

Stay Safe

Wraparound glasses with an safety rating of at least ANSI 87.1 rating is the only glasses I'll wear while shooting. I've picked enough lead out of my face, arms, hands and neck over the last 25+ years of shooting steel that I won't even think about wearing any non-safety rated glasses or "period correct" glasses.

Medical advancements have made it so they can replace almost everything in or on your body...except eyesight. Once you're blind...you're blind.

One of the first matches I shot, I got hit with a sliver on side my nose.  Stuck and drew blood.  It came from other posse several stages away.  Since then I wore safety glasses that wrap around.  I seen one guy standing at loading table get hit in the leg with a penny size chunk that struck with enough force to cut through his denim pants and draw blood.  Again,  from several stages away.

I have a crescent moon shaped scar on my left jawline from a chunk of lead that came over a berm from the neighboring posse.

Didn't really hurt, but took a chunk of skin out and bled like it was going out of style.  (one of the reasons I started wearing a beard instead of the goatee that I wore for years)

I have considered the damage that would have been done if that same lead chunk had hit an eye.

The absolute best eye protection I can find for myself and my loved ones - ALWAYS.

The HD Gold glasses are excellent. Full Rx ,mine are progressive bifocals  transition lenses. Wrap around. Well worth the $400. 

first match I wore them a 45colt bullet bounced off target, huge chunk (maybe whole bullet) hit me square  in left eye. (I saw it coming but too dumb to duck!) it hit lens and bounced off. Glasses worked perfectly. 

I was timing Rex M Rugers one time Caught one of his flybacks just above my glasses.By the time he finnished I had blood dripping out of my beard.That hurt.

Another time at Founders had my back to the range & thump.Ithought my grandson Cataztrophy had tossed a rock at me  Took my hat off & there was a bullet stuck in it.Had it glued in place.If I wouldn't have had a hat on it probably would have taken the top of my ear off.

Largo

Yeah.  I recently forgot mine & when I realized it I started turning my back during the shooting strings.  Still got lectures from Fire n Fallback & Cleve (they never raised their voices) so will not do it again on their watch.  I started carrying tweezers in the range bag after picking lead from a pard's cheekbone with my fingernails (his choice; not mine).

Archived