SASS Wire Forum

What’s the best lever action 30-30?

Leathersmith

On 12/12/2023 at 7:41 PM, Leathersmith said:

Alright… hear me out.

I’m considering trying out the Cody Dixon Lever Action class at some clubs here in Texas. So I’ll need a lever action that shoots a rifle cartridge.

It seems like .30-30s are still relatively affordable. But I’ve never handled one. So I have no basis for comparing the different actions. I’ve shot both Marlins and Winchester clones in pistol calibers, but I’m guessing that doesn’t really translate.

So what do y’all like? Marlin? Winchester? Something else? Im not a Henry fan, so those are out.

I’d love something that I could tune up to bring a little speed to that category. I mean, I don’t expect one to perform like my Boogie rifle, but I’d like to try and slick up whatever I end up with.

I’m interested to hear your thoughts.

If you're reading all the replies, it should be obvious that the answer to your question is:  It's a Ford vs Chevy vs Chrysler thing.   Whether you pick up a Winchester, Marlin or Mossberg is really unimportant, as the real criteria is how they feel in your hands and how they handle for you.  The other questions you need to answer are whether you can fill your needs with a carbine, or even a trapper, or do you need the added capacity only a "rifle" provides.  My mdl 94 Trappers hold six rounds in the mag, my 20" carbines hold 7, while all of my mdl 94 26" rifles hold 10 rounds of .30-30 ammo.  Then when you get that criteria narrowed down, and you've selected the best .30-30 rifle for YOU... you will then have to determine the best bullet for your rifle, in a load that it likes and provides you with your desired accuracy.  Things like bullet weight, hardness, nose profile (generally you'll want a flat nose, but there are different profiles for even that), & velocity all affect the shooting experience.  Are you a caster, or do you need "store bought" pills?  Do you already handload .30-30s for another platform?  My honest, brutal opinion is that none of the above should be determined by a popularity contest.  There are many "bests".  Some vary in minute details, others can vary greatly.  Best for me, for you, or anyone else can be nearly identical, or differ wildly, expectations to the contrary are unrealistic.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like an interesting category. Several years back mentioned it at our club but pretty much got boo'd off the range. Yo me it's a "run what you brung" or "bring what you have" category. 

I'm thinking that if you don't already own a Cody/Dixon compliant rifle, it may not even be a game of interest, unless you are young, which I am not.

I only own one 30-30 lever gun, a Bat Masterson Winchester 94 Commemorative, and that is what I'd use. The Commemorative Winchesters can, or at least they were pretty cheap to buy. That's a plus, but lots of them were made like poo or the metal was poo, some were decent. The Winchester Commemoratives all had decent barrels, with six deep wide grooves,  and a 0.300 bore diameter. Those are probably typical Winchester dimensions. I don't foresee any issues shooting cast. But if the target was out at 150 yards, I'd need it to be a buffalo sized one. I'm more of a 50 yard 30-30 cowboy. I'd want a 24" octagon barrel for the 150 yard stuff. Yes, I do need to practice, but without a 30-30 class to compete in locally, not much incentive. 

I have a two 311041 double cavity molds and I'd cast a bit hard so I could ring the target, if I hit it. I've loaded it with various powders, it doesn't seem to be too fussy, just a matter of picking a velocity. 

I am a bit confused about the duplex loads accepted, what would a typical duplex load consist off?

BB

There are times when I wonder if instead of swapping out the regular "main match" rifle for a "Cody Dixon" type rifle, if adding such a thing as a 5th gun could be a viable alternative variation of CAS.

In other words, instead of 10-10-4+, 10-10-5-4+.  Ten rounds from pistols, 10 from a pistol caliber repeating rifle (IE a Main Match Rifle) 5 rounds from a rifle caliber repeating rifle, and 4+ from a shotgun.   Call it what you will.   At minimum, you'd need one more target "a bit farther away" than the "regular" rifle ones.  Which means you'd need shooting bays long enough to have said targets added.  You could run it as an "experimental" extra category at any otherwise regular shoot to see if anyone would want to try it, or if it was popular.

Along the same lines, have you ever noticed that there are essentially 2 kinds of rifle caliber (By rifle caliber, I mean cartridges that won't fit in a a revolver)  cartridges?  Type 1 are rounds that would fit in a Winchester 76, 86, Large Frame Lightning, Marlin 1895, or similar rifles.  Type 2 rounds are things that would fit in a Winchester 94, Marlin 336, and other comparable rifles.   I suppose there is a potential 3rd category that sorta bridges the gap between these two types, and these would be rounds that work in the Winchester 95.  Things like .30-40 or .405 Winchester that have more "power" than the things you'll see in the 94, but are very different from what you'll see in an 86.   There may even be some overlap in some cartridges, but I don't wanna get lost in the weeds.  I've also noticed that the type 1 cartridges tend to have longer long range capability, but that just may be the fact that I'm not the best shot!

33 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

There are times when I wonder if instead of swapping out the regular "main match" rifle for a "Cody Dixon" type rifle, if adding such a thing as a 5th gun could be a viable alternative variation of CAS.

In other words, instead of 10-10-4+, 10-10-5-4+.  Ten rounds from pistols, 10 from a pistol caliber repeating rifle (IE a Main Match Rifle) 5 rounds from a rifle caliber repeating rifle, and 4+ from a shotgun.   Call it what you will.   At minimum, you'd need one more target "a bit farther away" than the "regular" rifle ones.  Which means you'd need shooting bays long enough to have said targets added.  You could run it as an "experimental" extra category at any otherwise regular shoot to see if anyone would want to try it, or if it was popular.

Along the same lines, have you ever noticed that there are essentially 2 kinds of rifle caliber (By rifle caliber, I mean cartridges that won't fit in a a revolver)  cartridges?  Type 1 are rounds that would fit in a Winchester 76, 86, Large Frame Lightning, Marlin 1895, or similar rifles.  Type 2 rounds are things that would fit in a Winchester 94, Marlin 336, and other comparable rifles.   I suppose there is a potential 3rd category that sorta bridges the gap between these two types, and these would be rounds that work in the Winchester 95.  Things like .30-40 or .405 Winchester that have more "power" than the things you'll see in the 94, but are very different from what you'll see in an 86.   There may even be some overlap in some cartridges, but I don't wanna get lost in the weeds.  I've also noticed that the type 1 cartridges tend to have longer long range capability, but that just may be the fact that I'm not the best shot!

I shot plainsman at a club that added a pistol caliber rifle to the mix. (Along with the single shot rifle) the biggest problem as staging 3 long guns. No practical, safe way for 1 person to carry/stage 3 long guns.  

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I shot plainsman at a club that added a pistol caliber rifle to the mix. (Along with the single shot rifle) the biggest problem as staging 3 long guns. No practical, safe way for 1 person to carry/stage 3 long guns.  

The closest I can offer to that is what we used to call an "Iron Man" match here in New England.  4 pistols, 2 rifles, and the shotgun.  As much shooting as a 6 stage match in  3 super stages.  Someone, I can't remember who, was the designated "gun handler" to help the shooter stage and carry his or her guns.  The same procedure could be used at a 10-10-5-4, perhaps.

White Mountain Regulators in Candia, NH; have a BP match in the spring using a single shot rifle, 45-70,38-55 etc., pistol cal rifle, revolvers and shotgun. Smokeless welcome. Pretty fun;).

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Otto

On 12/26/2023 at 2:31 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Every time I hear of such nonsense, I'm reminded of a early shoot put on by a club down toward So Texas that decided to throw in a stage that included a main match pistol, rifle, shotgun, a derringer, single shot rifle, rifle caliber rifle, a bow & arrow, knife & hatchet... with the stated intent "to make sure a non club member wouldn't win the match."   I don't remember how that worked out for them, but... I haven't entered one of their cowboy matches since.  Although I have taken home a couple of their belt buckles at their mounted shoots.  

7 hours ago, Griff said:

Every time I hear of such nonsense, I'm reminded of a early shoot put on by a club down toward So Texas that decided to throw in a stage that included a main match pistol, rifle, shotgun, a derringer, single shot rifle, rifle caliber rifle, a bow & arrow, knife & hatchet... with the stated intent "to make sure a non club member wouldn't win the match."   I don't remember how that worked out for them, but... I haven't entered one of their cowboy matches since.  Although I have taken home a couple of their belt buckles at their mounted shoots.  

Generically, if you are going to do a stage like that, you need to advertise it in advance so people know to bring the extra stuff.  AND, it probably needs to be optional or scored separately from the main match for anyone that chooses the option.

To have be designed to keep visitors from winning is just wrong.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

Did you have ro pay to get it back together?

I told totally disassembled the Winchester. Who knows if I got it right with the disassembly steps. I had a drawing, but no steps. Reassembly was fairly easy until I got to the carrier. I couldn’t get the carrier past the receiver, no matter what I tried. In the end, I just screwed the carrier it in place, and force it in the to the receiver, and it just popped in to place.

Uriah